Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been one month since I placed the order for my Fiat limited bodywork from my dealership. I walked in there with 500$ for a deposit on a new bike and the bodywork. They had a leftover blue 07' that I made the deal to purchase, but only with the Fiat bodywork already installed. They would discount me some money off the bike and keep the factory blue plastics. Thats the deal we made, and I left my cash for them. I was told the plastics wouldnt arrive until the last week of October. That week came and went and no plastics. Its been 2 weeks late so far, and everytime I call I get the same BS line. My salesman puts me through to the guy in the parts department and he tells me he will call Yamaha direct and get back to me. Thats been about 4 times, and not once did he call me back. Now I feel like I am being one of those annoying customers when I call, and thats the last thing I want is to be treated that way and ducked.

So now I am beggining to lose hope of getting the bike that I really want. I feel like I'd be settling for a black 08. Thats not what I really want, although its a sweet bike I would WAY rather have the Fiat bike. I checked with every dealership in my area and 90% of them didnt even know what the Fiat plastics were so there goes that idea.....

So... The Ducati 848's will be arriving at the dealers in early December and HOT DAMN, thats a sweet ass bike. I am REALLY SERIOUSLY DEFINITELY considering picking one of these badboys up. Looks rediculous in the Pearl White color thats offered. I thought about the 1098 but its wayy too much for me to spend. The 848 is pushing it, around 15 grand out the door. Thats the MOST I can spend right now for sure. The 848 looks killer and I know these shouldnt be deciding factors in picking up a bike but the single sided swingarm and the factory Marchi wheels really got me sold on this bike.

I just dont want to make a mistake by picking up this Ducati. I dont want to regret my decision in a few months. So I was looking for some advice from you guys. Let me know you think I should do..!

Check out both!!

And the Duc

Heres how I would have it, with the gold wheels powdercoated and the gold 848 decal!

·
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got off the phone with Yamaha customer relations and they have no idea when the Fiat plastics will be sent out to the dealers........ Nice

·
r1srb
140 Posts
I'm brand loyal and my opinion will be bias. That said.
There are some great things about 848, like you said. Wheels and swing arm. Tail section and head lights are cool as well. But still it looks kind off plain and generic. Really not standing out. So I still would go for the one, fiat or not.

·
STFU and ride!!
4,979 Posts
that 848 looks really nice
but you best go and sit on it cause if its anything like the older ducs its uncomfortable as hell.
now on the other hand if its anything like the 1098 you have a more comfortable ride.
its all about what you like

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Keep in mind not all Yamaha dealers will get the plastics. Then on top of that you are going to have other people willing to pay more than MSRP for them just to get them. Your dealer may already have them sold to another dealer who has a customer with a wad of cash in hand and they both make money off the deal. Just hope it works out for you. Oh, that 848 is one nice looking bike too.

·
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1 pick up an R1 and customize it the way YOU want it
Honestly speaking, IMO the Fiat R1 is PERFECT and I would be 100% satisfied with it.

that 848 looks really nice
but you best go and sit on it cause if its anything like the older ducs its uncomfortable as hell.
now on the other hand if its anything like the 1098 you have a more comfortable ride.
its all about what you like
From what I've been reading the 1098 and 848 share the same plastics and frame. The only difference is the motor tranny and clutch. Oh and the fact that it sits about 1/2" higher, which wouldnt be a problem for me I am 6'1

Keep in mind not all Yamaha dealers will get the plastics. Then on top of that you are going to have other people willing to pay more than MSRP for them just to get them. Your dealer may already have them sold to another dealer who has a customer with a wad of cash in hand and they both make money off the deal. Just hope it works out for you. Oh, that 848 is one nice looking bike too.

I can only hope your wrong on this one... That would be extremely fu*ked up and if its true I will be soooooo pissed

·
Do I really need a title
1,034 Posts
The 848 is :boobies :boobies :boobies

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
That is a tough decision for sure. The 848 looks so good and with Ducati fixing some of the issues, like service intervals, and comfortable riding position, you would get a sweet bike. Things you should consider though, if the bike suits your size, the different power delivery of a V-twin, and the fact that you still have to wait until December to get it. Oh yeah and the extra cost. Your R1 plastics may come in by then too. Ultimately it's your choice, just make sure you find out as much as you can before you make that decision.

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
I say go for the R1, and if your willing to drop down to 848 power than get an 08 R6. The new R6 has a revised frame and motor. You'd have a better bike than the 848 and you could get an exhaust pc3 and some march's for less than the 848 price you gave.

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
I say go for the R1, and if your willing to drop down to 848 power than get an 08 R6. The new R6 has a revised frame and motor. You'd have a better bike than the 848 and you could get an exhaust pc3 and some march's for less than the 848 price you gave.
the 848 is supposed to have a better horsepower to weight ratio than the 999 which means itll kick an r6 in the balls:fact

personally Id rather have an r1 or r6 that i modded up rather than a stock 848/1098

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
IMO, you should wait until the end of Dec for the fiat bodywork. If it doesn't come by the, go for the 848.

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
Buy both, take a 2nd job until summer to pay for it since you can't ride in the winter anyway then make up for it all summer long. :sneaky

·
473 Posts
i live like 20 mintues away from you and its freezing here so im assuming you wont be riding anyway. although the 848 is sweet looking.. the fiat bodywork is beautiful. i would totally wait it out for a while. you might be pissed if you settle for the 848 and find out plastics will be in like 2 weeks later.

·
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i live like 20 mintues away from you and its freezing here so im assuming you wont be riding anyway. although the 848 is sweet looking.. the fiat bodywork is beautiful. i would totally wait it out for a while. you might be pissed if you settle for the 848 and find out plastics will be in like 2 weeks later.

I hear ya.... And I have a feeling thats what will happen. I am going to wait it out. I got no problem doing that, Id be willing to wait until Feb or March if I know I was guaranteed a Fiat bike. But theres the problem, no guarantee

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
That 848 looks sweet!!!

·
Ginger's Pillar of Strength
801 Posts
geez, If Yamaha doesn't even know... Of course you know the head never talks to the body so it really is anyone's guess.

That fiat livery issss niiiice. I am also brand loyal, but I would own a Duc if I could afford it. Not second job nice though:)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.