Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bad Spellers...UNTIE!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having elusive and intermittent electrical problems.
Another board member (BSR-1) noticed that my Cylinder identification sensor cable was nicked, and pointed it out to me (thanks John). He noticed it because his bike had the same issue, as did two other riders' bikes that I am aware of.

Apparently, what happens, is that this wire can get nicked by the radiator fan. That causes the bike to run like crap. One rider told me that he got stranded when the wire was severed by the radiator fan.

So I thought I'd submit a post to encourage you to look at yours and be sure you don't have the same problem.

Its a pain in the butt to change because of the tight access...and it took me about an hour to do. It's only one screw and one connector, but the tight working space makes it difficult.

The Cylinder identification sensor is screwed into the top of the cylinder head cover, near the front edge in the center.

Attachments

·
Bad Spellers...UNTIE!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Start by removing the right side body work and locating the cable.

This is what mine looked like:

Attachments

·
Bad Spellers...UNTIE!!
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the easiest way to access the screw that fastens the connector to the cylinder head cover would be to remove the radiator...but that's unnecessary if you have a little patience.

What I did was:

1) Remove the screws (one on each side) that secure the radiator to the frame at the top, and just loosen the bottom radiator mounting screw.

2) Remove the upper radiator hose.

3) Pull the radiator forward as far as possible to offer increased access to the Cylinder identification sensor screw.

4) Use a small ratchet with an allen socket to remove the Cylinder identification sensor screw. The screw has loc-tight applied, so you can't really break it free and turn it by hand. I had to use the rachet for most of the screw removal. I was only able to get about 1/8 turn at a time, so it took a couple of minutes to get the screw out.

5) Simply pull the sensor out of the head cover. It sits in there like a kind of plug.

5) Disconnect the connector at the other end. Hold down the tap with a finger nail or a small screwdriver, and gently pull the connectors apart.

6) Replace the old Cylinder identification sensor & cable with a new one.

7) Route the cable so it runs under and behind a spark plug cable. That will use up the slack in the cable, and make it less likely to get hit by the fan.

8) Screw the sensor side into the Cylinder Head

9) Plug in the connector

10) Attach the radiator hose

11) Put the radiator back into position and attach the mounting screws (remember to tighten the bottom screw)

12) Top off radiator fluid.

13) Put your body work back on.

I think that's it.
Maybe some of you who have done this before can improve this process, but I hope this helps :)

·
Brake later, Gas earlier.
724 Posts
thanks for saving me tons of trouble.

heres me cause of this :

least i wasnt stranded too far from help :)

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
This fixed my problem with the bogging/backfire issue I had. Ordered the Cam Position Sensor, but did a temp fix for now and it's working fine.

Before:

Temp Fix:

If you've done the smog plates before, you can do this through the small triangle opening under the air box. Fuel tank does not have to be removed, just propped up.

Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I noticed mine was nicked after installing the block off plates. Well, a couple days ago I went underneath the airbox to put electrical tape around it and tie wrap it away from the blades. After putting everything back. The bike won't start.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like my R1 didn't start because of my damaged Cylinder identification sensor. So like easbaysav, I too removed the sensor and spliced it, wrapped it with electrical tape and my bike fired up. I'm so glad that's what it was. Track day is comming up in just over a week for me. I was getting stressed. Thanks to Bill A for starting this thread, and for all those who had productive feedback!!!

·
Veni Vidi Vici !!!!
673 Posts
:jump Thank you soooo much!

I really love this forum.:fact

The same problem happened to me. First my R1 was cutting out intermittently

then it became progressively worse...today the error code# 11 showed up.

Thank God for the error codes :lol And thank you for posting the solution!:bow

I went in from the front simply removing the fairing and 3 radiator bolts.

I didn't have to remove anything other than that to get to the sensor.

It took me about 10 minutes to remove it.

:secret: (I have racing bodywork, really simple to remove)

Another 10 minutes to solder the cord and about 10 to put it all back together!

The test drive assured me this was the only problem! :thumbup

She is back to her normal self once again...So am I :lol

·
blue blurrrr go zoom
3,397 Posts
well i think i got this same prob now...i think the wire got hit by the fan, im not sure...it a wire and plug right in between the ignition coils and the fan...my bike runs fine but 1 wire looked horrible, noticed today doin a sparkplug change..not sure if this is my prob for sure, whats this sensor cost and its just a easy pull out and replace job?

·
burnin' up the streets
8,786 Posts
well i think i got this same prob now...i think the wire got hit by the fan, im not sure...it a wire and plug right in between the ignition coils and the fan...my bike runs fine but 1 wire looked horrible, noticed today doin a sparkplug change..not sure if this is my prob for sure, whats this sensor cost and its just a easy pull out and replace job?
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=556380&category=motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2007&fveh=12918

#31 65.00 + shipping

pretty easy to replace, just hard to get to.

·
blue blurrrr go zoom
3,397 Posts
thanks for the link!!! y does it call it a cam position sensor tho if its the cylinder id. sensor....
wont take to much time, i know hoe to get around my r1 just hope he ships fast!! just did a sparkplug change so its fresh in the brain...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
IoMTT04R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing