Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they're using these "rim brakes" now in WSBK? :confused: Are they really that good?

Kawi ZX-1O and Honda 1OOORR...

These pictures are from Valencia WSBK Test 2004... :fact

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
EliminatorR1 said:
Arent those stuff supposed to be heavier?
Actually, just the opposite, because you can get away with one caliper, and build the wheel a lot lighter.

Buell must be smiling.

·
My R1 Ate your R1
998 Posts
Not only that, think about the surface area thats available to cool while its not touching a pad. Runs cooler and grips better.

Hide

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's so good, why don't use them in MotoGP? :dunno :confused:

I'm sure they can make a carbon version easily...

·
Too old for this crap...
1,868 Posts
HideOut said:
Not only that, think about the surface area thats available to cool while its not touching a pad. Runs cooler and grips better.
Hmm... that make sense. But dont they have some rules (motoGP and SBK) regulating disc size?

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EliminatorR1 said:
...But dont they have some rules (motoGP and SBK) regulating disc size?
Hmm... maybe that's why they don't use them in MotoGP...

But somehow I don't think they are better though... :dunno

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't think so either, because the design has been around for a while and still hasn't gone mainstream. It has some theoretical advantages, but in practice I'm not so sure...

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they're just trying them, cause I saw some picture of that 1OOORR with the regular discs on. I think they did some laps with those, and some laps with the regular.

·
I suck less than you
466 Posts
Something else to consider with regard to their effectiveness (which might indicate why the teams are experimenting.) :

With the disk being mounted on the outer section of the rim, braking power is tranferred more directly to the tyre. If you can imagine, a regular disk must transfer braking power from the disks outer, to its mount point at the hub then back out to the tyre via the rims spokes. Regardless of how rigid the wheel/disk combo is, some amount 'give would exist. Rim brakes can avoid this.

The offset of this is that this rigidity may actually take some feel away from the rider however this could be countered with other features such as radial masters.

Not even two cents worth....

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
Excellent 1st post Ontik.. I was thinking along the same.. imagine the feedback and feel you get from the disc being so close to the tire..

·
I suck less than you
466 Posts
Actually I had it wrong, I thought that it be less feel due to the lever being too 'snatchy'. BUT I think /your're/ right in hindsight. (and frankly, I don't much like the sight of you hind :O) ) I think the translation of tire feel would actually end up running right through your fingertips and that this would override the snatchy lever, although some adjustment on behalf of the rider may be necessary.

Prolly just easier to ride a Buell and see for one's self. :)

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,449 Posts
The above pic was from early testing and i'm not sure what was used in the two races yesterday but either way it certainly looks funky.

BD

·
I one
473 Posts
ExHondaGuy said:
Actually, just the opposite, because you can get away with one caliper, and build the wheel a lot lighter.

Buell must be smiling.
this is true , but these guys look like they are running a pair of discs = 2 calipers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts