Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've used the search function, but could not find the details I was looking for.

Basically, I'd like to install gsxr mirrors with the integrated turn signals and plug the holes in the fairings.

The question is that I don't know the distance center to center on the mounts of a gsxr...

Has ne1 installed them?
Any particular model or stuff I should be aware.
I'd rather not drill...
BTW I have a 07 R1.

TIA:fork

·
'02 R1 ... fly low!
56 Posts
You will need to drill

The gsxr mirror bolts are 42mm center to center.

On my '02 I had to drill another hole for one of the mirror bolts and dremmel cut the cowling for access. The stock R1 mirrors would bolt back on and cover the extra dremmel cut out work on the cowling.

No shims needed for a good mount angle for the '02 - 03. But I saw pix here somewhere that the '04 - '06 needed angled shims to mount the mirrors to square up. I imagine the '07 would need custom shims too. Just find some aluminum plate and dremmel cut and sand the shape and angle you need, or get a nice angle slice cut at a machine shop.

I taped off and painted black-satin spray-can over the edges of the signal lens to better match the shape of the headlights looking head on.

I left my flush-mount side signals in place, better to be seen from the side too.

The Ebay $66 pair of gsx mirrors from tunerx-factory are good quality, maybe OEM factory out the back door.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 R1M
159 Posts
I was looking at doing the gsxr mirrors mod also since I am about to be stationed in Hawaii and the military bases there are psycho about any aftermarket lights on bikes. Now that I have seen the new 08 ZX-10 mirrors and CBR signal mirrors makes me think those might look better and bolt up easier than the gsxr mirrors. Gsxr mirrors don't look that good especially compared to italian bike signal mirrors which are way out of my budget for this mod.

·
Devious Riders M.C.
290 Posts

On my '02 I had to drill another hole for one of the mirror bolts and dremmel cut the cowling for access. The stock R1 mirrors would bolt back on and cover the extra dremmel cut out work on the cowling.

No shims needed for a good mount angle for the '02 - 03. But I saw pix here somewhere that the '04 - '06 needed angled shims to mount the mirrors to square up. I imagine the '07 would need custom shims too. Just find some aluminum plate and dremmel cut and sand the shape and angle you need, or get a nice angle slice cut at a machine shop.

I taped off and painted black-satin spray-can over the edges of the signal lens to better match the shape of the headlights looking head on.

I left my flush-mount side signals in place, better to be seen from the side too.

The Ebay $66 pair of gsx mirrors from tunerx-factory are good quality, maybe OEM factory out the back door.
That looks awsome! I have gixxer mirrors I'm going to install on my 02' as well. Maybe in two weeks or so. We have alot of riding going on right now.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Is that a K7 gixxer tail?

·
I have titanium in my bones
600 Posts

A man of my own taste... perfect '02

·
Older i get, the better i was
417 Posts
Here's some pic's of mine, I made them out of block's of nylon, like frame sliders are made from, then painted them black so you dont even notice them. The only issue i have w/ them is it's harder to take em off for track day's, even w/ male-female disconnect things still takes twice as long as stockers.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 R1M
159 Posts
hmmm I think a smoked lens would look better. I know I saw some on some aftermarket site. But those blinker mirrors from Holland do look slick but at a high price, probably not euro legal definately not dot legal like the gsxr mirrors. hmmm what to do? Or I will wait till honda carries spare parts for the new CBR1000 comin out. Those mirrors with blinkers look nice atleast on pic.

·
'02 R1 ... fly low!
56 Posts
Is that a K7 gixxer tail?
The rear turn signals are ZX-10/ZX-14/Concours assemblies OEM from mrcycles.com. I prototyped with a broken stock tail cowling until they fit well. Then cut a new stock cowling and attached with zip ties inside to the seat frame. They fit tight. They match the lines of the '02 R1 really well, better than the Kawasaki?s.

Now my bike is DOT legal except smog.

mrcycles.com is the lowest prices for OEM parts I've found. They ship quickly.

·
Registered
17 R1M
159 Posts
I could deal with the smoked but I think the buell 1125 led blinker mirrors would look even better. Not sure if they would fit properly? I think yamaha does not care about the asthetic side on blinkers and the aftermarket companies are happy they don't.

·
Registered
17 R1M
159 Posts
or some color matched ducati 1098 blinkers, but the price would not be worth it.

·
Devious Riders M.C.
290 Posts
They have a rapid blink. People have told me I should get a resistor or something like that. But, I like that they blink that way. I'll post pics up as soon as possible. I have white led in the mirrors, so they are pretty bright.

Cheetah: they mount really easy. Measure before you drill. I didn't and I have my right mirror a little bit lowerthan the other. I kind of got used to it already. I gives me a wider view of the road behind me at stop lights and before changing lanes. (I still look over my shoulder though).

·
"The R is for Respect."
27 Posts
check these out, pretty cheap plus the cuts look like they would go great with the r1 Ebay

I just got these today. Tried adapting some bullet connectors so that I can connect them to some LP indy leads that I bought for the wires. Well, I was testing out the Red(+) and White(-) wires that they come with to figure out if they would light up and blink and they did light up but did not blink. The stock connector has 3 wires and these mirrors only have 2. Also, in the process of doing it I blew my fuse. So, I think I'm going to have to connect a relay to them in order to make them blink, and replace my fuse. I'm just not sure how or where to connect that relay. I have one from when I bought my Motrax LED fender elimator kit. By the way, the mirrors I got actually look a lot better in person than they do in that picture. I was quite happy that they weren't gloss black like the way they look on Ebay. So, any suggestions as to properly wire these babies would be great. And as soon as I get them on and working, I'll try and post some pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.