Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here’s the deal. I bought a 01 R1 about a week or two ago. The former owner had a mishap with the original engine, tried to repair it, blew it again and then replaced the motor with a 02-03 R1 engine. For some reason, they installed the motor but never put everything together (wiring harness, ecu, gauges, ect). The owner gave me a ton of parts to include the original motor (torn down), new head and damaged head and so on. I also have the newer 02-03 engine currently mounted in the frame right now. It needs a few parts installed (which I have) but I need a few more parts to get it started. The owner had no clue if the newer motor runs or not. I’m not a fan of keeping the 02-03 motor because it’s just not original and the way that it is mounted in the frame is not 100% secured to me. Two of the mounting points are not even used.

Now my question is...

Should I go ahead and see if I can rebuild the original motor and re-install it?

or

Should I get the missing parts (ECU, gauges, airbox, ect.) and do a engine swap?

Here is a pic of the original motor.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the 02-03 motor currently installed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Take it by a machine shop and ask. Looks like she dropped an exhaust valve. The piston may have deformed the cylinder. Could be salvageable, may not be. Hard to tell from here. Personally, I'd try to rebuild it. Ultimately, it's up to you. If you have the knowledge and the right tools, do it. If you don't, hire it out or just slap that other engine in there.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I looked at the cylinders on the original motor and noticed that the cylinder with the damaged piston has some scoring on the walls. So, now I’m thinking about replacing the 02-03 head with the 00-01 spare head that I have. I’ll need to pull the valves and clean it up first. I think that might be the best route to go.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So I looked at the cylinders on the original motor and noticed that the cylinder with the damaged piston has some scoring on the walls. So, now I’m thinking about replacing the 02-03 head with the 00-01 spare head that I have. I’ll need to pull the valves and clean it up first. I think that might be the best route to go.
How bad? Think a shop could clean her up with a ball and just re ring and maybe slightly oversize? Or is it gouged deep? I had pete clean up a cylinder on a thumper for us a while back. We just slightly oversized. Customer seems happy. He should still replace his head bearings and install his rear caliper, but that's a whole 'nother story. Point I'm driving at is, the cylinder might not be trash. Take it to a shop before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could give it a shot. The gouges are not super deep. If I run my thumbnail over it, it’s barely noticeable.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have a shop hit it with a ball hone to bring back the cross thatch and slap a new factory piston and rings in there then homie. Just make sure you check that ring gap.

I bet you're good.

You still might want to hire it out though, these things are HIGH STRUNG.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On another note! I went out to throw out my trash and something caught my attention when I took a quick glance of the R1. I noticed that the rear tail (seat area) seemed a little off. When I got closer, I noticed that the subframe was bent. Son of a *!!! I looked the whole bike over and I missed this. So it looks like frame repair is also going to be in my future.

·
Registered
524 Posts
On another note! I went out to throw out my trash and something caught my attention when I took a quick glance of the R1. I noticed that the rear tail (seat area) seemed a little off. When I got closer, I noticed that the subframe was bent. Son of a *!!! I looked the whole bike over and I missed this. So it looks like frame repair is also going to be in my future. View attachment 1018123
Oh @#$%

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was going to hire it out (motor work) but the stealership wants $3-4K to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I can do the work myself but it will take some time. Between dad life, track season, work and school, my down time is minimal at best.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Completely my fault. I (usually) do a pretty good job going over the frame before I seal the deal. I don’t know how I missed this! This will be a learning curve for sure.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you've got the stones, give her a go big dog. Good luck. With that sub frame, I'm hoping you're handy with a tig. You can still get another sub. Attaching it, that's the issue.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another pic from the back.

the gas tank wasn’t on the bike when I went to go see it. This would have been a red flag if I had seen it before hand. Oh well, life lesson.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe give it a few days to consider your options, it would be a shame to start the rebuild then get in to a money pit, then of course the point of no return, maybe see what you could sell the parts for, you could recoupe most of your money back in spares..
I had the same experience with a GPz 900r back in the day, I ended up selling parts of the bike and made money :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes, that can be done, otherwise it's a lot of work to get the fuel injection to work.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe give it a few days to consider your options, it would be a shame to start the rebuild then get in to a money pit, then of course the point of no return, maybe see what you could sell the parts for, you could recoupe most of your money back in spares..
I had the same experience with a GPz 900r back in the day, I ended up selling parts of the bike and made money :)
Yeah, I thought about that. This thing has a lot of good parts. I do like challenges. I think that the frame is going to be a big challenge. I’m not too worried about it. The wheels, steering damper, forks, bodywork and exhaust can easily get me my money back, and then some. I just wish I had a definitive answer on if the 02-03 motor ran. The stoner that I bought it from didn’t seem to know.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Will the fuel tank not sit on the frame correctly?
put the rear tank mounting/pivot bolt in and give it another look.
In your picture the tank rear mount is not sitting proper in the frame yoke.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The area that is tweeked is right at the gas tank mounting area (look at the cross brace). I have a plan to see if I can correct it. I will see if I can start working on it this weekend. I might have to bring it into work and mess with it during my down time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts