Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Unless the OP is an expert lever rider at the track he won't even notice the difference.
99% of us will never utilize all the benefits of the R1 much less the R1S.

I'm buying the R1 next month and I know there will be guys on older R6's flying by me on the track.
Not on the straights they won't:kiss:

·
"What"
2,321 Posts
Not making an argument here (if you know the difference).
I'm simply making a point that there is probably not much of a difference for the OP in terms of track day riding.

No where in my previous post did I mention that I'm an expert rider.
Why beat up on the OP? If he wants to buy an S then that's his choice.

So many keyboard warriors out here these days.
Probably because his dud mechanic claimed that he could ride at maximum hp easier.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Too bad op hasn't been on to update us. I hope he got his money back and fired that mechanic. As funny as it is, the only fault op made was listening to his mechanic without doing any further research. Poor guy probably hates this forum now.

·
Is this thing ON???
285 Posts
Unless the OP is an expert lever rider at the track he won't even notice the difference.

I'm buying the R1 next month and I know there will be guys on older R6's flying by me on the track.
As many have said... for the small price difference you are $ ahead by going ahead with the regular R1 over the R1S...for what you lose... the R1S should be $4k+ less... not $1500. Yamaha charges $500 for the 16th Anniversary paint job... how much do you think magnesium wheels, titanium rods, etc are worth???

Will you ever use either one to their full potential? Most likey... NO... but you can say that about any bike!!!

Not to mention resale in 5-10 years... I think you would easily recoup that difference!!! Look @ all the idiots trying to pass off an R6S as a regular R6(R6R)... as they don't want it identified as the "lowly" R6S

·
Speed Junkie!
367 Posts
As many have said... for the small price difference you are $ ahead by going ahead with the regular R1 over the R1S...for what you lose... the R1S should be $4k+ less... not $1500. Yamaha charges $500 for the 16th Anniversary paint job... how much do you think magnesium wheels, titanium rods, etc are worth???

Will you ever use either one to their full potential? Most likey... NO... but you can say that about any bike!!!

Not to mention resale in 5-10 years... I think you would easily recoup that difference!!! Look @ all the idiots trying to pass off an R6S as a regular R6(R6R)... as they don't want it identified as the "lowly" R6S

Couldn't agree with you more. The $1500 is definitely worth it, no question about it but you will see plenty of the R1S on the streets this summer. Now obviously the OP's mechanic is blowing hot air up his ass. But if he wants to get the S based on his mechanic's advice, trust me it won't make him any slower (or faster).

By the way, my first bike was an Ninja EX-250 about 20 yrs ago and I used that bike to it's full potential:laugh:

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more. The $1500 is definitely worth it, no question about it but you will see plenty of the R1S on the streets this summer. Now obviously the OP's mechanic is blowing hot air up his ass. But if he wants to get the S based on his mechanic's advice, trust me it won't make him any slower (or faster).

By the way, my first bike was an Ninja EX-250 about 20 yrs ago and I used that bike to it's full potential:laugh:
I hear ya. In 1986 I sold my 1977 KZ-1000 and purchased a new Ninja 600 which I think I was pretty close to using to it's full potential. I haven't come close to doing that on my 06 R1 in the 10 years I've owned it (or any of my other R1's for that matter).

·
Roadclosed racing Instructor
737 Posts
Not making an argument here (if you know the difference).
I'm simply making a point that there is probably not much of a difference for the OP in terms of track day riding.

No where in my previous post did I mention that I'm an expert rider.
Why beat up on the OP? If he wants to buy an S then that's his choice.

So many keyboard warriors out here these days.
Your avatar shows you are an expert rider... you know with the white number plate.

·
Crossed Up
1,601 Posts

I don't feel one has to be an expert level racer to notice differences like that. I'm just a lowly club level rider and the difference between the current gen R1 and the previous gen R1 absolutely blew my mind on the racetrack. When I put the Marchesinis on my race bike I felt a difference (in the change in direction mostly), my Ohlins forks definitely increased front end feel during trail-braking. Sure that's not apples to apples on the R1 to the R1S, but I don't think your statement is entirely accurate.

