Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great post!
I just changed gas tanks, this is a great help.

Question: When I uncliped that piece to get it all out, I dropped it in the gas tank with gas in it. :/ I then put everything back into the new tank, connected all the lines correctly, and installed the gas cap...but now the bike wont turn. Theres about 2 gallons in it, I've tried the throttle to give it gas, its a brand new battery, and I've even let it sit for a couple of min. before trying it again. but no good.

any ideas?
I had to replace my fuel pump and then everything was good to go. Not sure what happened to the fuel pump, but found a used one online and installed it no problems after that.

·
LQDSLVR
305 Posts
Oh bummer the o ring failed between pump to tank I just dumped fuel all over the connections under the tank boooo

Anybody know if the green adapter clips in on the left side under the tank to the fuel pump? Leaving the white adapter on the right side I assume ��

·
24 Liters
14,341 Posts
Good tips and photo's Sir bsgeschalechalookalechalech-Mitch of Rotterdameshire. You savvithed my asseth from kabooming. :thumbup

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey,
Got a fuel pump off ebay which is suppose to be for >=09 -14, and it looks very much same like 04-06 to me. Are they same?

I also didn't get the original screws with it, to fix it to the tank. Do you think I can just find some matching ones, don't have to buy original from Yamaha ? ..

Attachments

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey, Got a fuel pump off ebay which is suppose to be for >=09 -14, and it looks very much same like 04-06 to me. Are they same?

I also didn't get the original screws with it, to fix it to the tank. Do you think I can just find some matching ones, don't have to buy original from Yamaha ? ..
Not the same. The part number on that fuel pump, 5PW-13907-01-00, was used on the '04-06 and has been superseded by 5PW-13907-02-00. The '07-08 used 4C8-13907-01-00, starting in '09 they went with 14B-13907-20-00. As for the screws, you should be able to use any metric screw but make sure you get the appropriate length, I think there are different lengths for that application. GL

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,739 Posts
& dont forget that if you disassemble the pump & seperate them To clean the Mesh filter as when this is clogged itll give symtom of jerking when you crack the throttle open .
That you dont leave the small [O ring] in the upper part of the pump .as petrol will just flow when you hold the Tank upright when rebuilt .
So make sure you set the small O Ring in the Bottom /or mounting section of the Pump ,Then petrol will only flow when presurised .
Can somebody translate this for me please?

I have a new o-ring for when I transfer my fuel pump to the new tank.

·
Sticky side down
44 Posts
I put the oring on the boss on the mounting flange side. We're does the plastic cylinder piece go? Does it press on after the oring to sandwich the oring? I tried a bunch of ways and still have gas running out the elbow when upright

Thanks
James
2003 r1

·
We have 2 R6s-double your fun!
2 Posts
Ooops! My Day Just Got Worse!

Was replacing the airbox filter with a K&N yesterday. Had the tank propped up. I hit the prop and the whole thing fell over (too much gas in the tank made it unstable). Anyway, I broke the fuel pump assembly's long white nipple in two it snapped right off, AND ripped both connectors off there.

First, thanks for the tip on removing those tabs and how to remove the "ship in a bottle" before you take it out of the tank. One comment on that part....might these tabs be used for the fuel pump housing stability whilst in the tank? Please advise or I'm hesitant to cut those suckers. Have any of the guys who have 'clipped' those tabs heard any rattling or shifting inside the tank at speed or going over braking bumps, etc.?

My dilemma now is how to reconnect the white/green plugs? I have bare wires now exposed now. Which wire goes where? There are 2 fat wires and 2 thin (green-fat wires & white-thin wires) but which wire goes where? Where do you find those plugs and does it come with crimp connectors? How do those connectors, once crimped, go on? Did not mean to hijack this thread but a word of advice - don't do what I did and hit your prop or your tank will crashing down. My job went from an easy 30 minutes of work to ???

Thanks in advance,
Mark
2-2008 Yamaha R6 - just K&N intake, M4 exhaust, M4 catalytic converter bypass, double bubble, stealth signals, lowering links for the wife's bike, Vortex sliders, Vortex sprockets, Renthal 520 chain
2008 Chevy Corvette - slightly modified too
2001 Mercedes 320 SLK - for swank days
1997 Dodge RAM truck - for pulling bikes to the track - of course it is modified!

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
No you can easily cut those tabs but remove them from the tank.

No idea on the connector though

·
We have 2 R6s-double your fun!
2 Posts
You know it! Wife's bike.

She has an 08 with 530 miles while mine has over 7k! Have done this procedure 99 times - I guess this was the one in a hundred! Odds caught up to me. Yes, like a bonehead I had the long tank screw undone, to drain gas, just prior to tank ripping up connectors. Had to drain gas since it hasn't been ridden in a while. :-(

The thin wires (black/green) to go white connector. The other two wires to the green connector. But which way? As you are looking at the connector from the bottom, which wire goes where? And how to get the wire crimped clap out of the plastic housing? Or is it toast and go get another? Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put the oring on the boss on the mounting flange side. We're does the plastic cylinder piece go? Does it press on after the oring to sandwich the oring? I tried a bunch of ways and still have gas running out the elbow when upright

Thanks
James
2003 r1
Hey, did you find where the o'ring goes?

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

If your talking about the fully-assembled pump, the o-ring goes as shown in the picture, pump gets inserted into the tank, flange bolts over the pump, compressing the pump onto the 0-ring against the tank.

If you're talking about the pump internally, post pics, I haven't disassembled that far.

·
Registered
3 Posts

If your talking about the fully-assembled pump, the o-ring goes as shown in the picture, pump gets inserted into the tank, flange bolts over the pump, compressing the pump onto the 0-ring against the tank.

If you're talking about the pump internally, post pics, I haven't disassembled that far.

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I'm talking about the internal o-ring with the plastic "cap" on it. Not sure if I assembled the pump correctly.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
24 Participants
bsgesch
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing