Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
dont follow me if ur scared
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to let ou guys in but all this carbon fiber this and carbon fiber that is fake . carbon fiber cans are either fiberglass or poly carbon. the process it takes to make something that is truely carbon fiber is expensive its takes a heated vacuum at 1500 degrees to fully cure it and it would cost more than anyone really would wanna pay. sorry but i had to get it off my chest i deal with real carbonfiber on a daily bases and its not anything like i see in cars and bikes.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I hate to let ou guys in but all this carbon fiber this and carbon fiber that is fake . carbon fiber cans are either fiberglass or poly carbon. the process it takes to make something that is truely carbon fiber is expensive its takes a heated vacuum at 1500 degrees to fully cure it and it would cost more than anyone really would wanna pay. sorry but i had to get it off my chest i deal with real carbonfiber on a daily bases and its not anything like i see in cars and bikes.

soooo uhhh yeaa can u hook me up :sneaky !!!

·
4,087 Posts
What do you mean "deal" with carbon fiber? My sister actually LAYS and PROTOTYPES molds for carbon fiber for aircraft. It's not as expensive as you claim it to be. My sister without any type of commercial discount can get the pre-preg carbon fiber rolls and we have talked about doing some motorcycle fairings, with an estimated selling price of under $2000 to make decent profit off them. That's including a form of molded cover for the metal partions of the tank. Not all Carbon fiber needs to be cured at 1500 degrees. It depends on the purpose of the part. There is no reason a carbon fiber exhaust can needs to have the same strength and structural integrity of an aircraft wing, so there's no point to manufacture it to the same tolerances. Most motorcycle pieces made of carbon fiber aren't structural components. Just because whatever manufacturing process you deal with is expensive, doesn't mean all forms of manufacturing carbon fiber costs as much.

·
Shamalama Dingdong
221 Posts
What do you mean "deal" with carbon fiber? My sister actually LAYS and PROTOTYPES molds for carbon fiber for aircraft. It's not as expensive as you claim it to be. My sister without any type of commercial discount can get the pre-preg carbon fiber rolls and we have talked about doing some motorcycle fairings, with an estimated selling price of under $2000 to make decent profit off them. That's including a form of molded cover for the metal partions of the tank. Not all Carbon fiber needs to be cured at 1500 degrees. It depends on the purpose of the part. There is no reason a carbon fiber exhaust can needs to have the same strength and structural integrity of an aircraft wing, so there's no point to manufacture it to the same tolerances. Most motorcycle pieces made of carbon fiber aren't structural components. Just because whatever manufacturing process you deal with is expensive, doesn't mean all forms of manufacturing carbon fiber costs as much.

Exactly... took the words out of my mouth.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly... took the words out of my mouth.
then youd be wasting money the resin that is used for carbon fiber has to be cured in a vacuum no exception i deal with it all the way down to fastners .plus to get carbon fiber its gonna cost you and you have to have a certain liscense as the real stuff is carciogenic or cancer causing why do u thikn its not avalible in brakes and such .if it was so cheap why dont evey sportbike have it why is it only saved for the pros polycarbonate looks alot like carbon fiber but hey maybe thats why even in the cars that it cost well into a million .

·
4,087 Posts
then youd be wasting money the resin that is used for carbon fiber has to be cured in a vacuum no exception i deal with it all the way down to fastners .plus to get carbon fiber its gonna cost you and you have to have a certain liscense as the real stuff is carciogenic or cancer causing why do u thikn its not avalible in brakes and such .if it was so cheap why dont evey sportbike have it why is it only saved for the pros polycarbonate looks alot like carbon fiber but hey maybe thats why even in the cars that it cost well into a million .

The last I checked, the Z06 Corvette was around $70, with carbon fiber floorpans. That's plenty short of a million. And what resin are you talking about? Do you even know what pre-preg is? No you don't need a license to buy carbon fiber either. My sister can go by some tomorrow. Do you have any idea how hard it is to create a vaccum? You get a vaccum bag and a vaccum. You drill a hole in a standard electric oven to feed in the vaccum line connected to a strong vaccum (I have a Kirby). You connect your thermocouple leads to the part, put it in the bag, and seal it. The temps only need to reach a few hundred degrees. The aircraft my sister works on doesn't even cure their parts near 1500. That would cause delamination of the part and burn up the carbon fiber. The ONLY reason I haven't tried to start this is because I live in SC and she lives in CO. She already knows where to get carbon fiber that has been expired for aircraft use, but completely acceptable for motorcycle fairings. The only other thing that I'm skeptical about is that it's 1/2in weave. I need to see how it would look and if people would like the look or dislike it.

It's not used in production bikes because it's retardedly obvious that plastic is cheaper and easier to manufacture than carbon fiber. It's the physical properties of the fibers that makes them bad for your lungs in the same manner fiberglass is. I highly doubt they are carcenogenic.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last I checked, the Z06 Corvette was around $70, with carbon fiber floorpans. That's plenty short of a million. And what resin are you talking about? Do you even know what pre-preg is? No you don't need a license to buy carbon fiber either. My sister can go by some tomorrow. Do you have any idea how hard it is to create a vaccum? You get a vaccum bag and a vaccum. You drill a hole in a standard electric oven to feed in the vaccum line connected to a strong vaccum (I have a Kirby). You connect your thermocouple leads to the part, put it in the bag, and seal it. The temps only need to reach a few hundred degrees. The aircraft my sister works on doesn't even cure their parts near 1500. That would cause delamination of the part and burn up the carbon fiber. The ONLY reason I haven't tried to start this is because I live in SC and she lives in CO. She already knows where to get carbon fiber that has been expired for aircraft use, but completely acceptable for motorcycle fairings. The only other thing that I'm skeptical about is that it's 1/2in weave. I need to see how it would look and if people would like the look or dislike it.

It's not used in production bikes because it's retardedly obvious that plastic is cheaper and easier to manufacture than carbon fiber. It's the physical properties of the fibers that makes them bad for your lungs in the same manner fiberglass is. I highly doubt they are carcenogenic.
ok have at

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
did it ever occur to you that there are several manufacturers out there who actually know what they're doing and make quality high end pre-preg autoclave parts . . . I think I may even have a couple bits around somewhere :2bitchsla

if your in the aerospace/defense sector I can see you attempting to justify the expense, in light of you loosing the contracts for the $500 hammers & $800 crapper seats :hammer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.