Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 R1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last December, I flipped my 2000 R1. The brakes didn't slow the bike as much as it should've and I ended up entering the curve too hot and ended up in the ditch. I don't want to rebuild the M/C. Since I'll be buying a new one for the front, I might as well upgrade a little. I don't want to replace calipers, lines, or anything else in the front brake system. I saw on another thread that someone said an '05 will work, but lines have to be replaced. Someone else replied that an adapter for the banjo bolts might be found. I can't find any such part. Also, when switching to a radial M/C, is switching to stainless steel lines mandatory b/c it creates much higher pressure and will blow the OEM lines? I don't know how radial brakes are different from the OEM. If I remember correctly, my bike's generation used non-radial, but Yamaha switched to radial 1 or 2 generations later.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Banjo bolts are easy enough to find. You can run pretty much any 7/8" master seeing as it will fit on your clip on. No problem there. The lines should be upgraded to steel, especially if yours are original to the machine, I mean, they can buy alchohol at this point since they are over 21 years of age. That said, you can use rubber lines with a radial. Hell, the r1 ships with a radial and rubber lines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts