Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Haha don't worry about the helmet dude. I can't even do a helmet perfectly and I doubt any pro couldn't unless they invented some REALLY advanced vinyl. It will always have wrinkles in it. That is why you need to start on one side and slowly work your way to the other. When you finally reach the other side there will be a big loose piece, peak, or whatever you want to call it. Cut it and fold it over making a seam. That's the best you can do on those pieces. Even in the video I showed there ended up being one seam on the top part of the tank because it was too rounded. I should make a "how to make a seam in vinyl video" for those hard pieces.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Haha don't worry about the helmet dude. I can't even do a helmet perfectly and I doubt any pro couldn't unless they invented some REALLY advanced vinyl. It will always have wrinkles in it. That is why you need to start on one side and slowly work your way to the other. When you finally reach the other side there will be a big loose piece, peak, or whatever you want to call it. Cut it and fold it over making a seam. That's the best you can do on those pieces. Even in the video I showed there ended up being one seam on the top part of the tank because it was too rounded. I should make a "how to make a seam in vinyl video" for those hard pieces.
Please do, I would appreciate any vid you put up because I'm really considering this now.

Great post btw :thumbup

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm planning on wrapping a buddy's 08 600rr in HX20000 Fire Red and Carbon Fiber in HX30000 for $615 (cuz carbon is more). It would have originally only cost 500 and lasted 15 years (so better than paint in my opinion). I'll make another video then for sure assuming he goes through with it.

And about the seams this is off a professional installers site.

quote "You will always be able to find something you think is a flaw. View your vinyl from 6 inches away and you will see pixels. (he's talking about graphics on the vinyl) Remember, prospects don’t view your wrap from 6 inches away and car wraps are supposed to have seams. If the seams are strategically placed in lesser viewed areas then you’re OK. Know what to expect from finished vehicle graphics and you’ll be much happier with the outcome." end quote

·
odwit
528 Posts
For the Yama logo on the tank, did you cut away the vinyl you stretched over it? Or did you just put a new decal right over the old one

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Your suppose to take off the decal and put another one or the same one on over the vinyl. I however just cut around. I am planning on wrapping my whole car in gloss white hexis series in which I will use the extras to wrap my bike again so it will last longer than the 3m on there. At which time I will correctly do it. With the lower fairings I just wrapped over the Yamaha sticker. It's always best to take everything off and put everything on over. The sticker you could probably leave on and throw another on top.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You said you can get it for $90 now (white vinyl), is that only available to you since you live close to them? I'm really considering doing my 04. I like the red but white looks so damn clean. Plus I have some carbon fibre pieces that look just as good with white :sneaky

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well before taxes if you split it's $90. They only sell by 11 yards and 33 yards. In both 54" and 60". You only need half of that for a bike. I made you a "chart" below

HX20000
Black, White 27" 30" 54"* 60"*
33 yards $203.00 $225.55 $406.00 $451.11
11 yards $81.20 $90.22 $162.40 $180.44

Now just factor in your taxes and shipping. It's going to cost you around $200 with taxes shipped. Half if you split is because your going to have ALOT! of material. Might try to wrap your car to haha.

HX20000
Any Other Colors 27" 30" 54"* 60"*
33 yards $250.00 $277.78 $500.00 $555.56
11 yards $100.00 $111.11 $200.00 $222.22

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So far it's only been a few hundred miles. I don't see a problem yet. And I really don't really see it scratching or chipping. I'll definatley keep you posted though. The clear bra is used to prevent chipping on cars and that is just see through vinyl. I can't image my vinyl getting ripped through by a rock unless it was a huge one. You can always go to your local hexis dealer (or 3m if u must) and get a sample for free.

·
i think im in love with my 07
943 Posts
this is crazy! finally had time to look through this tread! ever considered doing it for a fellow member!?

btw what grit did you use to sand down deep scratches? I have some rash pieces thinking about practicing on those first. Thanks!

·
DeDareDevil
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I wet sanded with waterproof 180 grit then finished it off with 600 just to make it a little smoother. If you want to get your bike wrapped that won't be a problem but I definitely won't be able to do it for free as it took over 10 hours and costs $200+ in materials!
I can probably pick up material and wrap your bike for $500 in gloss
or $600 in matte.
The vinyl will protect what paint you have now (I assumed you crashed as your asking about sanding) and will last a minimum of 4 years. The warranty is weird for vinyl. It's climate sensitive and well as horizontal and vertical sensitive. So depending on where it's put on and was as the climate the warranty is 4 years up to 10. It will last longer but it's just how well you take care of it. When you are done you can just peel off and clean the adhesive off to leave a shiny coat underneath. I just put up an ad on craigslist last week and got a ton of replies so I set up some appointments and took a class at HEXISUSA to get "certified" applying vinyl ($1000 class over 20hrs of vinyl wrapping graphics onto a vehicle in this case was a scion) so I know what I am doing now as compared to before. Preheating the surface, bought a laser temp sensor, lots of special tools, etc. I also wrapped my R1 with 3M (bad choice) and am going to be re wrapping soon in which time i'll make an even better tutorial as well.

·
How fast does this thing go?
398 Posts
Where can I get some Hexis HX20000 in gloss white and black? PM me if you need to

·
Put it in your muffa
1 Posts
I can't seem to find a good price for glossy white on the Hexis site. Are you getting 15x5ft for $80 because you're picking it up directly?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
32 Participants
R1Mike215
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing