Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Learning...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with ICON helmets? I absolutely love the look, but don't really see too many people wearing them (which makes me wonder if people know something bad about the quality or how they react in a crash that I don't know).

Thanks.

·
1~MAN~1~WONDER
866 Posts
I love them,and I have one for sale if your interested?

·
Learning...
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't see the "halo" on the site, so I guess it isn't offered anymore, but I do see other Mainframe ones. Look very cool.
So you like it better than Shoei and Arai? Based on feel and look, or have you ever actually had it save your skull?

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
ive had a few...2 mainframes and one domain...they have saved my life twice:fact nice stuff, my buddy is a big icon dealer here in town and you see their products everywhere round here...

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
They aren't made by HJC, they are made by J-Tech, aka Xpeed helmets.

www.xpeedhelmet.com

Just repainted/re-branded with a mark-up. Quality is lousy, and they've had some issues passing DOT over the last few years, but no major consequences. A good review of the Mainframe over on webbikeworld.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/icon-helmets/icon-mainframe/
If they were having troubles with passing the dot inspection then how the hell would they pass the snell....snell testing is much more rigorous and extensive than just dot:fact

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
I had an xpeed a long time ago, the thing literally fell apart on me over the course of a year, and i take care of my things, never dropped it, the shield changing system is crap, but they are a decent bang for the buck if you can't afford anyhing else...

i wouldn't trust my head in that crap, i have an Arai and love it

it's your head, not mine:crash

·
Aaaarrrgghh!
3,470 Posts
If they were having troubles with passing the dot inspection then how the hell would they pass the snell....snell testing is much more rigorous and extensive than just dot:fact
ICON kinda cheated to pass the Snell test, they simply over covered the top, knowing the tests were mostly made on the top of the head by Snell. Having all that weight on your neck must be a PITA after a long ride. But like's been said here, helmets made by HJC, Snell approved, wherever the weight is, they did pass the test.

Difference between ICON-HJC and let's say Arai, is that for Arai, Snell isn't a "goal" to pass, it's a starting point.

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
Ive owned an arai along with many other brands and the Icon helmet is a nice lid:fact hell Im using a KBC at the moment and actually dont have anything bad to say about it either...Icon gear has saved my life many times including one accident where i T-boned another car and flew into the drivers side window:fact I walked away basically untouched everytime:fact

soooo....with my personal crash experience with these companies, I say ICON=good:fact

·
Aaaarrrgghh!
3,470 Posts
Ive owned an arai along with many other brands and the Icon helmet is a nice lid:fact hell Im using a KBC at the moment and actually dont have anything bad to say about it either...Icon gear has saved my life many times including one accident where i T-boned another car and flew into the drivers side window:fact I walked away basically untouched everytime:fact

soooo....with my personal crash experience with these companies, I say ICON=good:fact
Never said it wasn't ending at the same point than other brands, just that the way to "get there" would be different. :)

Arai reparted the weight in all the helmet, lowered the gravity center, they test their helmet before sending them to snell. I'm only saying there's a difference in comfort, weight, ventilations, etc. It's all you guys heads, i am simply saying what i know. :crash

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
alrighty then...my next helmets gonna be an AGV Rossi Replica:fact

·
I have titanium in my bones
600 Posts
Work at a shop and I've tried 'em all (along with many other Makes).

Just can't get myself to buy an Icon.
I've got friends who have worn them and then moved onto KBC which are in the same $$$ zone.

I've never been able to get over the weight of the Icons myself.

Own two RF1000's and my latest daily is the Shark Corser and I love it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.