Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first bike was back in 97 and was a brand new 96 Honda CBR600F3. I was only 20 and a bit of a wild man. Not what you'd call a safe or careful rider. But, I managed to ride over 18,000 miles in one year without ever laying her down, and I did do some upgrades and she could push 183 mph when I was done with her. Good Ole purple and yellow little beast she was...

Well, back when I had that bike the first R1 was introduced, the 1998 model... And boy did that bike make my panties wet... 馃槀

Now I am 46 years old and finally got back into riding, and guess what little gem I found... A 2003 R1 with only 10,000 miles, and for just $6,000. With today's ridiculous price gouging I'd say I did pretty good, especially since she was garage kept and well taken care of. She has a few upgrades, and they weren't done poorly or by some fly by night 1st time biker. She came with a Micron slip-on that was welded on. Also a K&N filter along with a few cosmetic upgrades. BTW, It's the black with red flames paint scheme. The previous owner removed the tuning forks from the tank and the Yamaha from the bottom of the flames, as well as changed out the windscreen for a tinted double bubble. I re-added the tuning forks and removed the guy's signature from the front fairing, it was opposite the R1. He also changed the gas cap, windscreen screws and bar ends to red. Which unfortunately after 19 years had become pink. I'm replacing the bubbles pink screws with black ones. I've already got red bar ends, and I've changed out the stock black grips with black and red ones imported from Italy. I'm still searching for a new gas cap along with the mount because that pink sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm also going to change out the clutch and brake levers for black or black and red ones because the original are looking a little weathered. I also want to change out the pegs in front and back, along with the entire shifter and brake assembly with black ones, or possibly black and red. But overall this bike is in great shape. Doesn't look like it's ever been layed down. So most of what I'm doing is unnecessary, but just cosmetic because I just feel like doing them.

Oh, but I did order a Hindle full exhaust with 14 inch Evolution black carbon can that has a carbon fiber tip. I am removing the EXUP. I also ordered a PC5 from Hindle, along with a servo eliminator. Those things are because I want to hear the little monster scream. I'm hoping to get her close to 150 wheel hp 馃. From what I've been reading it's most likely I'll get about 145, but I am looking into fabricating a ram air, and that has the potential to add up to 10 hp in itself.

Helmet Sports gear Sports uniform Motorcycle helmet Sports equipment

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer Gauge

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Registered
Welcome! There are lots of fans of the 2002-2003 R1 on this forum-it's a great bike! There are a lot of similarities in your post to my story: Besides the same name, I also started "sport bike" riding on Honda 600's..Had a 92 F2 and a 96 F3... Great all around sport bikes! Both the red/white/yellow and the white/yellow/purple option was in stock and I went with the red/whit/yellow for a change up. Some of my best rides were on those bikes! 183 mph might be a little optimistic as I don't think even the best tuned American Honda AMA bikes of M. Duhamel were hitting those speeds, even at Daytona, but maybe...They were fast enough though! Like you, I was totally gaga when the new R1 was announced...still remember the day I first saw this magazine (December 1997 issue shown here-nice toes..D'oh!) I think I even said My God! out loud as onlookers were shooshing me in the book store! That bike changed the sport bike world and my motorcycling world too, and I knew I would have one! Bought a 99 Blue/white and loved every minute of it. I still regret selling it, but I'm doing better now with continued therapy. I have a 2003 Blue/white still from new and don't know if I want to relapse by selling her! I've kept it stock but it's possible to make some pretty impressive hp gains with some mods, but you'll trade off the lower end grunt these bikes are known for. I have a 2016 as well, which is "technically" better in every way, but actually out on the road..not really
It sounds like you still have a little of that wildness in you--take it easy --these things can bite!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
I've had four '02/'03 R1s. They are my favorite as far as rider comfort. I've done 350 mile days on them without much issue.
Still sexy as hell and plenty fast.
I LOVE them! Well done.

Reactions: ChrisN03R1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! There are lots of fans of the 2002-2003 R1 on this forum-it's a great bike! There are a lot of similarities in your post to my story: Besides the same name, I also started "sport bike" riding on Honda 600's..Had a 92 F2 and a 96 F3... Great all around sport bikes! Both the red/white/yellow and the white/yellow/purple option was in stock and I went with the red/whit/yellow for a change up. Some of my best rides were on those bikes! 183 mph might be a little optimistic as I don't think even the best tuned American Honda AMA bikes of M. Duhamel were hitting those speeds, even at Daytona, but maybe...They were fast enough though! Like you, I was totally gaga when the new R1 was announced...still remember the day I first saw this magazine (December 1997 issue shown here-nice toes..D'oh!) I think I even said My God! out loud as onlookers were shooshing me in the book store! That bike changed the sport bike world and my motorcycling world too, and I knew I would have one! Bought a 99 Blue/white and loved every minute of it. I still regret selling it, but I'm doing better now with continued therapy. I have a 2003 Blue/white still from new and don't know if I want to relapse by selling her! I've kept it stock but it's possible to make some pretty impressive hp gains with some mods, but you'll trade off the lower end grunt these bikes are known for. I have a 2016 as well, which is "technically" better in every way, but actually out on the road..not really
It sounds like you still have a little of that wildness in you--take it easy --these things can bite!
My speedo on the 600f3 registered 183, but it's accuracy at high speeds might be in question. I had a full Yosh and 1 tooth down on the front. Before changing the gearing it was hitting 155 and couldn't even red line 6th gear. After the gearing change is when I was seeing 14,500 in 6th gear, and it was showing a little past 180 mph. Whatever speed it was, it sure was fast. At that speed everything was just a blur. Now I have no where near the gonad size, so even hitting 150 on the R1 was a one time thing that I am afraid to repeat.

Chris, you mentioned losing lower end grunt once I put a Hindle and a tune on my 03. I talked to the tuner at Hindle and he was saying the EXUP was more for noise back in 03, and that with a good tune I should gain lower end torque. Is this not your experience? I mean, I sure would like a snappier throttle response and a meaner sound, but for street riding I do like the mid-range power I have now with minor mods. Although the Hindle is already in the mail so there might not be any going back, especially since it's coming straight from Canada.

Any insight you can share would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Registered
'08 r1
My speedo on the 600f3 registered 183, but it's accuracy at high speeds might be in question. I had a full Yosh and 1 tooth down on the front. Before changing the gearing it was hitting 155 and couldn't even red line 6th gear. After the gearing change is when I was seeing 14,500 in 6th gear, and it was showing a little past 180 mph. Whatever speed it was, it sure was fast. At that speed everything was just a blur. Now I have no where near the gonad size, so even hitting 150 on the R1 was a one time thing that I am afraid to repeat.

Chris, you mentioned losing lower end grunt once I put a Hindle and a tune on my 03. I talked to the tuner at Hindle and he was saying the EXUP was more for noise back in 03, and that with a good tune I should gain lower end torque. Is this not your experience? I mean, I sure would like a snappier throttle response and a meaner sound, but for street riding I do like the mid-range power I have now with minor mods. Although the Hindle is already in the mail so there might not be any going back, especially since it's coming straight from Canada.

Any insight you can share would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Some reading;

Super condensed for easy consumption;

Exhaust design is a compromise. Long tubes are great at full song. Short tubes come off the line hard. The exup basically makes the length of the headers variable so you get the best of both (that's the theory anyway).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some reading;

Super condensed for easy consumption;

Exhaust design is a compromise. Long tubes are great at full song. Short tubes come off the line hard. The exup basically makes the length of the headers variable so you get the best of both (that's the theory anyway).
What about when I add in the Graves Velocity Stacks, or any form of taller stacks? Supposedly that helps out with torque that might be lost on the exhaust end.

Do you have any experience with them on an 02 or 03?

I've read several posts in this group, but all I seem to come up with is that they remove the mid-range dip in power that people tend to get when running a full exhaust.

I apologize for plucking your brain so much, but I just want to get the most I can out of this thing, and with it being 19 years old, it tends to be hard to find information, or even parts for that matter, so finding someone like you that has moved up the R1 ladder throughout the years is a bit of a needle in the haystack.

Registered
'08 r1
What about when I add in the Graves Velocity Stacks, or any form of taller stacks? Supposedly that helps out with torque that might be lost on the exhaust end.

Do you have any experience with them on an 02 or 03?

I've read several posts in this group, but all I seem to come up with is that they remove the mid-range dip in power that people tend to get when running a full exhaust.

I apologize for plucking your brain so much, but I just want to get the most I can out of this thing, and with it being 19 years old, it tends to be hard to find information, or even parts for that matter, so finding someone like you that has moved up the R1 ladder throughout the years is a bit of a needle in the haystack.
Everything is a compromise. You can move this or change that, but at the end of the day, there's still compromise.

Ultimately it's not something you're really going to notice and you'll get used to it.

You'll read threads of folks that prefer the torque curve of their full system and don't believe they're down on power even after looking at a dynograph.

Basically, just get out and ride. You can get mired in worrying over this or that. It doesn't really matter.

Registered
Hey there..thx for the reply and I'd just like to add/clarify a few things:
1) While I generally lean towards the last post about getting to mired in the details and worrying about numbers etc. (given that my bikes are stock) and to just ride and enjoy, it's not for me or anyone else to tell you otherwise and there are certainly plenty of people that love to modify their bikes and enjoy seeing what's possible...so go for it if you want!
2) there's an old quote ( It was about suspension from an expert) but that applies here too; (" The best you know is the best you've ridden") All literbikes are objectively fast as hell, but some more than others. It's been 26 years since you've ridden--600's--so jumping back in on a literbike is going to feel even faster! My dad once told me there's no such thing as bad sex..even lousy sex is still pretty good. Meaning even a poorly set up liter bike exhaust/fueling combo would still feel pretty fast to a new rider or one who hasn't ridden in 26 years. No, I'm not saying you R1 is "poorly" set up, but even if it was it would still feel fast and strong. Your bike I'm sure makes more power than my stock R1 but probably doesn't have as clean and smooth of a dyno graph as a stock bike down low-that's all I was saying.
3) I wasn't commenting specifically about Hindle, but rather any brand; 1202067 is correct, the exup was added for several reasons and has several benefits, and when removed, the bike will generally lose some of that lower end clean pick up that the stock bike has, especially without the fueling adjustments (just like jet kits with carbs). This is pretty much an established fact. Yes, a good tuner can offset some, or even most, of that, and perhaps a gear change would help offset some or all of that on the road too. All systems will react differently-some better than others. Keep in mind though that no one is saying that you will lose all low power and turn your bike into an R3! No, it's just the bike "may" have a little loss lower down in exchange for more higher up. a compromise as was stated.
4) all other things being equal, lowering the gearing, whether dropping the front teeth or raising the rear teeth (or both) will lower top speed. I f you're less interested in top speed and have no plans on testing it then perhaps try a gearing change and make it even nastier on the road!
5) I've often wondered what my 03 was capable of, but for me it was just too good from the factory to mess with and was fast and powerful enough, and I while I'm missing out on the glorious and unleashed sound of my 2016 crossplane R1, I wasn't and am not willing to spend the two grand, minimum, to get it. When the power starts to build at about 6k and up it sounds great to me as is without being obnoxious! Enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great answers from both if you. I do appreciate it. And great point about a dyno saying one thing but me likely not even noticing it on the road because it's just so fast both before and after the dyno. So basically it's not like a person can feel or notice a 10 second quarter compared to a 10.20 quarter mile. They're both insane 馃槀.

So I am taking this advice of do whatever makes me happy and don't get lost in dyno numbers. Therefore I am going ahead with the Hindle just so I can hear more of the motor. Really the sound of a loud quick rap is what I'm looking for, and removing the EXUP will do that for me. I'll probably just use the PC5's tune that is pre-setup for the Hindle on the Dynojet website, instead of dumping more cash into it by getting a dyno tune.

Truthfully, (another great point) going from a 109 hp 1996 600F3 to 152 stock hp does have me already crapping my pants. In other words, the bike is already insanely fast, so I don't think I'll notice or be able to use a few HP lost or gained here or there. I'd say the only time that stuff would really matter is if I was to race professionally.

Thanks again, and ride safe even when you're riding fast 馃槈.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went -1 +2 with a 520 kit (steel). Also installed a quick turn.

No ragrets
I've read of a few others doing the same. With my 600 f3 I went -1 on the front and that really woke that bike up. I'll keep your -1 +2 in mind depending on how the Hindle makes it feel.

I don't think I'll need to be going over 170 mph, so more low end would be great for the street. As it is now I rarely see my shift light come on because the speeds I need to be at to hit 11k-12k rpms are rarely possible in this heavy traffic Tampa, Florida area.

Registered
'08 r1
I've read of a few others doing the same. With my 600 f3 I went -1 on the front and that really woke that bike up. I'll keep your -1 +2 in mind depending on how the Hindle makes it feel.

I don't think I'll need to be going over 170 mph, so more low end would be great for the street. As it is now I rarely see my shift light come on because the speeds I need to be at to hit 11k-12k rpms are rarely possible in this heavy traffic Tampa, Florida area.
General consensus is it's too much. Hence my no ragrets comment.

If it helps you scratch the itch though, go for it.

Going to bring the front wheel up all the time though, so, fair warning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts