Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey pro's.. i purchased a wrecked 01 r1 thats probaly been sitting out in the winter months and other seasons for at least a year.. tried the battery, dump old gas out and still cant get it starting.. is it the carburator??

·
brian (bam)
1,494 Posts
green death is what happens when the carbs sit with gas in them
for many seasons without starting ,the gas congeals and looks
like green goo..you have to pull all carbs and rebuild them
then resync ...did you try new spark plugs first that usually get's
it going

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
vulaevu said:
Hey pro's.. i purchased a wrecked 01 r1 thats probaly been sitting out in the winter months and other seasons for at least a year.. tried the battery, dump old gas out and still cant get it starting.. is it the carburator??
You need fuel/air, compression, and spark for the engine to run. You might want to start with making sure the battery is well charged first.

Then if she still doesn't run I'd check on the spark first. Pull the plug wires and use an extra plug to see if you have spark. Just make sure the plug is grounded.

As for the fuel, you may have to clean the carbs. Just take them off the bike and use some carb cleaner. Make sure you get the jets well. Depends on how bad they are. May have to rebuild them.

She will start. :yesnod She just needs some love. :thumbup

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
take the tank off then remove the top of the air box. Then while turning it over have someone spray carb cleaner lightly over the intake's to the carbs. This will get it to run if you got spark, but I advise you rebuild the carbs to get rid of the green shit that always shows up with no use for a long time

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. The battery is 100% new so for sure that should not be the problem.. is it easy to take out the carb or can i just spray into it.. do i have to wait for it for it to dry or can i just start it up..

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
vulaevu said:
Thanks guys.. The battery is 100% new so for sure that should not be the problem.. is it easy to take out the carb or can i just spray into it.. do i have to wait for it for it to dry or can i just start it up..
Start it while spraying carb cleaner or anything combustible over the intake of the carbs. This is just force feeding the motor fuel.
I remember when I was a kid I used to use WD40 to get old pice of shit mini bikes started. But don't use WD40 on your r1. Its not a clean burning fuel. use carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Just a little till it runs on its own. Too much is not good either it can cause a flame to backfire out the intake. so be careful.
:rock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts