Lovelly any more pix of the bike ?

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
no, the 07 frame mount is too wide

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
yes and longer by 5mm each than the torx bolts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Warning

This is not safe guys i tried this on my bike, i had the 07-08 subframe on my 04-06, i had it like 4 months and ride like 5000km with this it. I was riding with my girlfriend at the back when we hit a bump at a little to fast that logic might have said, and we felt a bad noise, like a BIG CRACK, istantly we stoped and quickly figured out what happened. The subframe broke, the upper bolts, one of each side. We were lucky to not have a really serious accident.

If you want a fresh new look on your bike i sujest you stick with the oem 04-06 subframe, like i have right now :).

Pros of 04-06 subframe

-Safety
-Very easy install
-OEM fitted electronics
-Easy swap of tail fairings if you like the 04-06 tail
-Cheaper (no need to buy 07-08 subframe)
-Can bolt on the heathshield
-Can bolt on the Y pipe

Cons 04-06 subframe

-Backseat is not perfectly clean fitting (i supose you can do some modding to the seat piece)
-Front seat is not bolted on to the bike (its not as dangerous or unconfortable as you think, you allmost dont notice it but i think you can make some mods on it so you can finally bolt it.
-I think you have to do some really minor modding on the license plate bolt holes but i could fit it in without doing any mods.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
This is not safe guys i tried this on my bike, i had the 07-08 subframe on my 04-06, i had it like 4 months and ride like 5000km with this it. I was riding with my girlfriend at the back when we hit a bump at a little to fast that logic might have said, and we felt a bad noise, like a BIG CRACK, istantly we stoped and quickly figured out what happened. The subframe broke, the upper bolts, one of each side. We were lucky to not have a really serious accident

Good that you caught this mod and posted a warning but I do have one question. Did you follow Roo's instructions to the "T"? Just wondering if you did something different that may have affected the integrity of the install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used Roos instructions as help, not as tutorial, i didnt mod the plastics of the battery, for example, on Roos tutorial the Y tube is bolted on to the bike, yes, but drilling the subframe, it is very dangerous to drill it, the subframe is a highly engineered "one piece" component, you compromise the integrity of the subframe if you drill it, so even not drilling the subframe, even then, it end up breaking, i think its just a matter of time that if you installl the 07-08 subframe on the 04-06 it will end up breaking.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
As stated above, my mod and your mod are not the same. The correct sentence would be:
"Your mod is dangerous" not mine.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Post some pics of the crack. I can probably tell you the reason for the crack.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looks like you used the stock torx bolts. Did you use the 5mm aluminum spacers for each bolt?

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, i used spacers for all 4 bolts of course, i used the stock torx for the upper bolts that are long enough, stock it comes the upper is the shorter and the lower is the longer, i used the lower stock one and put them on the upper that the distance is shorter, so its enough, just to keep the look a little cleaner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, i used spacers for all 4 bolts of course, i used the stock torx for the upper bolts that are long enough, stock it comes the upper is the shorter and the lower is the longer, i used the lower stock one and put them on the upper that the distance is shorter, so its enough, just to keep the look a little cleaner.
i bought two longer ones for the lowers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know its an old thread but do you have any updates on this? I'm currently gathering parts to do this mod. Want to know if you have had any issues.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
16 Participants
Kangaroo
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing