Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
On the road again...
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

There is a huge motorcycle demonstration held in Montreal and Quebec Saturday may 9th. It's the fourth one this season... last one had over 1200 bikes.

We are angry against the costs for our bike registrations going from 320$ in 2007 to 1030$ this year and 1410$ next year. In Quebec, cost of registration includes medical insurance (additional private insurance is required for the vehicules)

All the information is available on www.operationsnail.info
You can use google to translate into english
(Look for the post on escargot phase IV, may 9th)

I'm posting this here in case some people are from Quebec and did not yet know about it, but we are also very welcoming if people from neighbouring states (ON, NB, NY, VT, ME) want to join us for support. If so, drop me a line so I can know about it, I'll try to get some media talk to you to do a story on biker's solidarity.

Thanks !

·
11,806 Posts
Is this a one time registration or is it every year?

·
On the road again...
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every year. It's a "no fault" system.

However :secret: it includes state's medical insurance if you are in an accident anywhere in the world, as a driver, passenger, on a bicycle or as a pedestrian, whatever, as long as it is on a public road. Hence we pay a lot less for driving insurance and we also pay less for travel insurance.

Must sound like a communist state to most americans :lol but when you look at it is costs us a less. You pay the same whether you are young or old, experienced or not, because the idea is you are going to pay your whole life anyway. If you hit someone in Quebec and kill/injure them, you are covered and there's no lawsuits and etc. :rock

The only additional required private insurance is civil responsibility, but only for materials; i.e.: the damage to the car or to a lamp post, etc. Companies do also insure for human civil responsibility (if you kill/injure someone) for driving in the US and rest of Canada. The private insurance is also under a "no-fault" system, the insurance companies pay for their own clients, whether they are responsible or not. :confused: They balance within their own company their losses to the ones who had a responsible accident (so if you were not responsible your rate won't go up). Hence there is absolutely no lawsuits. :thumbup

Cars pay 225$/year (includes registration fees and insurance), and we aim to get back to this amount. :flex: There is also a part of the insurance which is put on the driving permit (78$/year).

If someone knows about any other place in the world which has a "no-fault" system, I would be glad to know about it :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts