Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Storming twisty mountain roads
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with my immobilizer. My bike would not start and the red "code" key would not solve the issue.

The immobilizer light was flashing, what my mechanic said, was an error code not covered in the service manual.

To clear the ECU's memory and start the bike, my mechanic used the protocol described in a "secret" Suzuki dealer document.

I saw the document, it deciphers the flashing codes and lays out the required steps. These include using the kill switch and the code key, turning them on an off for a set number of seconds etc...

Could one of our dear gurus try to obtain the Yamaha "secret" immobilizer document? I will give this forum's reputation a major boost.

Michel

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do have a point:

1- If dealers were professional enough and honest enough to deal with such problems efficiently.

I have seen too many immobilizer problems solved with changing ECUs and other expensive rip offs.

2- If thieves did not have access to these documents. If my mechanic can get it illegally from the Suzuki dealer then sophisticated thieves obviously can and the less sophisticated ones will simply throw the bike in a van. Don't forget you also need the red key to do the job!

So I would rather have access to these documents to deal with stupid lock ups when they happen.

Any other though would be welcomed though.

Michel

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this forum has a great reputation , so why would we need a boost?
Maybe because sleeping on your laurels might crumble them (look at what happened to Caesar!) or just because the purpose of this forum is to help fellow bikers solve their problems. :)

·
R1 Addiction
16,606 Posts
think I will just listen in on this one. As fish said, could get interesting. :yesnod

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts
I had a problem with my immobilizer. My bike would not start and the red "code" key would not solve the issue.

The immobilizer light was flashing, what my mechanic said, was an error code not covered in the service manual.

To clear the ECU's memory and start the bike, my mechanic used the protocol described in a "secret" Suzuki dealer document.

I saw the document, it deciphers the flashing codes and lays out the required steps. These include using the kill switch and the code key, turning them on an off for a set number of seconds etc...

Could one of our dear gurus try to obtain the Yamaha "secret" immobilizer document? I will give this forum's reputation a major boost.

Michel
1. How did using the "secret" Suzuki dealer document help get your R1 started?

2. I doubt anybody from a dealer is going to step up and provide that information on a public forum.

3. U.S. bikes don't have the immobilizer.

4. I doubt that this forum's reputation is going to get a major boost by detailing information that is akin to helping someone steal a bike or buy a stolen bike.

5. We're not sleeping on our laruels. Keeping legitimate, non-proprietary information on the site is very likely what Yamaha, sponsors, etc... would like to see on the top R1 forum in the world. Why would we ever jeopardize that?

·
SO FAST SO CLEAN
9,703 Posts
1. Put your left foot in
2. Pull your left foot out
3. Put your left foot in
4. And shake it all about.

Remember, this is secret information and shouldn't be shared with others.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. How did using the "secret" Suzuki dealer document help get your R1 started?

2. I doubt anybody from a dealer is going to step up and provide that information on a public forum.

3. U.S. bikes don't have the immobilizer.

4. I doubt that this forum's reputation is going to get a major boost by detailing information that is akin to helping someone steal a bike or buy a stolen bike.

5. We're not sleeping on our laruels. Keeping legitimate, non-proprietary information on the site is very likely what Yamaha, sponsors, etc... would like to see on the top R1 forum in the world. Why would we ever jeopardize that?

- My mechanic spent an overnight of trial and errors he also used his instincts and experience I guess. My mechanic says an immobilizers is an immobilizer specially if its Japanese. The procedures are quite similar between brands.

- I agree that posting illegally obtained material might be an issue. But like I said, I have issues with corporations and dealers that use "secrecy" and "copy rights" to rip off their customers. My dealer is certainly a d**K head (check the fuse and change the spark plugs was his take on the solution) and Yamaha was not exactly forthcoming with the US ECU problem . It was pressure from THIS site that made things right.

- I already said it would be interesting to hear some suggestions, maybe asking Yamaha to inform us that a solution IS available in the first place and then maybe having access to the email of a Yamaha San we can contact in case our dealers decide they would like to sell some new ECUs.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
KMac
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing