Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· TurboDave
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice trackrider with an 05 R1 . Just completed my first day last weekend. I am an older than dirt rider with an arthritic left knee that I can not bend enough to get the balls of left foot on the OEM shifter and peg.
My right need bends enough to put the ball of right foot on the right peg.

During my instruction, my instructor told me to keep my balls on the pegs. I told him I could not for the left foot.

My question is, can I install a left only rear set and use the OEM right peg and not end up with a problem of imbalance of the bike when making turns at high track racing speeds? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

· Banned
31,992 Posts
I am a novice trackrider with an 05 R1 . Just completed my first day last weekend. I am an older than dirt rider with an arthritic left knee that I can not bend enough to get the balls of left foot on the OEM shifter and peg.
My right need bends enough to put the ball of right foot on the right peg.

During my instruction, my instructor told me to keep my balls on the pegs. I told him I could not for the left foot.

My question is, can I install a left only rear set and use the OEM right peg and not end up with a problem of imbalance of the bike when making turns at high track racing speeds? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
i think what you are saying is 'can i have 2 differing height rearsets?'....if so then YES of course you can, BUT! it is YOU that then needs to control the pressure to suit your adapted riding skill. so i say yeah, go for it! and let us know how it goes. good luck bro... i'm not far off body parts failing also.:(

· My R1 Loves to Eat!
52 Posts
Like Blur says, you can adapt your riding style to suit. Bear in mind that if the left side is lower, you will have significantly less clearance, and you'll have to learn to tuck your toes "up." You'll probably not be able to get cranked way over on the left side--But there is nothing wrong with a quick turn and scoot riding style... ;o)

· -.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,320 Posts
Your talking about the notch in your boot @ heel, keeping that on the peg? I kinda ride with my left toes on peg around corners. Only slide my foot down to shift, or down the straights. Had a couple surgery's on my left leg, so I don't really have the power needed to push off it(heel).
If you were talking about lowering the left rearset. Iam using sato's, adjusted 1/2 inch higher than stock. And have hit the shifter a few times at the track, So I wouldn't go lower than stock........

Attachments

· Louisville-Sportbikes.com
1,776 Posts
Its perfectly ok to do, but like was said already, look at how close your toes are to the ground. Theres not that much angle on the bike and your close already. Whatever you try, get more of your toes on the peg. Good luck and let us know what works for ya.....:thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.