Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Learning...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with ICON helmets? I absolutely love the look, but don't really see too many people wearing them (which makes me wonder if people know something bad about the quality or how they react in a crash that I don't know).

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
another thing I really like about my ICON helmet is the visor. Very well designed visor. Wont come up when I dont want it to, stays up, just a very well design compaired to alot of other helmets I've owned. I have a mirrored visor for mine and it is really easy to change from the clear to the mirrod takes about 20-30 secs no tools needed.

I want a couple more Icons. I love them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would say that they are a little on the heavy side, materials are top notch but they seemed to somehow make it bulky, But ICON does a good job at working with what they got. Personally I do not like any of the styles they offer, but to each their own. As far as crashing they hold up very well, I have seen many stuntas drop them from the side of their bikes on accident and they seemed to not shatter. Its made of poly carbonate so it is strong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would say that they are a little on the heavy side, materials are top notch but they seemed to somehow make it bulky, But ICON does a good job at working with what they got. Personally I do not like any of the styles they offer, but to each their own. As far as crashing they hold up very well, I have seen many stuntas drop them from the side of their bikes on accident and they seemed to not shatter. Its made of poly carbonate so it is strong.
Helmets shattering isn't how they work, plastic even less so than fiberglass. Strong shells don't mean anything about an effective crash helmet. They are made to crush, and while doing so providing softer braking force for the brain. Any mc crash helmet can handle a small drop with no head in it, it's when the head's mass inside that forces get high enough to affect outcomes. Icon sells helmets made with both plastic shells and fiberglass shells, both meet the same performance standards. Plastic will be a litle heavier than fiberglass due to the lack of reinforcing material, which means more of the heavier resin to make a shell that performs to the same basic specs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.