Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Evil Inside
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the nonstop rain kept me off the bike but I did get a little while to install my new PCIIIr. Overall I thought it was pretty easy. My only gripes with the kit are very small. I thought the install manual was very skimpy and would have like to had some better diagrams/pictures where the OEM connectors were. It would also be great to be able to detach the cables from the PowerCommander so you can yank it out of your bike and up to a PC/Laptop. Overall the hardest part was routing the cables from the storage area to the front of the engine. The OEM connectors took a while to pull apart but overall I think it took me about 30 minutes.

As soon as I turned on the ignition the PowerCommander displayed a sweeping light and I hit the starter and she fired right up. As you turn the throttle you see the bands grow. I am assuming :) that I plugged everything in together :)

The unit ships with a map for a completely stock bike. I will post on any results I see when I get a chance to put a few miles on. I ordered a Yoshimura TRS Slip-on but I am a few weeks out until I receive it.

· Registered
9 Posts
bogging 2002 R1

Since you are working with the new fuel maps, etc., though you or another forum
member might have encountered my problem...or perhaps it is normal and I do
not realize it....I have a 2002 R1....have really little experience with current
generation sport bikes...shoot me, but been riding HD's for years...anyway, bike
is about broken in and starting to open it up...I am encountering something that
does not seem right for a Fi engine...i.e., say you running 6K RPM in 2nd and snap
the throttle WFO...the bike will sorta bog before it catches its breathe...does not
completely bog but goes soft for a bit before it opens up. All other Fi engines I have
experience with will pull away cleanly from any RPM on full throttle..obviously, they
will not open completely up until the RPM is sufficient to pull the load...this bike is
acting like it has butterfly carbs. Is this normal for this kind of Fi set up? If you keep the
RPM up to 8-9K..no problem and if you roll into the throttle, you can sense the point
of max power and open the throttle as the RPM builds...but that does not seem right.
Keith Bates "[email protected]"

· ...Is just so addicted to R1..
884 Posts
something is wrong...

If you are snapping the throttle in 2nd at 6grand you should be looking up at the clouds and you should begin to worry about looping it if you're not careful...something sounds wrong - I dunno, anyone else having these problems?

· Track Junkie !!!!
135 Posts
Tempest said:
It would also be great to be able to detach the cables from the PowerCommander so you can yank it out of your bike and up to a PC/Laptop.

If you wish to program the unit without it connected to a bike we do offer a 9-volt “power up” adapter.
This adapter supplies power to the Power Commander so that you can program it on your desk.
http://www.powercommander.com/buynowacc.shtml

· Home Track Qualified
898 Posts
GTO222,

You may want to check the Exup cables, Esp if you have not had the bike serviced yet. If they are like the '00 cables they are real easy to adjust. Mine had not ever been checked and were slack, caused some hesiitation with the throttle.

· Evil Inside
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JJJ,

I bought the power-up adapter as well. I meant physically detach the cables from the PCIIIr so you wouldn't have to take it off your bike to work on.

· So, you think your'e fast? Not
366 Posts
2002 R1 PCIIIr & Graves Full Ti

Regarding your gripe about the Pwr Commander. Just get a cheap Palm and upload your maps with that. Works slick and you can carry your maps with you.

BTW the pipe works excellent throughout all rev ranges.

James

· pavement tester....
7,317 Posts
Meee Too

Yea, I can barely get my 02 R-1 to come up in second, unless by clutching it. Im not the smallest guy in the world either though (around 200lbs). It pulls really hard though.
Whats the deal with the loose Exup cables? I did my own first service so could they be loose? HOw do you tighten them>

THanks

· High speed low drag.
180 Posts
If you want to take the power commander out, just go get some generic plugs that have the same number of wires as the commander. Cut the wires close to the unit and put the plugs in line so you can unhook it. Don't know how many connections it has, but some of the connectors for boat trailers have 4 pins and are pretty small.

· ...Is just so addicted to R1..
884 Posts
WHAT?????

I'm sorry, but the quote below just isn't making sense to me!! Before you go cut anything, if you want to take the power commander out of the equation, but unplug it's connectors and RE CONNECT the stock harnesses...you don't even have to remove the PC3, you can just re-connect it when you want it active!

speedkilz said:
If you want to take the power commander out, just go get some generic plugs that have the same number of wires as the commander. Cut the wires close to the unit and put the plugs in line so you can unhook it. Don't know how many connections it has, but some of the connectors for boat trailers have 4 pins and are pretty small.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.