Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that. This thing has a lot of good parts. I do like challenges. I think that the frame is going to be a big challenge. I’m not too worried about it. The wheels, steering damper, forks, bodywork and exhaust can easily get me my money back, and then some. I just wish I had a definitive answer on if the 02-03 motor ran. The stoner that I bought it from didn’t seem to know.
Remove the crank cover and the cam cover, put some assembly lube on the buckets, verify the lash (since you are in there anyhow) and verify the timing and spin her through a few revs.

If she spins through and the buckets don't get stuck, and the valve lash is good, I bet she will run.

I'd pull the buckets and clean the head myself, but, I'm paranoid.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wanted to get the frame ready for the welder when the subframe shows up. I’m going to get the frame powder coated again. I like this blue but it is too light. It doesn’t match the Yamaha blue color. I’m thinking black for the frame, swingarm, top triple clamp, fairing stay and rear caliper mount. This bike was lowered and I want to lift it up again. Lowered and chromed out bikes are not my thing. The rear shock has blue paint on it (again, doesn’t match the blue of the frame, or the OEM paint 🤔). This is going to be interesting.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Before I tear into this motor, I just want to ask. If I want to keep this thing carbureted and stay with the 02-03 motor, I just need to stick the carbs on this top end? Is this correct, or do I need to change out the head as well? I want to see if this 02-03 motor fires up before I get rid of it. If I need to swap out the 02-03 head out for the 00-01 head, I will just rebuild the original motor. I have those parts on the way anyway.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd stick with the 00-01 stuff and avoid any hassles the engineers left for you. I'm not one to mess with what works. Someone else might chime in with different advice.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts