Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a number of posts on how to remove the fuel pump from the gas tank, mainly because I searched for them yesterday while trying to remove the ship-in-a-bottle bastard myself. It seems a number of people have encountered the same difficulty as I did as there were a number of responses but no pictures! So, since I smelled of gasoline, was dirty, tired and frustrated, figured why not take some pics.
This is from my '02 but I know that the same problem occurs on newer bikes so my guess is that all of the fuel injected bikes (2002 and newer) use the same fuel pump. The problem is that the manual says to simply "pull the fuel pump straight out of the gas tank." Of course that proves to be more than a simple task as there are a couple of plastic tab extensions that protrude out and make the fuel pump assembly larger than the opening in the tank.

After much wiggling, prying, etc., what I ended up doing is removing a small plate/cage assembly from the main assembly while inside the tank, then working it all out of the tank. Here are the parts:

Assembled:

Apart:

Point of attachment, a slide-lock assembly:

In order to avoid this difficulty for any possible future dis-assembly, I trimmed the plastic tab extensions so that now the entire assembly can pull straight out, as intended.

These tabs:

Get trimmed to this:

So for the first removal, you need to push down on the small plate/cage assembly so that it slides off of the pump, then you can remove the pump easily and trim it to work better for future use.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
OMG! You removed the tabs! That's like removing the tags from your mattress!

:hammer:

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG! You removed the tabs! That's like removing the tags from your mattress!

:hammer:
My affairs are in order, I'm ready for prison.

I hope you noticed that I tried to be considerate and not bombard you with PMs this time...

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
My affairs are in order, I'm ready for prison.

I hope you noticed that I tried to be considerate and not bombard you with PMs this time...
No problem... I don't mind answering questions. But it looks like you knew what you were doing.

:thumbup

·
Registered
16 Posts
& dont forget that if you disassemble the pump & seperate them To clean the Mesh filter as when this is clogged itll give symtom of jerking when you crack the throttle open .
That you dont leave the small [O ring] in the upper part of the pump .as petrol will just flow when you hold the Tank upright when rebuilt .
So make sure you set the small O Ring in the Bottom /or mounting section of the Pump ,Then petrol will only flow when presurised .

·
JOY BRINGER
394 Posts
I had already planned on cutting the tabs off but how the hell do you get it OUT?
I might just cut them off still in the tank and then fish them out.

WTF is the purpose of the tabs and how did they get it in the tank in the first place?

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had already planned on cutting the tabs off but how the hell do you get it OUT?
When you start to pull the pump out, the tabs will hit on the opening. Push down where they make contact and the sub-assembly will slide down and then release from the main assembly. Then you should be able to work it out.

I might just cut them off still in the tank and then fish them out.
That's another alternative.

WTF is the purpose of the tabs and how did they get it in the tank in the first place?
I believe that the manufacturer of the pump is Denso, I suspect that this pump is used in multiple applications, not specific to the R1. The tabs may be locating tabs for another application. I suspect that they slid the sub-assembly in place while in the tank, then laughed at the possibility of the difficulties subsequent operators might experience.
Good luck.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you know where I can just buy the little attachment? The guy I bought the tank from didn't tell me that the fuel pump was not complete.
That I don't know but it is a Denso pump, here's a pic of the part for you:

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Man, why or why I did not search for petrol pump removal before doing it ...
Your excellent post would have saved me lots of time.. First time i was removing it was 2 am before I was suppose to leave for track. Tired, high on petrol fumes, i was swearing at this thing , htf was it not going out.
The only way I could take it out is gently bend those tabs while holding pump at an angle aaand tightly pull it out.

And today again - had to remove it to insert tank foam. Same thing, could not see why they've done it like that.. I couldn't see you could un-clip that bracket, so managed again to pull it out as-is, and without breaking so far anything. I think luck.

Now i will cut those damn things off first thing. And true, I also could not understand why that thing is done like that - looked like something is missing / not plugged in. YOu have a good explanation why - probably re-used from some other application.

Just to confirm this procedure applies to 04-06 for anyone who will do it first time!.

Cheers :flex:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wanted to ask about that little 'petrol filter' (or suppose to be) pillow in the pump... Also really puzzles me how/why they've done it like that. So it's not meant to be replaceable element, at least I have not seen that piece sold separately anywhere - am I wrong?

And to clean it you always have to disassemble the pump .. Ughgh, really don't like it. why or why..

Was that done because petrol is so clean everywhere in the world now days, and you can have no junk floating in your tank? Like, pieces of tank foam, or rust...

:no

·
Respected 1
74 Posts
Quick question. Does anyone know if the tan and black wires coming from the cage assembly are responsible for sending the signal when your fuel is low? I've installed a new speedo, and I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a external led to show when I have low fuel

·
GATO 007
10 Posts
If any one can help.......what are the voltages I should see when checking the plugs for the fuel pump and sensors?(green and white plugs)
Seems that my pump seized and I don't know if it might have affected a relay or fuse for the pump and sensors.
Btw, it's a 05 R1

·
37,490 Posts
get a manual and follow the directions to test the fuel pump.

·
GATO 007
10 Posts
Thanks!
Now, where exactly is the fuel pump fuse/relay?
Diagram shows connections but not physical location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great post!
I just changed gas tanks, this is a great help.

Question: When I uncliped that piece to get it all out, I dropped it in the gas tank with gas in it. :/ I then put everything back into the new tank, connected all the lines correctly, and installed the gas cap...but now the bike wont turn. Theres about 2 gallons in it, I've tried the throttle to give it gas, its a brand new battery, and I've even let it sit for a couple of min. before trying it again. but no good.

any ideas?

·
GATO 007
10 Posts
Same thing is happening with my bike
I thought maybe I loosen the relay or fuse when I pulled the dead battery out and put the new one in.
Mine turns over but won't turn on.
Any one has any ideas or something we can check?

·
Burnin' gas & haulin' a$$ !
216 Posts
Thanks for the tip as far as the plastic tabs that have to be trimmed off - got mine out & back in with no problems after reading this. :cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
24 Participants
bsgesch
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing