Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got off my ass and finished this project. To start with a little background, I always thought the 04-06 tail was a little too wide. The 07-08 narrowed down the wideness, cleaned it up and definitely looked better. I bought the tail and undertail fairing from somebody here on the forum. Overall it fit and worked fine however there were just a few things that stood out and really bothered me. One being, I couldn't use the 07-08 seat as the subframe mounts were in different locations. The 04-06 seat did not work with the 07-08 fairing. It had a gap in the fairing and the seat by the trunk lock. It was too wide on the sides making it look out of place.

After some basic measurements on the frame mounts, I decided to do a full rear subframe swap to fully incorporate and here's what I did to make it work.

Parts required:

07-08 subframe
07-08 subframe tank bracket
07-08 undertail w/taillight
07-08 tail fairing
07-08 rider and passenger seat.
4 m10 bolts that are at least 5mm longer than stock
4 m10 spacers 4.5mm in length
1 4mm m5 spacer
07-08 plastic battery holder
04-06 plastic frame for the other electronics

Tools needed:
1. Torx for subframe don't have the number at this time
2. 3 and 5mm allen wrench
3. Philips and regular screwdriver
4. needle nose pliers
5. dremel with sanding and cutting wheels
6. 8, 10 and 12mm socket
7. a good ruler
8. cordless drill to drill out some rivets.

Here are some before and after pics.

Attachments

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bike Prep - To remove the the stock subframe:
1. Remove both seats.
2. Remove tank
3. Remove tail fairing
4. Remove tank bracket
5. Detach all electricals and place over the engine bay, remove battery,
6. Remove exhaust holder covers and exhaust bolts
7. Now remove subframe by loosening the 4 bolts with a torx head.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Subframe Prep Before Install
There was a design wiring change and some components were moved. From the 04-06 model, the ecu was moved to the back under the riders seat and the regulator/rectifier to the front inside the airbox. For this to work, I made some mods to keep the original harness locations. One break was that the 2nd plastic piece that all of the electrical components mount to worked with the 07-08 plastic battery holder and subframe. The real main issue though was in mounting the regulator/rectifier in the same approximate location.

Pic 1. shows you immediately some differences. The 04 is on the the left, the 07 on the right.

The 04-06 battery holder has molded parts and riveted brackets for the reg/rect. Pic 2.

While on the 07-08, it has molded parts for what looks like the lean angle kill switch and some type of wire guide on the right. Pic 3.

With the dremel I began cutting off this unneeded part as close to the holder wall as possible. Pic 4.

On the 04, I drilled out the rivets for the metal bracket to use on later. Pic 5.

Removed the brackets for the kill switch and put the 2 next to each other. I did this to find a place to install the metal bracket I had taken off earlier. Pic 6.

Found the equivalent area, drilled 4 holes, attached clips to where the rivets had been and screen it into place. Pic 7.

For the 2nd hole, I drilled into the batter holder and used a longer bolt and a spare spacer that I had which had the same amount of distance the bracket had. Pic 8. Installed the regulator/rectifier. Pic 9.

Test fitted into the subframe. Pic 10.

On the 04 subframe there was a 2nd bracket, but I chose not to use it. Pic 11.

Attachments

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Subframe Install

Attach undertail to the subframe, 4 screws hold it in place. run taillight and signals wire between undertail and subframe. Pic 1, already shows the subframe already mounted. Note it is easier to get this on before installing the subframe if the exhaust is already there.)
Insert washers and tighten bolts to the frame, there will be some play and it helps to keep the subframe as far down as possible to help with the exhaust mount later. Pic 2. Also in Pic 2. I measured and drilled a hole in the subrame that will be used later to mount the Y-pipe
The exhaust mounts are slightly higher on the 07 model. High enough that to make this work, first remove rubber exhaust spacers and pull the aluminum spacers out. Then only using the rubber spacers, insert the exhaust bolts and washer on other end. Tighten. Pic 3.
Rear view. Pic 4.
Now the drilled hole in the subframe is in the same location as on the 04 unit. I drilled measuring from the center line, put the 04 unit on top of the 08 subframe, dropped a small screwdriver and marked the spot where I drilled the hole. Here I install 4mm spacer to the m5 bolt attached to the exhaust hanger. Tighten all bolts. Pic 5.
Bolt down (2x10mm) the battery tray with regulator/rectifier to the subframe. Pic 6.
Install the 2nd plastic piece (04-06) components holder and 3 plastic yamaha rivets. Pic 7.
Move the wiring harness back. Note though the 07 wiring space is on the starboard side of the subframe, I still kept it to the port side. Pic 8.
Install the 07 tank bracket. Pic 9.
Route all cables properly. Pic 10.
Install Battery housing unit. Pic 11.
Install exhaust cover. Pic 12.
Assemble trunk lock and reattach cable. Pic 13.
Attach tail fairing to undertail, 2 plastic rivets on top, 2 push rivets below and a screw under the passenger seat. Pic 14.
Install seats and tank. Pic 15.

Attachments

·
Custom Bike Builder
1,258 Posts
It does look better. I was wondering this the other day. Good job.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fat asses need not apply... :lol

·
Considering Another R1
478 Posts
I like this, but seems like alot of work and money to gather all. Nessasary parts. What about the exhaust? Did you have to make any modifications or were the mounts spots pretty close to the 04/06..... Or is that an 07-08 exhaust ??

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like this, but seems like alot of work and money to gather all. Nessasary parts. What about the exhaust? Did you have to make any modifications or were the mounts spots pretty close to the 04/06..... Or is that an 07-08 exhaust ??

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
04 akrapovic exhaust. No mods except what is in post 4.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Kangaroo!
Now that my bike is in the house for the winter, it is time for me to start doing this!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you still using the 04-06 tank?
If so, how well does the 07-08 seat lineup with the 04-06 tank?

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,397 Posts
kangaroo!

Goodjob :thumbup

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
16 Participants
Kangaroo
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing