Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2006 r1 and im looking to improve my cooling system somehow. Im moving from New Mexico to Phoenix and the temp there is high. Not only for the heat but I also want to build my engine and this cooling system would help with that. I've looked for fans, pumps, and radiators but all I found were OEM parts. Can anyone help me what to do and find solutions?

·
My R1 go to warp drive
490 Posts
1) Engine Ice
2) Graves radiator cap
3) A decat link pipe
4) A Tune

·
Nevermore
1,040 Posts

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,019 Posts
Works 2.0 Bar Radiator Cap. This radiator cap is designed to keep your engine from overheating by maintaining a higher pressure inside the cooling system thus increasing the boiling point of your coolant.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bikes are designed to run in the desert without overheating unless they are running way too lean. A compression bump or even a decent turbo setup won't boil it as long its tight and right. Even tracking days in boiling heat shouldn't do it... you'll boil your brakes first.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,335 Posts

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,019 Posts
@taman86

y-pipe on older R1 models, pre 2015. exhaust is 4 into 2 into 1 (mid-pipe cat delete or y-pipe) into 2 Exhaust (cans) :thumbup

on the newer models its just a mid-pipe as its a 4 into 2 into one, cat + (single) exhaust.. de-cat(alytic) *link-pipe IS the mid-pipe. :yesnod

now, the catalytic converter gets stupid hot; thats pretty much a direct result of its job.
toss that puppy, replace with a *link-pipe*, add carbon fiber can(s) and tune that beast. gone is the heat :fact

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh ok gotchya. From what i can tell my bike already has a decat mid pipe installed but my ass still gets hot as a mofo. Is that just the engine heat?

·
Venom X/O
23,231 Posts
Oh ok gotchya. From what i can tell my bike already has a decat mid pipe installed but my ass still gets hot as a mofo. Is that just the engine heat?
Under tail exhaust just does that. It’s common.

I second the secondary radiator. I had one on my 09 R1 and was impressed with how well it worked.

·
Nevermore
1,040 Posts
So with the engine ice, are you running it as an additive? What ratio to coolant?
No it's premixed and it's very important to flush out as much old coolant as possible.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,019 Posts
as others posted, its a hot bike.. pun intended.

pipes are running right under the seat to the dual undertail exhaust..

i'm not sure where all the heat is coming from :hammer:

i run engine ice as well.. just by itself, no need to mix with anything else. ready to go in the bottle :thumbup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts