Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placed my helmet on the rider's seat while I took my gloves out from my backpack, before I knew it, the helmet rolled off the seat and bounced twice on the ground until I caught it. Fortunately, I had the helmet in a helmet bag, so there were no scratches suffered by the helmet.

It's a HJC.

I was wondering if dropping a helmet would render it useless?

My Shoei's been dropped twice, once by me and another by my friend. Now I'm having second thoughts about the safety of all my helmets...

Would someone comment on this?

:dundun:

·
Thriller
3,589 Posts
It's useless, chuck it is the garbage.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
...this would be why you don't put a helmet on a bike that is leaning to one side and has a resting place no bigger than the helmet itself.

As for the helmet...its' up to you. It's made of compression foam...so when it hits something (like the ground) the foam will compress a little (harder the hit, the more compressed until failure). The problem is...even if it's compressed a little, if it were to be struck again, that area now has less possibility of working to save your head...it will no longer be 100% effective.

Up to you...it's an HJC...you can buy them for 70 bucks if you look hard enough. I woudlnt' test it man...then again, I wouldnt' wear an HJC anymore either.

·
Thriller
3,589 Posts
I'm just messing with you. Here is a quote from another forum directly from a HJC rep

Dear Sir,

Thank you for purchasing with HJC.

In response to your inquiry, because I was not there to witness the accident, I cannot determine the relative safety of the helmet since the accident. However, my recommendation is for you to replace the helmet because there can be unforeseen hair-line fractures that can compromise the integrity of that helmet and/or its relative safeness. Unfortunately, our warranty does not cover any accidents. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you.

Sincerely,
HJCA Customer Service Rep

It's s tough call. I would wear it anyways. I have dropped helmets and crashed with them on afterwards and it has never been an issue. Don't quote me on that though.

·
I lead...you follow...
1,845 Posts
It is my understanding - I think I read it somewhere so it must be true - that if a helmet is dropped from more than like 10-12 inches the force is great enough to shatter the energy disapating shell (like it is supposed to) inside the helmet.

Will it render the helmet useless? No...as long as you have a helmet on your head it will help. I have dropped all my helmets I've ever had (except for this one - knocking on wood). When I wrecked, my dropped helmet still saved my noggin and trashed the outside of the helmet. You just won't get the same level of protection as an undropped/unshattered helmet.

Again, that was my understanding .. if I am wrong, I would love to be corrected for my own personal knowledge...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish the helmet authorities i.e DOT would do a test on the effectiveness of dropped helmets and do a safety comparison between all brands/manufacturers

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
I wish the helmet authorities i.e DOT would do a test on the effectiveness of dropped helmets and do a safety comparison between all brands/manufacturers

that's asking a bit much IMO.

personally I would get rid of the helmet, especially if you can get a new one for around $100. If it were an ARAI or something that might be a different story. Not sure but I think ARAI will inspect a helmet (one they made) and tell you if it should be replaced. Maybe HJC does something like that :dunno

·
I hate criminals
1,749 Posts
I would get a new one. As for the droping issue I think Shoei has a program where you can send it in and they will X-ray it for you to make sure it is still usable. I agree with everyone else and the cost of an HJC kinda makes them easy to replace rather then risk your head.

·
3,723 Posts
i was told by a helmet sales rep (seemed pretty knowledgeable) that if my head is not inside the helmet when it was dropped (not wearing it), it will not compress the inside foam which renders the helmet useless like the rest said....It makes sense to me, if there is nothing pressing against the foam (your head) from a 30 inch drop off the seat. I just dont see how it would compress the foam and make it useless. I personally dropped mine a few times and then crash tested it.. and i was fine..errr i think so at least :crash

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would get a new one if I were you. But just to keep this in mind. The drop test for helmets are 10-12 feet I believe...and for you engineers out here, you will agree with me that there is at least a 50% safety factor when designing/engineering any product. With that say, your helmet is probably fine.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
i was told by a helmet sales rep (seemed pretty knowledgeable) that if my head is not inside the helmet when it was dropped (not wearing it), it will not compress the inside foam which renders the helmet useless like the rest said....It makes sense to me, if there is nothing pressing against the foam (your head) from a 30 inch drop off the seat. I just dont see how it would compress the foam and make it useless. I personally dropped mine a few times and then crash tested it.. and i was fine..errr i think so at least :crash

think you should get that head checked :crash

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,153 Posts
Okay as I was writing my last post, I browsed through previous threads related to this thread, and it seemed like unless one has his head in the helmet when the helmet receives an impact, they were unanimous in agreeing that a dropped helmet is okay after all.

Link here: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83540
I dunno, Play it safe!
Its not like you got a $600.00 helmet you know!
I think its worth it for a "peace of Mind"..

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Look on the bright side..... at least your head was not in it when it hit the ground!

·
No Comment ...
1,700 Posts
i'm a little iffy on this subject, i think you'll be fine, but why risk it to find out it wasn't alright ... replace it

·
Yamahammer
288 Posts
Inspect the helmet. In particular, examine the EPS liner which can be viewed by removing the inner padding. I doubt a drop, such as the one you mentioned since the helmet was empty, would damage the EPS. Also, examine the exterior for damage or cracking. Here is what Snell has to say about it:

http://www.smf.org/headsup/headsup40.html#7

Mishaps
I f an empty helmet is dropped a few feet from a table top or the back of a bike onto a hard floor or pavement, the impact management is likely unaffected. The shell may be marred, even chipped but, in our experience, there would be no detectable effect in test results. Unless the manufacturer advises otherwise, one such simple fall is no reason to mistrust a helmet. Even so, such mishaps are to be avoided. Helmet damage is cumulative. A history of clumsy handling will destroy a crash helmet eventually.

D eliberate abuse is another matter. Crash helmets are inherently fragile, they protect by taking damage. An intemperate act may render a helmet useless. Anyone who abuses a helmet should be responsible to replace it.

Helmet Damage
A ssessing impact damage is much more difficult. Cosmetic chips and dings start to appear on many helmets almost as soon as they?re taken out of the box but need not suggest degradation of protective capability. However, broad areas of deep parallel scratches and any broadly distributed pattern of cracks suggests some sort of head impact. If a Snell certified helmet has involved in head impact, it should be retired and replaced.

S ometimes, the impact managing liner of a crashed helmet will feel spongy to the touch. Particularly if it is made of expanded polystyrene (EPS). When the helmet shell strikes an impact surface, it stops moving immediately but the head inside the helmet remains in motion crushing the liner between itself and the inner surface of the helmet shell. As it is crushed, the liner applies controlled braking forces to the head slowing it to a relatively gentle stop. But it takes permanent damage doing so. This damage may be detectable. If an EPS liner feels spongy in some areas and firm in others, the liner has likely been compromised, the helmet should be retired and replaced.
U nfortunately, many helmets will not be visibly affected by impact. Some helmet shells will flex considerably without cracking or splitting. The crush damage to an EPS liner may be at the outer surface, just under the shell so that the inner surface remains deceptively firm. If the helmet was truly impacted, its capabilities have almost certainly been compromised and it should be replaced. Who ever was wearing it knows but there may be no practical way for anyone else to determine its condition conclusively.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.