Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
It's better to live one day
10 Posts
Need Help.... Ive done complete change over on my 99 r1. The project started with just rims then i ended up completely dismantiling everything.

Problem:
The rear rims bearing are much larger than the ones on my 99 rim. I believe i will need new spacer circlip etc. Are all rear bearings different by year or does anyone know if its only 99-02, 02-10 specific?

·
Chain Breaker
1,589 Posts
Has anyone measured exactly the different offsets of the rear wheel before running this way? There are slight differences I am fairly sure. How much of a diffence the sprocket or the wheel being out of line by 1.5mm on th bike makes I don't know. Iam going measuring all this precisely this weekend I have beed doing an other thread on this project here
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328129
On this thread you will see that there are cad drawings for both bst wheels, the offsets are different.

·
Knee, ankle, arse, off
128 Posts
One important point to note:

98-99 R1's have forks which are 15mm longer than all the others. So for 98-99's only, if you are going to fit 04-06 forks you need to get them lenghtened (and yes 04-06 forks can be lengthened safely).

Otherwise you will have insufficient rake and trail and the bike will tank slap you into oblivion.

Fitting 02-06 tripples gets some of the rake and trail back but it will still be a head shaker - and a tank slapper if you run a taller 190 x 55 rear or a lot of rear preload.

Note this is for 98-99's only. Putting 04-06 forks on 00 and up is pretty much a straight swap.

·
Chain Breaker
1,589 Posts
One important point to note:

98-99 R1's have forks which are 15mm longer than all the others. So for 98-99's only, if you are going to fit 04-06 forks you need to get them lenghtened (and yes 04-06 forks can be lengthened safely).

Otherwise you will have insufficient rake and trail and the bike will tank slap you into oblivion.

Fitting 02-06 tripples gets some of the rake and trail back but it will still be a head shaker - and a tank slapper if you run a taller 190 x 55 rear or a lot of rear preload.

Note this is for 98-99's only. Putting 04-06 forks on 00 and up is pretty much a straight swap.
Cheers for that but I am putting 08 forks on a 03 so they seem to be almost the same lenght, the 08 ones are about 5mm shorter so I am running them1mm under the yokes.
Now the rear is a lot harder, things just do not line up. The rear caliper off the 08 will not fit and when I use the 03 one the disc hits the caliper I have had to get a 1.1mm bigger spacer made for the disc side I havent tried it yet but I am hopeful this will do.

·
Knee, ankle, arse, off
128 Posts
Cheers for that but I am putting 08 forks on a 03 so they seem to be almost the same lenght, the 08 ones are about 5mm shorter so I am running them1mm under the yokes.
Now the rear is a lot harder, things just do not line up. The rear caliper off the 08 will not fit and when I use the 03 one the disc hits the caliper I have had to get a 1.1mm bigger spacer made for the disc side I havent tried it yet but I am hopeful this will do.
Sorry my post was a general comment not directed at your swap.

·
R1's all the way !
136 Posts
Righto , finally got my wheel conversion done on my 1998 R1 , had it all checked over by the local yamaha dealer (which I suggest everyone who does this do ) to make sure everything was done correctly and I dont go assing of my bike halfway down the road because I stuffed something up

Used 04 R1 front and rear rims , keep the standard 98 forks , just used the 298mm 04 r6 front rotors and spaced the calipers in 1mm to fit .

Rear used an 02 rear brake calliper and calliper mount with 04 rear brake rotor , had to get a longer brake hose plus the old one was buggered .

Turned out great , handles alot better surprisingly plus ity looks alot better than with the silver three spoke wheels.

Rest of pics are here
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5094313#post5094313

·
That was there when i got it.
166 Posts
Adapters for what? Your brakes? I just used washers between my calipers and the forks. That spaces them in just enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread but does anyone know if you replace the brake calipers, if the brake lines are interchangeable? For example, if i change the rear calipers on a 2003 r1 to a 2004 r1, do i use 2003 brake lines or 2004 brake lines, and do they interchange well? or for example if i change the front calipers from 2003 to 2004, which brake lines do I use?

Thanks in advance

101 - 109 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
39 Participants
R1nzler
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing