Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 r1 and i was thinking about lowering it. is this a good thing to do or not? and if so what would be the best way to do so. thanks for any info.

·
The 02 R1 is very Rated `R`!
821 Posts
I went with this link and kickstand from McCoy www.tobefast.com.

All you need is a set of stock link bearings and wrench to adjust it.

You can lower your bike a little with the factory kickstand but I would recommend an adjustable kickstand like the Schnitz or cut your factory one down.

Attachments

·
The 02 R1 is very Rated `R`!
821 Posts
I had a link similar to this on my R6. It only had one setting on it.

I like the adjustable ones so that you can go back to stock height without removing any bolts.

I also had problems with the link using brass bushings instead of bearings. It start squeaking alot and was very hard to remove the bolts after having it installed over a period of time.

Just my 2 [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just lowerd my 2001 r1 3 inches in the rear front i did 1 inch bike looks awsome i get alot of compliments on it the only bad thing is you cant really have passengers because the bike will scrape on bumps if your going to do anything i would say do like a 2 inch drop i will try to get some pics up for you guys

·
Registered
179 Posts
mine is lowered 1.5 front and 3 rear with bot-ons ext. pics below. mine scrapes even over speed bumps in a parking lot or hit a bump in the road too fast. it has grinded the bottom of the exhaust a little but im not too worried bout it. im 230 lbs too so you need to factor in ur weight too. it might be the right height till you sit on it.:thumbup

·
Teh one wheel peel!!!
451 Posts
i lowered mine 3 in the rear and about 2.75 up front. to me its alot more comfortable to ride
if you cant find the stuff for your model try tobefast.com

i know ima catch hell for posting a pic of my bike up here but the hell with it

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
i lowered mine 3 in the rear and about 2.75 up front. to me its alot more comfortable to ride
if you cant find the stuff for your model try tobefast.com

i know ima catch hell for posting a pic of my bike up here but the hell with it
that bike is tight man. probably to low for some of this kneedraggers but it looks good:thumbup

·
Ginger's Pillar of Strength
801 Posts
I am in the process of lowering my 2001. I have the diamond 1",3" link. I understand that it is rider preference as it relates to handling and that 1" will not effect handling "TOO" much.
This is what I am shooting for as I am 5'4". I have had the bike for a long time now, and am quite used to riding it, but just want that extra secure footing for the hills and the loose stuff. I have had "several" instances now that have made me more motivated to at least try the 1" drop.

the problem I am having is that I can't find which way the link is supposed to go on. One side has one hole; the other side has two. Which end should go towards the front/back?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.