Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

History:
~16K - spark plugs changed
~23K (~130 miles ago) - valve adjustment done

The coil has the Mitsubishi logo on it.

I was riding home the other day from work when I decided to give the bike some gas. As soon as the bike started to pick up around ~6K RPM I heard a pop followed by loss of power to a decrease of power and followed by the bike being super loud and weird sound and I smelled something...oil probably.

I immediately pulled over and looked at my engine to see where the sound was coming from and my 3rd ignition coil had popped out. I turned off the bike and with my gloves tried to push it back in but sadly could not due to lack of space. I turned the bike on and rode it home slowly. Was loud, vibration at low (starting off) RPMs. I made it home and tonight I opened the side and unscrewed the radiator to get to it and was able to push it back in and I heard the pop as it connected to the plug I assume but it was not flush like the 4rth coil was to the engine. I looked at coils 1 and 2 and they were not fully flush but were better than coil #3.

I had just gotten a valve adjustment done from the dealer (~130 miles rode since valve adjustment), could that have caused it? Do they mess with the plugs and the coil? I want to know if they did not tighten to spec and now this has occurred before I go calling them.

I will turn on the bike in the morning to see if it stays in or pops right back out. If it does what could be the cause? I have read that maybe the plug was not tightened all the way and came loose so it's sitting higher up and thus not allowing the coil to go all the way down like it normally would. Second is that maybe the coils are not tight anymore and need to be replaced?

Also not sure it matters or not but it was the first cooler days, 60F, since this fall season. Normally its been in the ~75 - 90s F.

Any and every advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you everyone in advance, much appreciated!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaah I see. Well good it's not anything crazy, or seems to be.

Now question is when performing a valve adjustment does one need to mess with the spark plugs?

If yes then I will be calling them tomorrow and having then fix it.

Any input?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
R1.. The fast kind
985 Posts
It's not totaly necessary to remove the sparkplugs for a check but it makes it easier to turn the engine..

The manual recommend removing them and i would guess they just forgot to tighten the sparkpluggs after service, but it will be hard to prove it..

Screenshot_20191007-181201_Drive.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ozzian thank you very much for all the info and image, greatly appreciated!!

They are a Yamaha certified dealer and the manual says it, will fight it and see where I get.

Thank you again!!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts