Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
one call at a time..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bought my R1 in January 05. Well on 9/9/05 I'm riding down the interstate and piston number 4 decides it wants to give on me sending a rod through my block; which [email protected]#$ed up a lot sh#$. My bike is covered under warranty and yamaha will cover the damages. But here's the thing. Yamaha stopped making 05 engines mid-way through the year and now they are forced to order all new parts for my bike and rebuild my engine. The only thing that is going to be left from the original motor is my transmission. My gears are still good. But I don't like the fact that I'm basically getting a rebuilt motor. But when I think about it, it IS a new motor. I'll have to do all the services all over again which sucks because when the motor went on me I had 11,600 miles on it. My problem is I won't trust the motor in my bike when I get it back. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and how did their motor hold up after being replaced with all new parts? This really pisses me off because I bought this bike brand new and the whole reason in buying brand new was to avoid this crap that you would get from buying used shiat. Anyway everyones advice and opinions are welcome, thanx...

·
one call at a time..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LDHR1 said:
a 06 motor would be a better fix.

You know thats what I suggested to yamaha and they said that it wouldn't work. What the hell is so different from the 05 engine and the 06 I don't know. It would be cheaper for them to do an 06 motor versus building an 05 motor. Yamaha is eating $4500 on this job.

·
one call at a time..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poe said:
Will they let you extend your warranty if you already haven't done so or will it come with the rebuilt??(a 1yr. warranty) Got me wondering about what they'll do. I know I plan on buying an extended warranty before my 1yr. is up.....if nothing else for peace of mind.

http://www.la-cyclesports.com/warranty/enter.html

I spoke with yamaha about the warranty issue on the rebuilt motor and they said that they would not extend the warranty and the warranty on the unit would go out a year from the date that I purchased the bike. Of course I did argue this with yamaha and got them to extend my warranty 1 year from the day I pick up my bike. I also tried to get them to pay for my services as well because its not fair that I'll have to pay for them all over again. I would definetly recommend purshasing the extended warranty. I didn't purchase the extended warranty and don't plan on doing so. I'll probably get rid of my bike and get an 06. Also, it is important that you have all the services done on the bike. Because if a situation like mine occurs they will ask if you took the bike in for all the services and will require you to show proof.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,420 Posts
My opinion is just as you said.....

Get the extended warranty.
Document ALL sevice.
And then when you have all of this in hand and you get a rebuilt motor......ditch your bike and get a new one.

·
one call at a time..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mattf said:
My opinion is just as you said.....

Get the extended warranty.
Document ALL sevice.
And then when you have all of this in hand and you get a rebuilt motor......ditch your bike and get a new one.
I know what I need to do but the eight months I spent riding this thing I've grown pretty attached to it. Eight months isn't a long time but it in a way is if you've put almost 12,000 miles on it. But yeah you're right...

·
one call at a time..
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mattf said:
I'm attached to my bike too....but I know what you mean about the motor thing, not trusting it, it's not new....I could get attached to a new 06 pretty quick I bet!

:lol :lol true:yesnod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts