Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've had a little bit of extra time lately and the weather is cold so I pulled my fairings and installed my COB angel eyes. The worst part by far was removing the fairings. Like I said before, I HATE removing and installing fairings. Once I got past that it really didn't take me long to open the headlights and install the COB halos. I also made a little panel above my gauges for my toggle switches since I didn't want to cut my fairings. I'll try to get my fairings on tomorrow and get some pics. I tested the angel eyes throughout the process using my truck battery and everything works. I used the drill + wire twist method instead of glue. I've heard glue discolors, melts, causes fog in the headlight etc etc so I thought I would give wire twisting a try. The wires are ALMOST invisible, if you look close you may be able to see them. Here's a preview:

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
from one of his other 85 threads...

what is it with you and dudes legs?? :fruit:
Did i miss something about dirty legs from another thread.

:LolLolLolLol::LolLolLolLol::hello-kitty:
If you really want to know we can meet up some time, dirty legs ;)
:eek:wwn3d

Did you ever do the relay yet? Curious as to how it went if you've done it yet! Hopefully as easy as it should've been :)

Install looks good by the way!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
haha, are you sweatn this so much you'll call me out through your keyboard??

sure we can meet up and settle it.....

but I would suggest your next moronic thread be titled "help beating up an adult".
Oh baby, you misunderstood my intentions. Violence was the least of my priorities ;) I just wanted to teach you the real meaning of a "group ride".

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you ever do the relay yet? Curious as to how it went if you've done it yet! Hopefully as easy as it should've been :)

Install looks good by the way!
Actually I calculated the amperage and found some switches that are well above that so I'm gonna try to just directly wire to the switches first and then if that for some reason doesn't work I'll try the relays. Thanks for the help though.

· What's a motorcycle?
1,116 Posts
What temp/duration did you use to melt the adhesive and separate the headlamp assemblies? I'm doing a somewhat similar project and need to know the best way. I was thinking ~ 200 degrees for 10 minutes?

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What temp/duration did you use to melt the adhesive and separate the headlamp assemblies? I'm doing a somewhat similar project and need to know the best way. I was thinking ~ 200 degrees for 10 minutes?
I did 250 degrees for 7 minutes and it worked perfectly. Be careful when you reseal the headlight though. My angel eyes have a clear coating over the actual light diodes and one looked like it got slightly warped from the heat "angel eyes were facing down". The second headlight I put in with the angel eyes facing up and didn't have that problem. Function wasn't damaged at all, but it could have been if I had left it in much longer.

14,358 Posts
Those look great bro! Keep up the good work! :33:

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All done. I won't ever do this again unless someone wants to pay me. It took so much longer than I expected. I'm not a professional but I'm not new to bike modding either. I'd say I put around 20 hours into this all said and done, plus about a mile of wiring. When people say a rat's nest of wires they aren't kidding.

Here's where I ended up mounting my switches.

14,358 Posts
Looks great bro! Excellent work :33:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.