Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Been running my '08 for a little over a year. When I drop the oil (between 1,500 and 3,000 mile intervals) I see metal. Usually glitter. I got some chunks last interval and didn't think much of it (figured it was part of the dog because I've missed second a time or two). Now learning that the pumps are prone to failure as are the big end bearings on the 07-08, I'm kind of second guessing myself. Another interval is close enough to due (2,200 miles) that I figured I'd drop it this weekend and take another peak. I'll also be taking a sample to send out to Blackstone. I just figured I'd ask for some advice on inspecting the bottom end. I was figuring on dropping the pan and checking the strainer, pushing on the big ends to check for play and getting a mirror in there to verify bearing shape and orientation and cleaning the strainer. I was also going to cut open the filter and check the element for material.

Any advice on inspection, any tips on what to look for and any extra steps to take you guys think might be helpful would be appreciated. Otherwise I will document and share my experience.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You had chunks of metal in your last oil change and have ridden another 2200 miles?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple. Missed a couple shifts too. Figured one followed the other.

Also, no knock or anything. She sounds good. Runs strong.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, no chunks in the oil and stuff looks fine, some fine metal. Looks like, motorcycle oil. And smells like, gas. As always. I think it was just part of the dogs last change. Waiting on some seals and such to inspect the oil pump.

Just figured I'd update. No photos because well, nothing to show.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, it isn't very fuzzy, so not much of the glitter in the oil is ferrous. It looks better than the oil in my bandit does when I drop it.

I run full synthetic 4t 10w40 in the r1 and VP racing full synthetic in the bandit. I'll check the stock on the shelf later for the weight. I believe it is 20w50.

There is very little play on the big ends and the oil looks pretty normal. I think dropping a couple chunks of the dogs out last interval and reading about the oil pumps just made me a bit paranoid. My mind is much more at ease after the oil drop today.

·
Venom X/O
24,675 Posts
Yea, it isn't very fuzzy, so not much of the glitter in the oil is ferrous. It looks better than the oil in my bandit does when I drop it.

I run full synthetic 4t 10w40 in the r1 and VP racing full synthetic in the bandit. I'll check the stock on the shelf later for the weight. I believe it is 20w50.

There is very little play on the big ends and the oil looks pretty normal. I think dropping a couple chunks of the dogs out last interval and reading about the oil pumps just made me a bit paranoid. My mind is much more at ease after the oil drop today.
There’s not a whole lot of brass in there, maybe you’re correct on the trans gear assumption.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts