Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Completed My First Novel - Looking @ Summer 2019 For Publication

As the title states I'm 48k words into my first novel. For the last few years, I've had this idea for a book/ screen play regarding certain aspects of the world that haven't been touched on too much. I started it to take my mind off of the BS at work, and progress was initially slow. Then when I was no longer working, I put the pedal down. On my free time while looking for a new job (you know chillin' at the beach, chillin' in hotel rooms on vacation, visits to different cities and tracks) I've been letting my imagination run wild. I just finished chapter 6, and I have three more chapters to knock out. Next, it's on to me proof reading it then sending it to a proofer/editor.

I promise you that any active member on the board will love the drama/suspense/action/adventure/and the realness of the story. Stay tuned and buy a copy once it's completed.

Let the questions fly, but I can't reveal too much.

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When will it be done roughly?
I set a deadline to have the final story completed by the end of September. Then I have to go back and proof read it. I set a deadline to have it published by the end of the year, but since this is something completely new to me, I'm sure there are some stumbling blocks that I may run into.

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Exciting! What's your writing history like?
Ehhhh... Good question. Ummmm... I can write; I can write decently I believe. Above all, I have a very vivid and creative imagination. I did some writing in college and in the field over the past decade - mostly techinical, though. My background is along the lines of being a design mechanical engineer, so I'm always out to find a creative solution that's feasible. The same goes for this novel. You (meaning I, the writer) have to search for solutions to the story that complete all the pieces to the puzzle.

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished chapter 7. The way I initially outlined the story, it only contained 9 chapters. Now I only have two more to go. As of now, I'm 54,912 words in. It's 85 pages long now which equates to about 201 manuscript. I'm ballparking the final word count to be about 67,000 before editing and proofing. Then we'll see what happens from there. Time will tell.

·
Never too old to let 'er rip
88 Posts
I set a deadline to have the final story completed by the end of September. Then I have to go back and proof read it. I set a deadline to have it published by the end of the year, but since this is something completely new to me, I'm sure if there are some stumbling blocks that I may run into.
My son published his novel just before graduating high school (it's about 230 pages long). I will warn you, it took about him about a year to write and two years to edit. Granted, first I did a proof read and edit, then a couple of his friends did the same before sending it off to a professional editor, but don't underestimate the time involved for that part of the process.

Here is a link: https://booklocker.com/books/6234.html

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Way cool, and thanks for sharing that.

I can only imagine how creative it is coming from a highschool writer - they sure do have the super creative gene at that age. You must have been and probably still is very proud as a parent.

I'm looking into it now, and I see the reviews state that it's an interesting read.

·
88 Posts
I am really proud.

When he first told me he was writing a book, I though "We'll see how far he gets." But night after night he kept banging away at his keyboard. When he was finished and I offered to make the first pass at an edit, I though "This is going to be a real train wreck." I wouldn't say it started off slow, but you could sort of tell it was written by a young person. About halfway through, I could see his writing style improving as the book progressed, and I thought "This is actually getting good!" By 3/4 of the way, I was totally immersed and didn't want to put it down.

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am really proud.

When he first told me he was writing a book, I though "We'll see how far he gets." But night after night he kept banging away at his keyboard. When he was finished and I offered to make the first pass at an edit, I though "This is going to be a real train wreck." I wouldn't say it started off slow, but you could sort of tell it was written by a young person. About halfway through, I could see his writing style improving as the book progressed, and I thought "This is actually getting good!" By 3/4 of the way, I was totally immersed and didn't want to put it down.
Now that's a good book, and that's what I'm going for. I want my readers engulfed in the book, like "what's about to happen next? Aww, I can't put this thing down."

In all actuality, some parts may be predictable while others will completely throw you off and catch you off guard. AND, most importantly, if you ride or have ridden a motorcycle hard at any point in your life, there's a scene that every rider will love.

BTW, I hope you like charcoal and a Weber grill. :grin2:

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because they get the job done when BBQ'ing. You know, steaks, skewers, hot dogs, sausages, salmon, ribs, burgers, chicken, lamb chops, and anything else people put on a grill. You have to read the book to make the correlation.

If you like fast cars, fast bikes, food, friends, family, fun, Fontana race way, Funions, fishing, flying, and a bunch of other stuff like f#@king, you'll like this book. I'm kinda going on a tangent right now, but the book is definately a good read. Lots of action. Lots of suspense.

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For some reason, we all see things in a negative light most of the time in a defensive fashion before the positive.

I guess if more than one person saw it that way, then...

Anyway, if you ever meet me in person, you'll see I'm direct and straight forward - I get right to the heart of the subject; no beating around anything. I have no reason to step on anyone else' work. That's hate, and I'm not 'bout that life.

·
88 Posts
I have no reason to step on anyone else' work. That's hate, and I'm not 'bout that life.
I did not think for a second that you were stepping on anyone's work. After seeing firsthand the amount of time, effort and heart that goes into writing and publishing something, I would always be supportive of anyone who's working in that direction. I suspect you feel the same way, too.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,784 Posts
Editors and publishers are notoriously and brutally honest, which is understandable since their livelihood is at stake. Doesn't necessarily make them right but something to consider, unless you are going to self-edit and self-publish.

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished!

I'll just leave this here while I go back in and start the next phase of trying to get this as close to prefection as I can.

Thanks for the support...

·
Just Me.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm about 1/3 of the way through doing my first proofing/run through, then it's off for copywriting. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts