Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· My R1 eats........ Cooter?????
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was riding my bike the other day.... and well down shifted maybe a little to much... causing over rev.... i started to here a noise coming from the motor so i pulled over and listened.... now its making a noise at higher RPMs that sound like a clank... bent valve...??? I mean I am not really too good at these things just like to ride...

· Moving sucks...
10,202 Posts
If you're seriously contemplating internal engine damage, I would take it to a reliable shop that you trust and ask them to do a leakdown and compression test on the motor.

If you're only wondering if something is wrong you should:
- check to see if your motor is burning oil out the exhaust
- change the oil and inspect what's in the oil and filter (like pieces of steel or aluminum, or coolant)
- inspect your coolant for signs of engine oil

· Banned
11,225 Posts
If you're seriously contemplating internal engine damage, I would take it to a reliable shop that you trust and ask them to do a leakdown and compression test on the motor.

If you're only wondering if something is wrong you should:
- check to see if your motor is burning oil out the exhaust
- change the oil and inspect what's in the oil and filter (like pieces of steel or aluminum, or coolant)
- inspect your coolant for signs of engine oil
.....+1

· Wanna do a track day
249 Posts
more details plz

Well I was riding my bike the other day.... and well down shifted maybe a little to much... causing over rev.... i started to here a noise coming from the motor so i pulled over and listened.... now its making a noise at higher RPMs that sound like a clank... bent valve...??? I mean I am not really too good at these things just like to ride...
When you say down shifted to much what gear were you in? and what gear did you drop down to? and at what rev's and speed were you at? How many k's/miles do you have on her? Overall describe the situation when it happened if you can.

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.. thanks for the help guys... this is what happened.... I was in 5th going around 112... and meant to shift to 3rd but messed up and hit 2nd which caused the back tire to lock up for a about 1 1/2 seconds... not sure about what the RPM's were at but I am sure they were VERY high.... I pulled in the clutch and shifted to 3rd like I wanted to and i heard what sounded like a clanking noise coming from the motor..... so i pulled over and had my brother bring the trailer.... got it home and started it up.... didn't hear nothing... revved it a bit and the sound comes when i rev it into higher RPM's the higher up i go the louder it gets.... it really sounds like a peace of metal in the motor... but it is to much linked to the RPM's to just be a peace of metal.... my brother said it kinda sounded like a valve knocking... because it is bent... what do yall think???
PLEASE HELP

· Moving sucks...
10,202 Posts
OK.. thanks for the help guys... this is what happened.... I was in 5th going around 112... and meant to shift to 3rd but messed up and hit 2nd which caused the back tire to lock up for a about 1 1/2 seconds... not sure about what the RPM's were at but I am sure they were VERY high.... I pulled in the clutch and shifted to 3rd like I wanted to and i heard what sounded like a clanking noise coming from the motor..... so i pulled over and had my brother bring the trailer.... got it home and started it up.... didn't hear nothing... revved it a bit and the sound comes when i rev it into higher RPM's the higher up i go the louder it gets.... it really sounds like a peace of metal in the motor... but it is to much linked to the RPM's to just be a peace of metal.... my brother said it kinda sounded like a valve knocking... because it is bent... what do yall think???
PLEASE HELP
Are you running stock gearing? If you are, it doesn't sound like you put the motor into the stratosphere, RPM wise. I thought the R-1 could reach 100mph in first?

I'd take the bike to the shop and get it looked at. Are you blowing smoke out of the tailpipe at high RPM's?

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no sir i am not.... just the noise... at idle I don't have any sounds or anything... and it don't seem to be messing with the power of the bike... just sounds really bad... and I don't have the money to take it in.... just trying to figure it out my self...

· Moving sucks...
10,202 Posts
no sir i am not.... just the noise... at idle I don't have any sounds or anything... and it don't seem to be messing with the power of the bike... just sounds really bad... and I don't have the money to take it in.... just trying to figure it out my self...
No smoke, it idles fine? Seems odd that it could sound THAT bad.

It's a 2007, right? Isn't it under warranty? If so, take her in!

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea they said that if it is over rev that it wouldn't be covered.... and sooo if i take it in and they tear it apart and thats what it is then i'm screwed.... and yea the sound is bad... lol you can call me tom. if you think you could help if you heard it.....

· Moving sucks...
10,202 Posts
yea they said that if it is over rev that it wouldn't be covered.... and sooo if i take it in and they tear it apart and thats what it is then i'm screwed.... and yea the sound is bad... lol you can call me tom. if you think you could help if you heard it.....
I'm not a mechanic but I'm not sure that they can prove over-rev. Either way, if you have a really bad sound coming from the motor you need to get it fixed. It ain't gonna fix itself. Take it in and find a way to pay for the repairs. Or...don't run the bike until you have the money for repairs.

· Registered
107 Posts
it will be better to take it to the dealer, what can they say, worst case they say it is not covered and put it back together and give it back to you. but if you wait to long, your warranty is up and any chance you had will be gone, just don't what ever you do tell them what you are telling us!!!!!! that is your main problem. just say something like i was driving and it started to make noise, i really don't think the high revs caused your damage. it was more than likely the very quick change in rpms.

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes over rev still is possible,,,, a slipper clutch only works to a point... lol anyone that has a 07 go from 5the to 1rst or 2nd. lol yea it helps but not if you do it bad like i did.... ok well if it was over rev.... what are the problems you can get form over rev????

· The Patient
1,669 Posts
Then, theoretically, I've been wasting my time trying to troubleshoot. :lol

baaahahahahahahahaha

it could be he knocked the slipper loose and the clutch and stuff is making racket, thats a tough one, its almost impopssible to overev an r1 and bend a valve...... before i put in the yoyodyne i downshifted same as dude did and i got 1300rpm into the red and didnt hurt it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.