·
My R1 Eates You
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
My R1 Eates You
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.... what gets me is they get a 9.7 @ 147 for an 06 R1, in which if you notice is faster than the Hayabusa, and ZX-14. Actually they have all the 1000's faster than the Busa and ZX-14.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
you want to see what these bikes actually run in the 1/4? go to your local drag strip.

Not a very large percentage of people that can break into a nine on a stock liter bike.

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,623 Posts
Take everything with a grain of salt, so to speak...

Magazine tests are rarely "real world" indicators of a bike's performance. There are some rags that do some articles on real world performance but for the most part...

1. Most use a "correction factor" that calculates what the bike "could" have done if conditions were "perfect" for a run. The actual run is corrected for temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, etc... You almost never see these conditions in real life.

2. Bikes are usually accompanied to the tests by an army of factory mechanics that make sure everything is tuned to perfection on the bike. Everything is triple checked before the bike makes a pass and there are little tricks they use like pulling the brake pads away from the rotor to reduce friction, increasing front tire pressure, reducing rear tire pressure, etc that you wouldn't do on the street.

3. Often, the bike that is sent to the mag for testing is carefully selected from the assembly line at the factory. There can be as much as a 5-6% difference in horsepower/torque from identical bikes coming directly off the line due to tolerance stacking of the internals, minor manufacturing differences, etc... That means if the average bike puts out 155 rwhp then a "loose" one could have only 151 and a "tight" one could have as much as 159. The factory will test a whole bunch off the line and send the best. While not actually "ringers" your bike may not be getting that much power.

4. Riders in the tests are chosen for their experience and ability. They've been at it for a long time and usually know how to bring the best out of a bike. They usually don't weigh as much as the average Joe either. Dropping 5 pounds is like gaining 1hp.

5. The test riders don't have to worry about red-lighting, waiting for the other guy to stage, distractions, etc. Timer starts when they are good and ready and the wheel breaks the beam.

All in all the test reports may be a decent indicator of how bike stack up against one another but are pretty lousy for showing what a bike will do in the real world.

·
My R1 Eates You
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take everything with a grain of salt, so to speak...

Magazine tests are rarely "real world" indicators of a bike's performance. There are some rags that do some articles on real world performance but for the most part...

1. Most use a "correction factor" that calculates what the bike "could" have done if conditions were "perfect" for a run. The actual run is corrected for temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, etc... You almost never see these conditions in real life.

2. Bikes are usually accompanied to the tests by an army of factory mechanics that make sure everything is tuned to perfection on the bike. Everything is triple checked before the bike makes a pass and there are little tricks they use like pulling the brake pads away from the rotor to reduce friction, increasing front tire pressure, reducing rear tire pressure, etc that you wouldn't do on the street.

3. Often, the bike that is sent to the mag for testing is carefully selected from the assembly line at the factory. There can be as much as a 5-6% difference in horsepower/torque from identical bikes coming directly off the line due to tolerance stacking of the internals, minor manufacturing differences, etc... That means if the average bike puts out 155 rwhp then a "loose" one could have only 151 and a "tight" one could have as much as 159. The factory will test a whole bunch off the line and send the best. While not actually "ringers" your bike may not be getting that much power.

4. Riders in the tests are chosen for their experience and ability. They've been at it for a long time and usually know how to bring the best out of a bike. They usually don't weigh as much as the average Joe either. Dropping 5 pounds is like gaining 1hp.

5. The test riders don't have to worry about red-lighting, waiting for the other guy to stage, distractions, etc. Timer starts when they are good and ready and the wheel breaks the beam.

All in all the test reports may be a decent indicator of how bike stack up against one another but are pretty lousy for showing what a bike will do in the real world.
Very well said bro.

That's basically the way it is with cars to, except it's like for every 100lbs that you remove from a car equals to about 10 hp, and every pound that you remove that's a rotational weight, and or unsprung weight such as wheels, lighter flywheel etc. equals to about 8lbs being removed elsewhere on the car.

So for an example, if I were to buy some lighter weight wheels for my car, and at each corner I saved about 2lbs of weight per wheel you would then multiply 8x8 = 64lbs of weight savings.

Just some food for thought. :)

·
My R1 Eates You
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know which one is fastest. wee
Hee! Hee! I'm sure you do. :)

So... lets say from a 40 roll up to about 140 to 150 mph, how many bike lengths will your ZX-14 put on your R1 stock for stock?

·
HiHo Silver
402 Posts
Hee! Hee! I'm sure you do. :)

So... lets say from a 40 roll up to about 140 to 150 mph, how many bike lengths will your ZX-14 put on your R1 stock for stock?
I'll be honest, my zx14 was a dog with the stock exhaust, it would probably be a side by side race stock on stock, now both are piped, the 14 will pull the R-1, but it doesnt run off and leave it, just a good steady pull. wee

·
Say cheese!
249 Posts
10.7 for an 04 R1??? Slower than an R6. That's good to know.
I am guessing it is a typo and it should be 9.7.
The earlier R1's beat the '04 in the quarter mile also. Look at the RPM's where max. power was reached. Much higher for the '04, so it takes longer in the rev range to reach max. power.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
the new R1 seems to carry the grunt of their power up top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.