Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after much deliberation I decided to buy an FZ1. I was really going back and forth whether or not to get it. I loved my '00 R1, and was scared that I wouldn't like this bike. After just a short test ride I was convinced this was the bike for me right now and I bought it. '02 FZ1 with 2200 miles for $5900. I've only taken a few short rides on it, but I can already tell I'm gonna love this bike. It's a little underpowered compared to my R1, but an Ivan's jet kit and a devil highmount should make up for it. Plus I'll make a gear change by adding 2 teeth to the rear with a 520 conversion. The blinkers and mud flap will probably be the first cosmetic change.

MY MASTER PLAN:

Get my CCNA certification (this summer)
Get my associates degree in networking (this December)
Get a good job in Dallas and move back there
Save my money again and get an '02 or '03 R1 (next summer)
Keep the Fizzy for work commute
Ride the R1 to bike meets and maybe some track days

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
585 Posts
Nice bike, My girlfriend wanted me to get one of those because she likes to ride but the R1 has a tiny passenger seat.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
A buddy of mine has one of those. I think that they are a pretty awesome package when all is said and done.
He always complains about it, but i think that with some minor tweaking, that thing can be jsut as fun, if not more, than my R1 for street riding.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not a bad choice. My roomate has an 02 silver FZ1. We trade bikes quite a bit. It's nice for a change. Still has plenty of power, I just wish they were fuel injected.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
R1punk said:
Not a bad choice. My roomate has an 02 silver FZ1. We trade bikes quite a bit. It's nice for a change. Still has plenty of power, I just wish they were fuel injected.
The '05's will be :fact

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R1punk said:
I just wish they were fuel injected.
Me too, that would be super nice. But I have a buddy who owns his own bike shop here in town, so I can get the jet kit and pipe done for next to nothing. I'm taking it in next weekend and doing my own oil change, so long as I buy the oil and filter from him, lol.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
Maybe we'll get a chance to see you pull a monster wheelie on the 10:00 news again! LOL

Nice bike! It looks like it's very comfortable to ride. I sat on one at the dealership last year, and my feet barely touched the ground. :(

·
Registered
331 Posts
that my sir is one of the brest bikes ever made. you can ride for 500 miles on it, wheelie it, take the lady for a ride, take it a track day, whatever you want. I'll be trading the R1 in for the FZ when they fuel inj. it.

·
WTF!
510 Posts
Nice choice. Here is mine, but I am trading it in on 04 R1. I bought it October 02 with 1000 miles $7,000. I am trading-in March 04 14,750 miles for $4,850. I have already taken it to the dealer as the R1 should be here in a few days. I figure I will be graduating soon and be making enough money to have the R1 and and FJR1300 (or similar) in a year, if not (and could only afford one bike for the foreseable future) I would have kept the FZ1 as it is the beautiful hybrid of the two. I recommend a tall windscreen.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congrats on the good taste...looks just like mine. It will run with any sportbike on the street regardless of where with a good rider but it will drag the pipe and pegs. It starts showing it's weight at a track day though. I tried to make mine a heavy R1 (Both ends reworked by California Suspension, Ivan's, Full Akra Race >140 HP). and finally just bought the R1.

I bought the 03 R1 a few weeks ago and sold my Suspension, Carbs, and Akra to a FZ1OA member so now it only has a 99 R1 Carbon can on it with Ivan's S/O jet kit plus stock suspension but I have no plans on selling it. I've owned it over 2 years and it's been on a lot of rides with good friends, track days, and commuted to work a 100 times.

It's a great motorcycle and don't give the fuel injection a second thought...just put Ivan's kit into it. If your tight on money a stock can from a 98-01 R1 goes right on it and looks a lot better.

If you have any questions go to the FZ1OA and hit the link for Pat's Page or feel free to PM me. The FZ1 and ZX9 are two of the best street bikes around. They both respond very well to Ivan's and a pipe. For the people needing good equipment, but can't afford a FJR or R1 they are a good pieces.

Congrats again.

Richard

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I guess you got the color you were looking for :thumbup

·
My '04 R1 is here!!
184 Posts
Sweet ride ETP. Now you got 2 wheels (or 1) to ride, congrats. I'm still waiting on this dang '04 to come in.

You going to take that thing down to Austin for ROT Rally Weekend?

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
Great choice!! I also have one...but mine is the FASTER black color :D It does have a little too soft of a suspension...but it sure does corner with the best of them. It is commical to have a sportbike in front of you and watching them work harder to get around the corners...meanwhile your riding behind them in a great riding position feeling like you are just tooling around ready to pounce on them.:lol

Mine is an 02 as well. I did put in the Dale Walker jet kit, timing advance, and his awesome high mount exhaust. I can tell you that Dale Walkers pipe sounds awesome and the fit and finish on it are next to none. (no I am not affiliated with him:p just love his product)

http://www.holeshot.com/

Here is a pic of the exhaust in black and silver...I have the black one!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts