Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how the hell these damn long black clips under tail could be removed...I tried to push or to pull them out with no results at all...
could you explain what is the trick for?
I can't ask to yamaha's technicals cause they are in vacation here so a little help is very appreciated...thanx anticipately!:makeout

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
squeeze it tight and push down...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
r1 2007....mmmmm.....squeeze,what do you mean practically?
I'm speaking of the clips that you need to remove to unlock upper tail, the bigger one's near the end of slip-on shield (the one's that don't need the screwdriver for understanding...they look like black plugs ), I tried everything ...but still there,please give me some more detailed suggestion!

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
im not quite sure what your talking about exactly but if im thinking of the same thing then push in on the center and the rest may pop out easily...

·
Registered
56 Posts
No wrong....if you're talking about the ones I think then you don't "pop" the centre you DO pull like bejesus to get em out. (Pliers).
They're even more of a pain to pop back in.
CONCLUSION: They are crap...............

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I used a small screwdriver to hold the outside in place and used some pliers to pull the pin down. Worked well and they just popped loose. Too bad I didn't figure that out until I had almost completely destroyed one of them by just ripping at it with the pliers.

·
4,087 Posts
Yeah, the actual way it's supposed to work is you hold the outer sheath down (the base of the pin) and you can pull out the "pin" part. I have been doing them by hand lately, but I don't know if that's because I wore it our by forcing them with pliers. I grab the pin with my thumb and middle finger, and push my index finger in between the pin head and the base to hold the base down.

·
The Dovahkiin
1,034 Posts
Yeah, the actual way it's supposed to work is you hold the outer sheath down (the base of the pin) and you can pull out the "pin" part. I have been doing them by hand lately, but I don't know if that's because I wore it our by forcing them with pliers. I grab the pin with my thumb and middle finger, and push my index finger in between the pin head and the base to hold the base down.
This is the correct way to do it. They take absolutely no effort to take off and put back in, if done properly.

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
I pulled them out with pliers - like gave them a real short powerful tug and they popped out. It was rough, but it worked!

Certainly could be another way to do it though...
:iamwithst

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
take off both seat off... and squeeze it tight and push down...

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
I used a small screwdriver to hold the outside in place and used some pliers to pull the pin down. Worked well and they just popped loose. Too bad I didn't figure that out until I had almost completely destroyed one of them by just ripping at it with the pliers.
:stpd:

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
In the Yamaha parts list they're called rivets. There's a bunch of them on the bike and they don't cost much. I ordered a dozen and put them in my tool box after losing one and savaging another.

·
4,087 Posts
In the Yamaha parts list they're called rivets. There's a bunch of them on the bike and they don't cost much. I ordered a dozen and put them in my tool box after losing one and savaging another.
I don't think these are the same things you are talking about. I'm pretty sure these clips being talked about in this thread are the only ones like it on the bike. You are probably talking about the penny-sized ones with the button in the middle

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
I don't think these are the same things you are talking about. I'm pretty sure these clips being talked about in this thread are the only ones like it on the bike. You are probably talking about the penny-sized ones with the button in the middle
If what you are referring to is the part 17 on the breakdown then they are rivets. My mistake, now that I have a bunch of spares, is that there are 3 or more different part numbers for these rivets. The ones I had trouble with were under the headlights.

·
4,087 Posts
If what you are referring to is the part 17 on the breakdown then they are rivets. My mistake, now that I have a bunch of spares, is that there are 3 or more different part numbers for these rivets. The ones I had trouble with were under the headlights.
Yeah, the ones everyone is talking about isn't on that part diagram. It's on the "COWLING 1" diagram I believe. It still calls them rivets on there too though. They are shaped like little pawns from a chess game kind of.

The ones I remember under the headlights just have a button in the middle, and you just have to push the button in until it pops and stays in, and then the whole rivet pulls right out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.