Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is cool. I'm riding again. The R1 was in a storage locker for 4 years. I have a great job, and I am saving money :thumbup

I'm gonna need to do the California DMV skills test. I am going to have to do a sprocket change. I can't do 5 mph around the circle. My speedo doesn't even register any speed until I am at 5 mph.

I am thing either -1 +2, or -1 +3

Thoughts?

Time to go to work

:hellobye

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Everything is cool. I'm riding again. The R1 was in a storage locker for 4 years. I have a great job, and I am saving money :thumbup

I'm gonna need to do the California DMV skills test. I am going to have to do a sprocket change. I can't do 5 mph around the circle. My speedo doesn't even register any speed until I am at 5 mph.

Thoughts?

Time to go to work

I went -1 +2 on my 06 because the top end is sick and a little more torque down low is nice. So much more fun to ride with this gearing. I don't need to go 180 mph so the change was great for me. Glad to see your riding again!!!

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts

Thoughts?

Time to go to work

Put a huge sprocket on the back and do the test on one wheel. That'll show 'em!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Update:

I put a new chain on to go with the two new sprockets. After doing some riding, my first impression is that I do not like the -1 +3 sprockets. The only reason why I did the change, was so I could ride the 4-5 mph required to do the CA DMV skills test.

Well, at 5 mph, the gear change does very little. The change is more dramatic at 15-25 plus MPH. The bike seemed faster with the OEM sprockets, but it is definitely quicker in 1st gear. I took off from a standstill, gave nearly full throttle, up to 8-9k rpm's, and it felt like the front wheel was floating 1/4" to 1/2" off the ground. Before the gear change, I could go WOT up to 8-10k rpm's, and it felt solid.

Before, it seemed like the bike was faster by revving 1st and 2nd gears. Now, to go the same speeds as before, I have to rev the engine higher as well as upshift an extra gear. I found myself going 55ish in fourth gear at about 4,800 rpm. when I lifted to negotiate a turn, I found that my revs dropped to 3,500 rpms. I had to downshift into third gear. Before the gear change, at 55 mph, I would have been in third gear, therefore, no need to downshift.

I'm going to keep practicing the DMV skills test, but I think after I get my moto license, I will swap the 46 tooth for a 45 tooth (-1 +2). I think that will work well.

With the OEM setup, 55 mph in fourth gear was 4,300 rpm's. With the -1 +3 setup, 55 mph in 5th gear is 4,400 rpm's. Not bad. With the OEM setup, 65 mph in 5th gear is 4,500 rpms. With my current -1 +3 setup, 65 mph in 6th gear is 4,800 rpm's. Again, not bad. Overall, for various reasons, I don't like the -1 +3 setup.

With a -1 +2 setup, 55 mph in 5th gear would be 4,300 rpm's and 65 mph in 6th gear would be 4,700 rpm's. The -1 +2 setup seems like the way to go.

I don't do canyon carving at 80-100 mph. I ride up and down Cobb Mountain, which has a lot of very slow turns. The MY 2000 Yamaha R1 has enough power, that -1 +3 is really not necessary. Like I said, the whole reason for the change is to negotiate the skills portion of the California DMV licensing requirements.

I'm going to put on a new rear tire, and ride it some more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Racer Dude
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing