Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ride it like U stole it...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since winter is around the corner; I was wondering how to winterize the one...

Some people I know say that it's a must to drain the oil, put the bike on stands, disconnect battery, etc, etc, etc....

What do I really need to do ??

Any sugestions :dunno

·
Banned
324 Posts
I cheat....I store it in heated storage and play around with mods and cleaning all winter. And you can be damn sure if there are dry roads a warm day it gets it legs stretched out once and awhile.

As for your situation.....Put in fuel stabalizer, fill the tank and run it a couple of minutes to get it in the system. Change the oil and filter. Pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. Put the bike up on front and rear stands. Clean and lube the chain. Good to go till spring.

·
STFU and ride!!
4,979 Posts
battery tender would be the only thing i would do, as i would want to start it at least once a week. fresh oil if needed. i would probably be looking at all my torque specs, wear and things of that nature. perfect time for mods.
but what do i know i live in CA

Ferrum

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
i riide in the winter too, well , we got no snow :p , its just raining so its not that bad if u got the right gear...

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
As long as it's above 32 degrees with no snow on the roads, I'm riding her for something. That usually means it's never put away longer than a week. I have a connection on the side of the bike for a battery tender though, so she does get "pluged in" if she's gonna sit for a week or so. Past that, I put stabiil in my tank one year, and then I ended up riding her a few days later....and had to put more gas in...so don't do that anymore. Just do routine maintence, though I do tear her apart and fully clean her looking for other shit as well...lube what needs to be lubed and tighten everything. This winter she'll get plugs replaced, valves checked, ss lines put on....that kind of thing...while she's apart. Best time to do it.

·
Family, Honor, Strength
6,435 Posts
boge5 said:
I cheat....I store it in heated storage and play around with mods and cleaning all winter. And you can be damn sure if there are dry roads a warm day it gets it legs stretched out once and awhile.

As for your situation.....Put in fuel stabalizer, fill the tank and run it a couple of minutes to get it in the system. Change the oil and filter. Pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. Put the bike up on front and rear stands. Clean and lube the chain. Good to go till spring.
:iamwithst Winter is a perfect time for doing mods. I love riding in the cold....only if it's not rainning though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What I do is:

Chain Oil / Filter
Fill tank and put stabil in it
Put the bike up on front and rear stands
Clean chain and sprockets, relube chain with a little extra to keep rust off
Plug the battery tender in...you don't need to remove the battery from the bike...just get a adapter plug and leave in on your bike

Then over the winter...
I'll clean all the fairing and wax them
I'll clean and inspect the rest of the bike
Mod the bike

When done modding...I put a cover over it even though its in the garage to keep dust and stuff off it...first nice day though...it gets it's legs stretched.

·
My Twins took all my money
2,456 Posts
Fuel stabalizer, run the bike for a couple of minutes (it'll tell you on the bottle), this'll keep the fuel system from getting messed up. Batter tender for your battery, and leave the oil in the bike.

·
Still love Yami's the most
1,141 Posts
what the other 15 people said that are:moto: :moto: , but yep I live in SoCal so I just do that when I am in Iraq.:cryin

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
boge5 said:

:iamwithst except mine stays in the master bedroom :lol

Attachments

·
R14FUN
628 Posts
Starting up the engine for short periods of time isn't as good a thing as you might think. The oil needs to get up to operating temp to boil off any moisture that condensed as a result of the last cool-down cycle. Water gets converted into acids, which can etch various expensive bits in the engine. Just another reason to take 'er for a ride !

·
Starting construction!
1,662 Posts
winterizing??

I rode the bike in the snow in Feb this year. Only way I could keep it on the road was doing about 5mph in the tyre tracks of the cars that just went before me.

The wife thought it was a hoot - me, I was shitting bricks.

This is what you get when you ride to work and its just raining, and then it bloody well decides to start snowing late in the afternoon...

If I can help it - never again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.