Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm just about done with my second edit. This is a tedious process.

It's coming along great. I let two complete strangers read my first chapter, and for people who knew nothing about the genre or topic, they gave great feed back. They also gave some criticsm, but for the most part, they seemeed to love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wish you luck and success with it. Writing a book and then everything after that is more of a challenge than I ever would have thought.

I wrote a book about my wife's motorcycling experiences and overcoming an accident that resulted in her left leg being paralyzed but then still getting back up and riding a motorcycle again after modifying her bike with an electric shifter. Writing the book took a while for me because I had to interview my wife, write the book in first-person, and then keep doing that to piece together the book. She'd get pissed and I'd have to quit talking about bikes for a while.

I found an editor that is not very expensive and he is really good about letting the author retain their story and writing style, as he mainly just checks for spelling, grammar, and continuity within the story. It took him about 5-6 weeks to edit our book (roughly 78,000 words - 290 pages). We are editing my second book, as I type this.

Publishing was interesting. After much thought and research, I went with Amazon/Kindle and their print-on-demand. It's much better than purchasing 500 copies and then having to store them yourself, or with some publishers, they stock your book and you pay them an annual "stocking fee".

The hardest part of it all is promoting. Many forums get really pissed if you post about something you have for sale but are not a "sponsor" and paying them money, many stores won't want to carry it, social media will only get you so far, and just getting the exposure and publicity is more work than you'd probably imagine. I know it is worse than I was expecting.

Anyway, drop me a message if you have any questions about what I went through and am going through with my books and I will give you any advice I may have. If you send me your email address, that will probably be the easiest way to contact me as I am only dropping in here about once every 1-3 weeks.

If you are interested, this is the book about my wife's motorcycling experiences...

https://www.amazon.com/Wrap-Tight-Enough-Motobiography-Misadventures/dp/1724052764/

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wish you luck and success with it. Writing a book and then everything after that is more of a challenge than I ever would have thought.

I wrote a book about my wife's motorcycling experiences and overcoming an accident that resulted in her left leg being paralyzed but then still getting back up and riding a motorcycle again after modifying her bike with an electric shifter. Writing the book took a while for me because I had to interview my wife, write the book in first-person, and then keep doing that to piece together the book. She'd get pissed and I'd have to quit talking about bikes for a while.

I found an editor that is not very expensive and he is really good about letting the author retain their story and writing style, as he mainly just checks for spelling, grammar, and continuity within the story. It took him about 5-6 weeks to edit our book (roughly 78,000 words - 290 pages). We are editing my second book, as I type this.

Publishing was interesting. After much thought and research, I went with Amazon/Kindle and their print-on-demand. It's much better than purchasing 500 copies and then having to store them yourself, or with some publishers, they stock your book and you pay them an annual "stocking fee".

The hardest part of it all is promoting. Many forums get really pissed if you post about something you have for sale but are not a "sponsor" and paying them money, many stores won't want to carry it, social media will only get you so far, and just getting the exposure and publicity is more work than you'd probably imagine. I know it is worse than I was expecting.

Anyway, drop me a message if you have any questions about what I went through and am going through with my books and I will give you any advice I may have. If you send me your email address, that will probably be the easiest way to contact me as I am only dropping in here about once every 1-3 weeks.

If you are interested, this is the book about my wife's motorcycling experiences...

https://www.amazon.com/Wrap-Tight-Enough-Motobiography-Misadventures/dp/1724052764/
Thanks for the feedback, Terr'. Writing the story wasn't extremely difficult. For me, all the pieces just seemed to fall into place. I'm rounding out my second edit, and to me, editing seems like the most tedious part. I have another 19 or so pages to red pen, and then it's off to my copy editor / editor.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll read up on Vicky's story to possibly gain insight as I've fallen multiple times, but I've been blessed by not being injured to a servere extent. There's always room to learn, especially from other's stories.

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is just a teaser to hopefully wet your appetite.

"...Before anyone could release their clutch, all six helmets turned in unison to see what was approaching from around the bend. To their surprise, they saw a Ferrari 488 Pista, a Corvette ZR-1, a Lotus Exige, a Tesla Roadster, a BMW 1M, a Mazda RX-7, and a pro-touring 1967 Chevy II speeding around the twin north bound freshly paved lanes. The Ferrari and Corvette were leading the pack, while the Chevy II was calmly following the pack a few car lengths behind. As the cars exited the apex of the curve a few feet from where breakfast had just been eaten, the only thing that could be heard was the ear gratifying concerto coming from the steel and titanium exhaust pipes of those magnificently engineered machines. The soothing off pitched hum from the exhaust made the fluid in the six motorcyclists’ spinal cavities resonate sending a chilling yet soothing sensation throughout their bodies. The moment was so powerful and raw as the cars accelerated towards the exit marker, it made each person's body slightly pitch forward onto their toes in a slow climaxing gesture. The sound continued to carry on through the winding road as they moved away from the six motorcyclists.

What seemed like a millisecond later, small rocks and dust could be seen thrown into the air from the 200/55ZR17 Metzler Racetec RR mounted on the rear wheel of the Aprilia RSV4...."

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts
Hm.

