Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Off Topic mod
Joined
·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out all the encription from the router and now all the wireless connections work. Good! Now all I have to do it figure out how the laptop handles encription :lol
 

·
PWN3R
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
I hate wireless :)
 

·
we meat again
Joined
·
18,563 Posts
Hey Shadow...

About your Linksys wirless router, I did a few tests last week about the security/encryption with a laptop too using a Linksys wireless client pc-card. I updated the router firmware and the latest pc-card driver to support that latest WPA security.

From my tests, their WPA support still not working that well yet. I was able to comunicate with the router, but it keeps on connecting and disconecting every few seconds. That's their first updated firmware that added WPA support, so I didn't expect to work that well anyway. Hope their next update will be much better.

Then I did a few tests using the WEP-128 and it works flawlessly. Btw, if you encounter connection problems while using WEP, try to change your SSID and setup the client again. Cause it seems that there are a few bugs sometimes. I changed some configuration in the client side, then my connection became unstable, it disconnect ifself after like couple of minutes. Even I change back the setting to before, it was still the same thing. But when I change the SSID and do a new setup, everything works fine again.

Btw, don't forget to download this patch for your WinXP. CLICKY.

Here are couple of tips to setup a secure wireless network...

On your router:

-Disable SSID broadcast, so no one can see your wireless network unless they know your SSID. The best way to do it is, once you've disabled your SSID broadcast, change your SSID again to a new one.

-Enable MAC address filtering, so only the "allowed" PC(s) can connect to your wireless LAN.

:)
 

·
Full Time Post Whore
Joined
·
9,058 Posts
all you really need to do is enable MAC and you should be all set. What you do is plug in the MAC address of each device that will be on your network and you won't worry about anything...

To see MAC address for your laptop for example, go to start, click on run and type in cmd Then type in the command window ipconfig /all and hit enter. You will see MAC address there... plug that number in your router....
 

·
we meat again
Joined
·
18,563 Posts
Maxxym said:
all you really need to do is enable MAC and you should be all set. What you do is plug in the MAC address of each device that will be on your network and you won't worry about anything...

To see MAC address for your laptop for example, go to start, click on run and type in cmd Then type in the command window ipconfig /all and hit enter. You will see MAC address there... plug that number in your router....
Well, that's true, but personally I don't like people knowing I've a wireless network, so disabling the SSID broadcast is a good thing.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
If using default Windows Wireless Connection you will probably have troubles when disabling SSID broadcast. Windows connects to the strongest connection that it can find using SSID. If neighbors are broadcasting and you aren't, you will connect to them first. I believe I read that on the microsoft site somewhere and that is exactly what happens to mine. It doesn't matter what order you place the connections either. The MAC idea is probably the best.
 

·
Off Topic mod
Joined
·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the mac filtering in place but I let the router broadcast the SSID :)
 

·
Off Topic mod
Joined
·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maxxym said:
why? you don't need that if you have your MAC setup....
The truth is that everytime I fook with the router something tends to not work...
It is working now so I am leaving it alone :lol
 

·
relaxing
Joined
·
14,125 Posts
valerossi said:
.............
On your router:

-Disable SSID broadcast, so no one can see your wireless network unless they know your SSID. The best way to do it is, once you've disabled your SSID broadcast, change your SSID again to a new one.

-Enable MAC address filtering, so only the "allowed" PC(s) can connect to your wireless LAN.

:)
Same shit i do on every setup i have done. Encryption kills throughput so I dont even bother with it.
 

·
we meat again
Joined
·
18,563 Posts
natimar said:
If using default Windows Wireless Connection you will probably have troubles when disabling SSID broadcast. Windows connects to the strongest connection that it can find using SSID. If neighbors are broadcasting and you aren't, you will connect to them first. I believe I read that on the microsoft site somewhere and that is exactly what happens to mine. It doesn't matter what order you place the connections either. The MAC idea is probably the best.
Really? Interesting information. I donno but haven't encounter this problem yet. :dunno Same as my friend in his commercial building, he scanned multiple WLAN in his area, but he has his SSID broadcast disabled, and he didn't have any problems. Btw, when you've said the order doesn't matter, you should have only your WLAN SSID on your list anyway, so it will only connect to your WLAN.

Anyway, I will have to do more research about those information.

:)
 

·
we meat again
Joined
·
18,563 Posts
beafer said:
Same shit i do on every setup i have done. Encryption kills throughput so I dont even bother with it.
Well, encryption is good when you want to have more privacy about your transfered data. Anyway, you should try to upgrade your router's firmware and client's driver to enable the latest WPA support. The "old" WEP encryption isn't that secure anymore, according to network professionals, the WEP can be easily crack/decrypted now. Also the new WPA is much friendlier to use.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
valerossi said:
Really? Interesting information. I donno but haven't encounter this problem yet. :dunno Same as my friend in his commercial building, he scanned multiple WLAN in his area, but he has his SSID broadcast disabled, and he didn't have any problems. Btw, when you've said the order doesn't matter, you should have only your WLAN SSID on your list anyway, so it will only connect to your WLAN.

Anyway, I will have to do more research about those information.

:)
This is what I was refering to and let's face it, he's not securing Fort Knox here. Sometimes you just leave well enough alone. At least for a little while.

Maybe after he's comfortable, configure more settings one at a time as desired. Sounds like he should be pretty pleased just to have an internet connection again.
 

·
we meat again
Joined
·
18,563 Posts
natimar said:
This is what I was refering to and let's face it, he's not securing Fort Knox here. Sometimes you just leave well enough alone. At least for a little while.

Maybe after he's comfortable, configure more settings one at a time as desired. Sounds like he should be pretty pleased just to have an internet connection again.
I see, very interesting. Thx for the link... ;)

Well, maybe you're right, if it's working, then maybe we should just leave it alone for now. Anyway, yeah it's good to change/configure one thing at a time, so you will know what is working and what is not.

:)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top