Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anybody that has a Harbor Freight/Pitsburg Chock knows they work awesome, as long as they are pushed against a wall in the garage or bolted on a trailer or truck bed. For another $10 spent at Harbor freight you can make the chock stay in place even on a slippery garage floor...

I bought 2 Self-Adhesive Rubber Safety Step Mat squares from Harbor Freight (Western Safety - Item#98858):
Self-Adhesive Rubber Safety Step Mat

Then sanded the bottom of the chock with some sand paper to help the mat stick. Once sanded be sure to clean the surface. I then heated the chock with a torch to get it nice and hot then went over the rubber mat with the torch quick to get the glue nice and sticky.

Once the bottom of the chock is covered in the rubber safety mat you'll be able to use the chock in the middle of the garage without anybody holding it!

Also a helpful modification is to add some washers between the wheel adapter piece and the cradle stop. This helps add stability to the unit. I've left my bike in the chock for days on end without the slightest worry of it tipping over

1800 Lb Capacity Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock
^Link to the chock

I know its no Baxley but hard to beat it for the price!

· what
04 R1
665 Posts
Looks good! :thumbup stay safe.

· Registered
206 Posts
To funny. Just last night I took that same chock off my trailer and put it in the garage. Had my wife to stand against it so I could push the bike on the chock. She lost her balance but it was enough for me to get the bike on the stand. Good idea tho.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one that would have people stand on the chock.

With the new pads on it it kind of makes it a pain when you're used to sliding it. I could slide the chock around the garage before to move the bike, now I can't move the stand without picking it up with no bike in it.

· Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅
897 Posts
To add to this about Harbor Freight stuff I got the bike stand for $40 which is crap and barley fits the bike because the arm is almost too wide which makes it impossible to put it on the stand alone, but it works for $40.. I wouldn't recommend leaving it on the stand over night or unattended because your bike might meet its side when you get back to it :crash Works for lubing and cleaning the chain and working on the bike though with what ever you might have to do, but you get what you pay for :fact

Looks cool if that matters to you :crash

Attachments

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,162 Posts
My bike has been sitting on one of those exact stands for years....no issues.... I can even sit on the bike with it on the stand...I find it to be pretty sturdy actually...

OH! YOU HAVE THE LIFTERS ON BACKWARDS IN THAT PICTURE! The long ends are supposed to be toward the front of the bike. The way you have it would make it pretty impossible to put it on the stand. Swap them right for left and your issue will be solved:fact

See how they are mounted here?

See how you have yours

· Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅
897 Posts
My bike has been sitting on one of those exact stands for years....no issues.... I can even sit on the bike with it on the stand...I find it to be pretty sturdy actually...

OH! YOU HAVE THE LIFTERS ON BACKWARDS IN THAT PICTURE! The long ends are supposed to be toward the front of the bike. The way you have it would make it pretty impossible to put it on the stand. Swap them right for left and your issue will be solved:fact

See how they are mounted here?

See how you have yours
Thank you sir!!! I will fix that right when I get home :thumbup that's probably why I didn't trust it lol :crash

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,162 Posts
:thumbup....

· YEEEEEEE!!!!!
1,985 Posts
I have the same rear stand, and also have the bike lift from Harbor Freight as well! I leave the bike on the stand all winter long without worries.

Attachments

· YEEEEEEE!!!!!
1,985 Posts
To the OP: I see you're in Oakdale MN. We're practically next door neighbors. :beerchug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.