A bit technical? As in, mentioning very specific models and specs. I dunno. This kind of writing is somewhat lost on me. Any samples of your writing where it's not vehicle-related?

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
That's just a portion of one paragraph. Nevertheless, I appreciate your honest feedback. Everyone has something different in which they like.

I look at it as being descriptive while painting a picture. The rest of the book tells the story while that specific paragrah shows readers what's taking place at a certain point in time. You have to follow the whole scene to know what's going on.

Any samples of your writing where it's not vehicle-related?
"...The traditional cheesecake covered in a thin layer of harden chocolate sat in the middle of the cart on a silver dessert tray. Next to it was a chilled silver ice cream serving dish with house made vanilla ice cream. There was also a tall glass which contained approximately four shots of expresso. The waiter then reached down on the shelf under the cart to lift up a bowl of homemade whipped cream and a pouring dish which contained hot chocolate. As the waiter was getting organized and prepared, the table continued to look at the dessert tray in amazement..."

"...She looked at him as if she wanted him to rip her clothes off, and then she began to slowly slide up the bottom of her dress. She pulled it high enough to where her lace thong line resided, and then she pulled her panties down to her heels. She looked M.O. in his eyes, put the panties in his hands, and said, “you tell me!” He lifted the naturally vaginal lubricated panties up to his nose and held it there for a second. There was a faint smell of Fresh Seaberry Exfoliating Soap and Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb fragrance when he took a breath of the sexy thongs. He then stuck out his tongue and light ran it across the inside of the wet La Perla thong. He smiled as it tasted like mango flavored Aloe Vera juice. He replied, "just get us to your hotel safe, and I’ll take care of the rest...”

This is still in the current editing phase, so... it's going to my copy editor in a couple of weeks for polishing.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts
"harden chocolate" should be "hardened chocolate". A freebie for you :)

Yeah...ummmmmmmmmmmm. I dunno. This may work...? :dunno
It's still what I would call "technical" in that some things, to me, feel described to death. "Approximately four shots of espresso," "...naturally vaginal [should be 'vaginally,' I think] lubricated," "Fresh Seaberry Exfoliating Soap and Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb...".

I mean, I'm not the market for this, so maybe I'm a bad judge :lol

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My initial words may not target everybody, but the entire story is what will captivate my audience. In my experience, people like details. It helps etch the full image and story into their minds.

The small blocks posted I have already red pen'd in my story, but I just haven't gotten around to type them yet. Again, I'm not a guy who is primarily spending my time to write everyday like a career author. I'm an engineer who wrote a novel. As an engineer, it's going to have some serious details. I have aspirations for it to take me where I'm trying to go, so...

I do apreciate the feedback, though. Thanks.

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
"harden chocolate" should be "hardened chocolate". A freebie for you :)

Yeah...ummmmmmmmmmmm. I dunno. This may work...? :dunno
It's still what I would call "technical" in that some things, to me, feel described to death. "Approximately four shots of espresso," "...naturally vaginal [should be 'vaginally,' I think] lubricated," "Fresh Seaberry Exfoliating Soap and Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb...".

I mean, I'm not the market for this, so maybe I'm a bad judge :lol
Some of the excessive details have been removed or soften. It's starting to read much better after the edits.

I'm not sure who's all interested, but the edits are progressing phenomenally. I'm setting a tentative dealine of this summer for publication. It's getting to be a more smooth read, and it's coming along. I got very little negative feedback, some neutral feedback, and some good/great feedback. I'm telling you, if you ride or just love to enjoy life, this book is for you.

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Very small piece from my book:

The waiter gave a warm smile and walked away. The conversation at the table was centered around becoming more acquainted with the two new women joining the group. Continuing to drink and laugh while waiting for their food, Lines leaned over to his new woman.

He whispered to her, "do you want to dance?"

After the shot and a glass of champagne, she was feeling light and free like a silk scarf blowing on a windy Spring day. She leaned over in an attempt to make it look like she was whispering in his ear.

She said to him, “I’d love to” while licking on the edge of his ear.

The couple got up, and they walked over to a small area next to an unmanned piano. Their arms reached for one another, and they began to hold each other in dance position. As the music played in the background, Lines had a firm grip on her torso. It gave her the feeling of protection and comfort. The two of them began to move in unison to the music together. The smell of her perfume made Lines want to pick her up, put her on the piano, and push himself deep inside of her. However, he knew they were in a public place, and he had to maintain his composure. Simultaneously, the emotions she experienced made her feel light on her feet from his presence and his scent. She began to become more and more aroused, and she could feel her vagina getting wet. As the song came to an end, they began to separate. Those two received many smiles and soft applauds from onlookers in the restaurant.

Lines whispered in her ear, “tell the table I’m going to the bathroom.”

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
More progress.

Manuscript Critique : ...Done...
Comprehensive Edit : ...Done...
Minor Tweaking : ...In Progress...
Copy Editing : ...Coming Soon...
Proof Reading : ...Coming Soon...
Publication : Summer 2019

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Getting ready to head to final proofing. Pre-orders are already on deck. Finishing up on the last of the content editing.

With 80,000 words, there's bound to be a mistake. It'll get taken care of with final proofing.

"...he was on his way through the bedroom door..."

#hardwork #dedication

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
9 Participants
StraightSuccess
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing