Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at a "mint" raven 06 r1 to buy over the weekend. the last bike I had was an 07 r6 and i loved it but the r1 is just so damn sexy i cant have any other bike now. how do I judge a fair price to buy the bike at? kbb no longer has private party pricing and i remember bikes being a lot cheaper when it did.. if it helps, the r1 has 20k miles and the guy wants $4800. what do you guys think? i live in NY. oh and bike is stock aside from akropovic exhaust. thanks!

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
Like Red said, seems like a fair price. Keep in mine you'll most likely pay a higher price just because you live in NY. The 06 is a great bike, I've had mine since buying it new and still don't feel like I don't need anything better.

· Registered
9 Posts
Seems a little high to me... I'm from NYC and I picked up a 06 raven myself recently with 4k miles in MINT condition for $5,000 with two helmets and a jacket. Was also deciding on a 07 with 15k miles for $5000 before finding the 06. My buddy picked up a 08 with 6k miles in mint condition few days ago for $6200 with many extras. I know people price their bikes ridiculously high in NY but gotta be patient and shop around and you'll find level headed person selling their bikes for reasonable prices. Try out of state too, usually bikes are in better condition and cheaper.

· Administrator
27,554 Posts
In KBB, I like to take the retail value and add the trade in value... then divide by 2. Didn't look at KBB, but lets say... 06 R1 has retail of $5800 and trade in of $3800. Average would be $4800.

For Nada, I looked at this one. I'd do the same with the retail low and retail high... average the two and you get $4757.50. So $4800 is a fair price. You can always try to talk him down $300-$500. :yesnod

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
In KBB, I like to take the retail value and add the trade in value... then divide by 2. Didn't look at KBB, but lets say... 06 R1 has retail of $5800 and trade in of $3800. Average would be $4800.

For Nada, I looked at this one. I'd do the same with the retail low and retail high... average the two and you get $4757.50. So $4800 is a fair price. You can always try to talk him down $300-$500. :yesnod
And having the cash in your hand helps also, I find that once the seller see's cash and knows you're serious they usually don't like to see you leave with your money

· Registered
9 Posts
Cash always talks but you gotta be careful in NY, especially if you're in the city area/the 5 boroughs. I wouldn't flash cash around unless I'm 100% confident of the person i'm dealing with and the surroundings... Just my two cents...

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive been looking religiously for slightly over a month now on clist. looked at delaware, mass, connecticut, ny, maryland, vermont, new hampshire, rhode island and the only bike i found that was a better deal was an 07 for $5000 with 9k miles. im gonna keep looking for a few more weeks, I think you guys are right and I can find a bike with half the miles for the same price. thanks!

· Registered
66 Posts
I bought my 06 for $5k and it had 16,xxx miles about 6 months ago. It wasn't in the greatest of shape either. But I had to do it because here in FL there are plenty of squids (myself included) who want litre bikes. I had previously looked at two other R1's which were both 04's I believe and one had 40,xxx miles and the other was close to 30,xxx if I remember correctly. These bikes were beat to shittttt--- had obviously been dropped, torn seats, dented tanks, the whole nine yards!!! And they were both asking $4500. Thank god I shopped around a bit but it was really hard for me to find a bike in good shape. I see R1's pop up on craigslist locally from time to time and it's the same story; poorly maintained and neglected. So to answer your question, I definitely think that is a fair price.

· Yo Yo!!
572 Posts
ive been looking religiously for slightly over a month now on clist. looked at delaware, mass, connecticut, ny, maryland, vermont, new hampshire, rhode island and the only bike i found that was a better deal was an 07 for $5000 with 9k miles. im gonna keep looking for a few more weeks, I think you guys are right and I can find a bike with half the miles for the same price. thanks!

Would you come down to Texas? I got an 06 with 6,700 miles. I'll sell it if price makes sense

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.