Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm assuming this happens whilst you are riding.

Have you noticed if while the panel lights go off the rev counter also drops to zero?

Does it happen while you are breaking?

And do you indicators slow/stop working too?

I had this happening to me a few weeks back(and on a previous bike), it was a near flat battery, brought on by a shagged rectifier, changed recifier - problem sorted! There are other causes for the battery not to charge, such as a faulty connection(generally this seems to be at the front left clusters, under the infill), or it could be the stator coil being burnt out/faulty. I'd check connections and coil condition first, then fully recharge battery and see if it starts again. Although this can be hard to judge as new/newish batteries still self charge quite alot when not in use. If all's okay and it still occurs replace the recifier(?25-40) Although, I just went straight for the recifier replacement option and sorted it straight away.

Hope this is of some help!:thumbup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeha it does happen while braking and indicating I dont think the rev counter drops as it is hard to read while turning but i think the indicators slow down though.
I will go though the list you have given me when I get home and will post an update tomorrow!
Thanks heaps man anyways!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE............

Last night I pull off the tank so I could get to the rectifier and found that the plug to the recifier had burn marks in it so then I checked the connections and the connectors where loss, so I tighten them up and then went for a reallty long ride and looks like the problem is solved.
I will post another update if it starts up again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.