Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Objects in the mirror.....none
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I hate the stock dunlops on the R1, so I learned rolling burnouts last night....first gear tho... get up to about 30 mph and two finger the clutch and two finger the front brake...give it some throttle and some front brake and let out some clucth....it will get to a point where the tire will just break loose...its actually really smooth... sorry just psyched that I learned these... :rock

Oh yeah...stand upon the pegs and learn over the front to unweight the rear....that is kinda key too!! :p

·
Banned
827 Posts
CONGRADULATIONS MAN!

It's always great when you can learn something new and then be able to repeat it over and over again.

Before you know it you'll be rolling them around parked cop cars! LMAO

NOTE: Unless you are friends with the cop, I do not advise this!

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
Ahhaaa...something else I wanna dive into. My front tire is a little flat looking (wheelie landings I suppose) but my back tire still looks good. So I wanna learn rolling burnouts to kinda even it out, so I can replace both of them at once. Better learn some straight ones before I start asking about circles huh. I need to find an empty parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
COol Factor

Yea, there is definitley a nice touch to rolling burnouts. They look pretty smooth. I'd be willing to try them except my tires can barely handle all the wheelies...

Besides that, I dont think losing it trying one would look very cool. Mad props to you though!

·
Banned
827 Posts
I sat down to write a how too but remembered seeing a fellow stunter I know at another site who wrote this:

motoxpete said:
alright man first thing is you don't want to get the tire spinning that fast cause if you do it will be harder to keep it going strait.....or to do a donut for that matter.once you get it spinning keep it at a low rpm,beleave me it's much harder to control when it's spinning fast.Also put alot of weight on the front end....another thing, I find it easier to do this when I am slowing down...it helps put more weight on the front tire.just get going like 5 mph then grap the front brake alittle,you'll feel the front end dive alittle....at this time you should already over the front of the bike....don't dump the clutch.....just let is slip out.
lets go over it

1.Get going a little
2.Stand up and weight the front end.
3.start to pull in the front brake.
4.when the front supension starts to compress,give it gas and slip the clutch.
5.keep the tire spinning at a low rpm....like I said if it's spinning fast it will be harder to control.

another thing that helped me was....I would do a regular burnout with my feel on the ground,then I would let off the brake a bit and get a feel on how it will roll.Then throw you feet on the pegs...before you know it you'll be dunkin donuts all day!!

It's hard to explain in words but I hope I helped a little.Good luck let me know how you turn out
the author is MotoXPete
with the stunt group signs of insanity

thanks Pete!

·
We love the subs!
3,302 Posts
Aaron Yates

I have to give HUGE ups to Aaron Yates. I have a new found respect for the guy because at MidAmerica Raceway in Elkhart, Wisconsin last weekend, I saw him eating dinner Sunday night with his wife & kid. He was still signing autographs with his kid on his lap & trying to carry a conversation with his wife.

I can see where that would get old realllllly fast! Most riders would have said to come back later.

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
hhmm well.. I tried to get it going and give it some gas and all that good stuff but for some reason it wouldn't spin..

so I think I might just see what it feels like and do the regular one with my feet on the ground and letting off the break a little...

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats up everyone! so your getting the rolling burnouts down, sounds good , ive been doing them for a while now just becare full of slipping the clutch to much where it will grab traction and lock the front tire and wash you out, its happened to me a few times but im usaully starting them at like 60 65 mph and accelerating to 80! they get hairy around that speed but the funnest thing to do on a R1! that is besides spinnin donuts and figure 8s hahaahhaaaa keep up the good work and take them slow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
$burnouts$

tires must be cheap were you guys come from. i dont think its very fun or does it even look cool to watch $400 go up in smoke and not even catch a buzz. but to each their own:iamwithst

·
I yearn to be eaten by R1
11 Posts
That was a pretty impressive vid.

I am wondering though,
was he pissed off at the tire sponsors, or the mechanic team?
It seemed like he was venting a little.
:D :mad: :rock :p

·
Banned
827 Posts
Re: $burnouts$

casper2001R1 said:
tires must be cheap were you guys come from. i dont think its very fun or does it even look cool to watch $400 go up in smoke and not even catch a buzz. but to each their own:iamwithst
400?????????? God lord man!

I get brand new 010'z and 207'z for 75-100 bucks.........

·
My R1 Eats My Pay Check!
152 Posts
Hey Casper, where are located? If you are in the DFW area, I can get you a set of race take-offs for $125 (includes installation).

·
Dark Horse
3,075 Posts
tires must be cheap were you guys come from. i dont think its very fun or does it even look cool to watch $400 go up in smoke and not even catch a buzz. but to each their own
Then don't do them.

Besides, you have a lot more to be concerned about than rolling burnouts if you're paying $400 for a tire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
how i learned

i think the easiest way to do a rolling burnout is sitting on the tank. it takes alot of weight off the ass end and u dont have to give it much gas at all(plus its not as bad on the tire). the down side of this is that since the weight is at the front, the back end will want to swing out more if u are not balanced properly. another bad thing is that since you are up higher it will be harder to catch the bike if it starts to go down. the main point to doing these burnouts is good clean and even pavement. i almost dumped my bike once cuz my front tire hit some sand and the tire locked causing me to almost biff. (when u get these down try putting your legs over the windsheild. that just looks cool):cool: :thumbup

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
75 Participants
filly
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing