Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so first of all hi I am new to the forum but I have viewed it as a guest many times. I just got this bike a month ago for around 5k. It's a clean title and only 5k miles. However the problem lies with the scratches on the tail and side fairing. So I decided to vinyl wrap the bike. WARNING: This is extremely difficult and will take around 8 hours. So learn from my mistakes.

Why vinyl wrap?
Vinyl wrap is incredibly cheaper than a good paint job. And by good paint job I do not mean $300. I mean over $1,000. Now if you want to paint go ahead as I have painted 5 of my gsxrs white (my favorite color) with a spray can and it has come out spotless because of the prep.

Can Vinyl Wrap Be Taken off Without Damage to the Paint?
Yes

Can You Wash Vinyl?
Yes but not with a pressure washer aimed an inch away

Can You Wax Vinyl?
Yes it's just like paint. I used ICE WAX

Does Vinyl Protect Your Paint?
Yup, and if it's damaged by a crash or watnot just remove and put on one of your extra pieces.

So how much is vinyl?
Well if you mess up several times you will still be left with a couple feet if you order 15x5ft which will cost you around $171 shipped on ebay. This is for scotch print 1080 3m. I did hear great things about HEXISUSA but i have not yet tried them or seen it in person.

How to prep?
To prep make sure it is clean and deep scratch free as vinyl will show anything through it except the color. So, sand it down if you need to like I did in the picture below (located in the attachments)! And then after you should always wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove the wax and god knows what other nasty stuff is on there.

How Do You Install Vinyl?
You stretch and heat. It's not window tint where you fit it on and take out the bubbles you stretch it on. How to explain? While I have a video that I have on my camera on be doing the tank (hardest part of the bike) will upload it in the near future.

Now to pics!! :nforc:

Attachments

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple more pictures. And tips:
-Remember if you stretch to much it will rip.
-And also be careful as your nails might rip it =\
-If it's too bunched up you will have to make a seam
-And make sure

Attachments

·
Sofa King Tired!!!
587 Posts
Ok, so first of all hi I am new to the forum but I have viewed it as a guest many times. I just got this bike a month ago for around 5k. It's a clean title and only 5k miles. However the problem lies with the scratches on the tail and side fairing. So I decided to vinyl wrap the bike. WARNING: This is extremely difficult and will take around 8 hours. So learn from my mistakes.

Why vinyl wrap?
Vinyl wrap is incredibly cheaper than a good paint job. And by good paint job I do not mean $300. I mean over $1,000. Now if you want to paint go ahead as I have painted 5 of my gsxrs white (my favorite color) with a spray can and it has come out spotless because of the prep.

Can Vinyl Wrap Be Taken off Without Damage to the Paint?
Yes

Can You Wash Vinyl?
Yes but not with a pressure washer aimed an inch away

Can You Wax Vinyl?
Yes it's just like paint. I used ICE WAX

Does Vinyl Protect Your Paint?
Yup, and if it's damaged by a crash or watnot just remove and put on one of your extra pieces.

So how much is vinyl?
Well if you mess up several times you will still be left with a couple feet if you order 15x5ft which will cost you around $171 shipped on ebay. This is for scotch print 1080 3m. I did hear great things about HEXISUSA but i have not yet tried them or seen it in person.

How to prep?
To prep make sure it is clean and deep scratch free as vinyl will show anything through it except the color. So, sand it down if you need to like I did in the picture below (located in the attachments)! And then after you should always wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove the wax and god knows what other nasty stuff is on there.

How Do You Install Vinyl?
You stretch and heat. It's not window tint where you fit it on and take out the bubbles you stretch it on. How to explain? While I have a video that I have on my camera on be doing the tank (hardest part of the bike) will upload it in the near future.

Now to pics!! :nforc:

That's freakin cool.. I could never do it, very impatient but great job..

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
That came out really nice. I like the idea that you can change the look of your bike if you get tired of it and then go back to stock at a later date if you want. Great for people like me that keep the same bike for 10 years or so.

Edit to OP: Do you think you can go over stock decals and not notice them under the wrap.

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have done a lot of RC plane building by any chance? :lol

Looks great :thumbup

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Here's a couple more pictures. And tips:
-Remember if you stretch to much it will rip.
-And also be careful as your nails might rip it =\
-If it's too bunched up you will have to make a seam
-And make sure
And make sure what dammit?....I was just about to go to bed, and now I can't !

Great work man, you've obviously had a lot of practice, and a lot of patience. Well done. :bow

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
I attempted to wrap my tank with vinyl...it just would not mold to the tank at all. i'd get 1 side down and go to smooth out another section and i'd get wrinkles everywhere..it may have been the vinyl I was using but still. good job man!

·
Born Again Patriot
4,232 Posts
Dude! Excellent DIY :thumbup

Great way to introduce yourself to the forum. Welcome :hellobye

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
:thumbup

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,162 Posts
That looks good, I was thinking of getting one printed out w all Crazy Graphics on it, for a beater. Your work def came out way cleaner than something I feel I'm capable of at the moment.

And make sure what dammit?....I was just about to go to bed, and now I can't !

Great work man, you've obviously had a lot of practice, and a lot of patience. Well done. :bow
:lol I was thinking the same thing..

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow lots of replys :)

Ok so to strawberry 07. Thanks man, you do need a lot of patients but it's way cheaper than a paint job and your saving a ton of money in the process I just sat down with the pieces and watched a movie each night while wrapping.

To cyclepsycho7: Thanks. There are some imperfections here and there but they are minor and I live right by the hexis factory in Corona, ca and can now get the vinyl cheaper $80 for gloss so way worth it but I am not going back to grey as my shit is scratched. But for those of you who want a quick change it dosen't mess up your paint and can be peeled all off in about 20-30 mins. And for the stock decals you can see them clearly underneath =\ I took of the yamaha logo on the lowers (on the left side). It took 40 mins so i left the other side I left them on and it shows. To fix you can always ad another logo over it in the same size.

To ebags: No man I haven't why?

To carbonar1: lol It was something important I just really don't remember right now haha sorry. I'd add to make sure the seams are in a unnoticeable place. And to also make sure you use ICE Wax because certain waxes are bad for the vinyl and I know ICE is safe. (according to skinzwraps.com)

to pitbullkiz: It's stick on one side. It's just like a sticker. I removed all the fairings but not the tank. I always spill a little gas every time. Just lift it up.

To r1nstang: No it did the same thing you have to cut it. Make it soo that the bunch is at the top of the tank and then cut it, lay it down, lay the other side over it, and cut right down the center but don't cut to deep. I am planning on possible wrapping again as there are seems around the bike but still not to shabby huh? 3m is apparently not for curves but only flat surfaces ahah. a little late to know now.

creeping death: Thanks! I thought i'd help out since the forum helped me out so much

I'll get some shots today for you net-jester

Fikays: I got the idea from a kawi forum the guy wrapped his bike in matte black and pearl white. he did 2 colors but I like all white bikes. I've had 4 gsxrs all white and i've always wanted a white r1.

Jdollaz: I don't know how nice a graphics would go on because of all the stretching. I'd order a sample piece as i've only done gloss and flat colors.

Below are a few pictures of some seams which are made to stop bunching. And also below is a picture of the sticker showing through the vinyl. If I would do it again it would look much better.

Attachments

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes that is correct. If the surface was completely flat you wouldn't even need a heat gun. Here check this video out of me wrapping my tank.

·
gotgas? R a c i n g
180 Posts
Did you use any type of water/soap combination, to be able to smooth out the air bubbles a little easier? Or maybe just to prevent the vinyl from getting stuck all over the hand controls and loosing adhesive strength?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
32 Participants
R1Mike215
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing