Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was proud of myself this year because I promised myself I would not buy a bike. As my friends know, I have been in a rut the past 5 years, and have picked up a new bike for some reason or another (2 crashes, 1 stolen). I am really starting to believe that Larry is rubbing off on me. I think I hung around him too much at the convention and at Mid-Ohio!

So my R6 won?t start...no problem. It has error code 14 on it that is related to the air intake. I take it down to track and trail, and turns out they have labeled it as "catastrophic engine failure". No problem...I have the extended warranty, so not to sweat it.....but Yamaha is dragging their feet IF they will fix it!

Anywho, this is the bike I purchased in Wisconsin last year. Track and trail wanted to see the bill of sale so they can show Yamaha they must take care of the problem.

As I walk to the service dept, they get a copy of the form, I stopped by and said hello to the 3 sales people who I know very well in the office. Just BS'n, I mentioned that I was looking for a track bike, but not seriously. If I see something, I will look at it, but not searching all day for one. One says, I have something you may be interested in--we sold a brand new 07-GSXR1000 to a 20 yr old kid. This was his first bike. (you know where this is going).

OK, so the bike fell over in his driveway, and he got rear-ended at a stop sign. His mother (who financed the bike) said he was never bringing that home, and the kid was scared to ride a bike again.

Looking at the damage, there seemed to be all the fairings, exhaust system, and engine cover as the obvious ones. I offered a price to take it, and here let me introduce to you the new 07 GSXR1000 in my garage:

My poor R6:

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, so now I'm torn what to do?..I took the bike out for a LOOOOOOOOONG ride Saturday to see if I would like to convert the bike to the track, or sell it and buy a 600 for the track. Well, after putting about 120 miles on it, I will admit.. I LOVE IT!! The power is breathtaking! totally amazing what the bike has. The only thing I didn't like about it was the braking system, other than that; it was a truly FAST machine. . Im just wondering if it is too fast for the track. Even with a VERY TEMPORARY gear shifter on (gotta love duct tape!), I was very impressed how easy it was to shift. I REALLY liked having the gear shifter indicator on the screen! that is awesome!

I spent all night tonight going over it, and the side fairing is made of 3 pieces. Only the middle one got damaged, so I will only need the center one. I would estimate approx $1,000 to put the bike back to 100% perfect condition again. It came with a clear title. I picked it up last Friday, and I can tell the kid was way over his head about this bike. He admitted to me that the reason why he bought it was because all the magazines said this was the best bike to buy. I told him I was looking for a track bike, and he didn?t even know what a track day was. After explaining what a track day was, I told him if he ever decides to buy a bike again, go to any major forums (r1, r6, gsxr etc) and he will see why everyone says not to start on a 1000. He didn't know what forums were either. At this point, I gave up. I just graciously took the keys, and went to track and trail to pick it up.

Moral of the story: Don't get a 1000 for your first bike. Not only will you almost kill yourself, but you will loose a lot of money on the deal too.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
oh so you are keeping the r6 also?? if so good to hear. glad on the pick up. they are great bikes but i will tell you the only problem i have seen was wehn someone took the mudflap off and and left teh wire for the tag light and it grounded out and would pop the fuse

·
I have titanium in my bones
600 Posts
Not to jack it but...

Nice lean angle on the 6 pic.

One of the few guys that has his knee down without hangin' off like a monkey just to get the shot. :fact

·
Throw Some D's On It
8,779 Posts
Nice new ride!!

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh so you are keeping the r6 also?? if so good to hear. glad on the pick up. they are great bikes but i will tell you the only problem i have seen was wehn someone took the mudflap off and and left teh wire for the tag light and it grounded out and would pop the fuse
\

OMG YES!

The r6 has to be the best 600 class bike I have ever rode...ever! I have no plans to get rid of that anytime soon. i just wish they would get it fixed, so I can take it to the gap in a couple weeks, but it doesnt look like it. i will have to take the gsxr down.

·
Lean wit' it, Rock wit' it
267 Posts
I'm just curious how much you picked it up for and how many miles did it have on it?

As a kid i kind of lost my four wheeler in a similar fashion. One of my friends that i use to ride with went out riding one day (without me) and he hit a large rock in a field where we normally rode. He flipped over the handle bars and broke his neck which killed him instantly. When my mom found out later that day she took my four wheeler from me and sold it a week later. I was mad as hell but now that i'm older i can understand her concern.

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to jack it but...

Nice lean angle on the 6 pic.

One of the few guys that has his knee down without hangin' off like a monkey just to get the shot. :fact
Thanks man! I appreciate the comment. That is what riding deals gap over and over again does to you! The picture was taken on mile markers #4 known as the parsons branch corner. It is about a 190 degree turn--totally awesome..then again, so it the entire road!

·
I used to be LE351!!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just curious how much you picked it up for and how many miles did it have on it?

As a kid i kind of lost my four wheeler in a similar fashion. One of my friends that i use to ride with went out riding one day (without me) and he hit a large rock in a field where we normally rode. He flipped over the handle bars and broke his neck which killed him instantly. When my mom found out later that day she took my four wheeler from me and sold it a week later. I was mad as hell but now that i'm older i can understand her concern.
The bike has 3200 miles on it--looked like it was parked outside for awhile, because the key actually is corroded from the rain.

I would rather not post how much I got it for. I actually felt kinda bad for them after I left..........they took a huge loss.

·
INVICTUS
14,881 Posts
Thanks man! I appreciate the comment. That is what riding deals gap over and over again does to you! The picture was taken on mile markers #4 known as the parsons branch corner. It is about a 190 degree turn--totally awesome..then again, so it the entire road!

Showoff:finger

·
NOVICE
1,080 Posts
so what did u pick it up for
:)

sorry,, had to ask

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
Lucky man livn the best of both lives!!! and great pic on the 6

·
I have titanium in my bones
600 Posts
I just call it how I see it.

·
My R1 is faster than yours
1,505 Posts
same thing happened to my friend on his 06 r6.
but he said he absolutely hated the 06R6 and he has been a die hard yami fan for years
...he is now on a 07 cbr600rr and loves it

good pick up on the gsxr i love the 07s they are in one word amazing...im so torn whether or not to pick up another R1 or an 07 gsxr1k

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
glad to hear you are keeping it man. i wish i could come up that weekend and hang out with you but there is no way. but when are you heading down to the hill

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Great Marty! I'm so glad that we bugged the living sheot out of you to try the track. See what happens? muahahhahah
Bike looks great! Get signed up for JenningsGP in Febuary fooo!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.