You read all the time about how much of a difference a set of lightweight wheels made for Interstate Joe when he ran to get a coffee wearing his sneakers and tank top, so I imagine a difference even larger than just wheels, and it being on a race track where the engine is spinning faster (so even more gyro force), would definitely be noticeable to even us mere mortals.

And you don't have to be an expert to utilize the benefits either. The benefits it has over the S are just ones that make the bike easier to ride (fast). Every time he opens the throttle, or throws the bike in for a corner he is utilizing those benefits. The rider will just have to work that little bit less, to make that bike do the same thing.

·
Speed Junkie!
367 Posts
I don't feel one has to be an expert level racer to notice differences like that. I'm just a lowly club level rider and the difference between the current gen R1 and the previous gen R1 absolutely blew my mind on the racetrack. When I put the Marchesinis on my race bike I felt a difference (in the change in direction mostly), my Ohlins forks definitely increased front end feel during trail-braking. Sure that's not apples to apples on the R1 to the R1S, but I don't think your statement is entirely accurate.

You read all the time about how much of a difference a set of lightweight wheels made for Interstate Joe when he ran to get a coffee wearing his sneakers and tank top, so I imagine a difference even larger than just wheels, and it being on a race track where the engine is spinning faster (so even more gyro force), would definitely be noticeable to even us mere mortals.

And you don't have to be an expert to utilize the benefits either. The benefits it has over the S are just ones that make the bike easier to ride (fast). Every time he opens the throttle, or throws the bike in for a corner he is utilizing those benefits. The rider will just have to work that little bit less, to make that bike do the same thing.

You have some good points. But I don't think the difference between the previous gen R1 and the current R1 is comparable to the diff between the R1 and R1S. Prev gen and current version are completely different bikes. R1 and R1S has the same motor and electronics package. So we're talking about a difference of 9 lbs of rotating mass (wheels and connecting rods). At speed, I find it very difficult to believe a non-expert will notice that. I would bet his lap times would not improve between the two models.

As far as value is concerned, no argument there....pay the extra $1500 and get the R1.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
By the way, my first bike was an Ninja EX-250 about 20 yrs ago and I used that bike to it's full potential
So by your statement if you and a moto2/GP/WSBK rider went head to head on a ninja EX 250...you'd win?

Because you just said you could use its full potential...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So by your statement if you and a moto2/GP/WSBK rider went head to head on a ninja EX 250...you'd win?

u know how hard it is to get that thing up to 110mph? :lol

i miss my 250, that thing was hella fun cornering

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
My comment is for every person out there that talks about not being able to use the full potential of a bike...(or its parts)

Who the hell can use the full potential of a honda grom? Who?

Someone can still brake later than you with it...they can still get on the gas sooner and they can still go around a corner faster...so please knock off the cliche comments about using a bike to it's potential...more than 1/2 of us are...yes there are still more skilled riders out there...duh.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts

u know how hard it is to get that thing up to 110mph?

i miss my 250, that thing was hella fun cornering
No, but I know how hard it is to get to 180km/hr with a GS500E...

·
Crossed Up
1,601 Posts
So we're talking about a difference of 9 lbs of rotating mass (wheels and connecting rods). At speed, I find it very difficult to believe a non-expert will notice that.

I don't think you realize how big that 9lbs is... At speed is where the difference 'will' be the most noticeable.

·
Speed Junkie!
367 Posts
Somewhere between this:

And this:

:grin2:

Looks like a big difference in the pics but it certainly wouldn't improve any lap times for the OP or any other non expert rider. You're a racing instructor so you would definitely know that.

Case in point.....a rider does a few laps on a stock 2015 R1 then guts the Cat (losing 17 lbs). Will that same rider go back out and put down better lap times? Doubt it. The difference is still negligible to most guys.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
ok, someone that owns a 15 take an r1s for a test drive. my prediction is u will notice the differnce in acceleration. just a feeling.
Yes...
You will notice lighter wheels and spinning mass in the engine even doing the speed limit to the coffee shop. I really don't understand the argument that you can't tell unless you're an expert.

...and as goatse mentioned it becomes more pronounced the faster you go. Just try hitting a fast chicane with stock wheels vs. carbon and explain to me why you would need to be an expert to feel difference...

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
21 Participants
BPr1s
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing