Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Border Hopper Imigrant Stopper
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here I am about to turn 23 this coming January (yes, I'm a yougin' :D ) and I'll have the cash come January to just buy a 2006 bike in full (between the R6 and GSRX600, whichever feels more comfortable for my small stature).

So, I've been wanting my own bike for a long time (the bikes I've owned were hand-me-downs from older friends that have upgraded to newer bikes so that i'd have plenty of experience before buying my own bike... so I've got some 2 years roughly under my belt on a few different types of bikes).

And here lies the problem.

Recently, my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD was stolen. Now, my insurance company will pay it off completely or cut me a check to replace it. I don't really want a truck anymore (don't use it, and too much on gas) so I was looking at a few lower expensed cars so I could save some cash...

but, i've never had lower expensed vehicles before (call me spoiled, but I make a pretty good deal of cash for my age and havenever owned anything below $30,000 since i was 16) and i stumbled across the 2006 Lexus IS350...

PERSONALLY, i would like to start saving some cash instead of just spending it on toys...

so, if you were me, would you:

a) get a lower cost vehicle and get the bike
b) get the lexus and NO BIKE (have to wait another 2 years probably) afterall, i'm only young once

the reason I couldn't get the bike if I got the lexus is cause i'd put down the $10k i have saved up for the bike towards the lexus so that my payments would be reasonable at around $300'ish..

:dunno

·
Full Throttle til you see God
516 Posts
There are plenty of nice cars out there for a reasonable price that would allow you to have both. Also, buy used cars, not new. As soon as you drive off the lot you lose close to $3000. Look into a used bimmer or lexus and go buy the technological masterpiece that is the new R6.

·
Administrator
24,868 Posts
How much do you love being on a bike? There's no way I will ever be without a bike. Can you handle being without??? Think about it.... man, I'd get the bike and a nice car. You don't need a lexus. :fact

·
Border Hopper Imigrant Stopper
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevap said:
How much do you love being on a bike? There's no way I will ever be without a bike. Can you handle being without??? Think about it.... man, I'd get the bike and a nice car. You don't need a lexus. :fact
that's a good point... not sure i'd really want to wait any longer for a new bike.

Pariah,
if the new R6 isn't too tall for me and I do decide to buy a bike in the new year, the R6 is my first choice... but with that wide, taller seat, might be going with a suzuki.. in December at the Long Beach Bike Show, i'll know for sure :beer

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Honestly, I think the IS350 is over-priced and over-rated... there are a lot of nice cars out there that will give you a lower monthly payment and still able to get a bike... you can always get something like an Acura TSX, Subaru Lagacy GT, the new Volvo S40, or even a Saab 9-3SS... these are still nice cars and will definitely have a lower monthly payment than a IS350 with decent options on it... unless you're planing to buy the base model(IS250) without any options... :dunno

I would definitely buy the bike and see some other nice cars... :riding

1 - 10 of 10 Posts