Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
I have a 02 R1. Im trying to use the 00 R1 swing arm. If that works then I want to know what needs to e changed for the rear. As for the front he mentioned the forks but I dont want to change the forks. I got lost on the spacer and what not as well as what needs to be done to the front to make the 04+ rim work. Also does anyone know if the 00 swing arm will work on my 02? I have a bent swing arm and a broken rear rim...
The 01 arm will fit, you'll need to use an 02 caliper and hanger, with an 04 wheel, in an 01 arm.
And you'll need a combination of 01 and 04 wheel spacers, but I'm not totally sure which ones, cause I got all mine mixed up and just used what fitted.

See here for more info...

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296797&highlight=01+06+conversion+discoveries

·
Registered
41 Posts
This write up has helped me out a lot, I noticed it said 04+ wheels. So if I use 06 wheels I do the exact same procedure? I was looking at 04 wheels but just got a good deal on a set of 06 wheels. thank you guys very much for all the help. Im a new r1 rider so I dont know much about them at all

·
Registered
41 Posts
also so on the o4 rear wheel I couldnt use my same rotor cause its 5 bolt, So I need the 04 rotor and caliper as well. Damn, I just bought a rear waved rotor!

·
Registered
530 Posts
The 03 caliper will work in the back. If you need front end parts to make it work I have a set of 04-06 calipers and wheels.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,419 Posts
If you are using the 01 swingarm, you can swap over the 02 rear brakes.

On my 01 I used the 01 rear brakes, and just bought an '05 FZ1 rear rotor (240mm I believe) with the stock 01 rear caliper. Works great.

Up front, 01 forks, I picked up a BrakeTech caliper relocating bracket, and used the 320mm rotors.

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
On my 00 I have 03 swingarm with 03 shock and 03 rear brake assembly + rotor with 06 wheels all mounted straight up with no mods or spacers. :yesnod

·
Registered
41 Posts
is there anyway to make an 02 rear rotor fit an 04+ wheel. Im trying to find a way to keep my rotor since it cost me like $200 and its in new condition... Mines is 6 bolt and the 04+ is 5...

·
My other bike is your sister
7,419 Posts
is there anyway to make an 02 rear rotor fit an 04+ wheel. Im trying to find a way to keep my rotor since it cost me like $200 and its in new condition... Mines is 6 bolt and the 04+ is 5...
No. Sell it off in the classifieds and buy another rear rotor.

·
That was there when i got it.
166 Posts
mattf... if you are getting this post, i could use some help. you replied to an earlier post i started about 2001 to 2010 R1 wheel swap and it helped me out... i picked up an FZ1 rear rotor for my swap project... but my rear hanger isnt lined up correctly. not sure what i'm doing wrong. i have a complete set of both wheels... bearings and spacers etc... anyway, any hints here would be great.

thanks.

·
166 Posts
ok... had to step away and take a break. maybe i was over thinking it. i used one spacer from the 2010s and one from the 2001s... used two washers between the brake caliper and the hanger... fits up nice. spins free in the caliper. not sure if thats how you guys did it, but it seems to work for me.

·
166 Posts
check your bolt pattern don't the newer wheels have six bolt rotors?

·
AKA YamaHue
161 Posts
Great post! all the info I need thx

81 - 100 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
39 Participants
R1nzler
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing