Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Certified Beaver Hunter 02/03.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdie guys. Now I've been thinking... Yamaha claims (and I'm sure they're right) that they have tilted the '04 engine another 40 degrees forward. Now I have talked to many people about the R1 and trying to stunt it etc. Of coarse EVERYBODY complains about the extremely high balance point on both the R1 and R6 (which has an EVEN higher balance point). I have learned that part of the reason for this is that the Yamahas have engines that are angled further forward. Therefore I was wondering... if Yamaha tilted the engine another 40 degrees further forward wouldn't it make the '04 R1 even harder to stunt. I mean that would THEORETICALLY bring the balance point even higher. I suppose there are other issues which may come into affect that we will only see when the 04 comes out. However I thought this was pretty logical... What do you guys think???

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow

Corny said:
Oh trust me, Yamaha only had stunting in mind when they designed the R1.
WOW. What an intelligent remark. I am simply blown away by your in depth answer, along with all the interesting knowledge you have shared with this community on the subject. Perhaps I posted my "stunting" question in the "Stunting Forum" for a reason...

I'm sorry if this seems a little harsh because it probably is.

·
6,235 Posts
Well, tilting the engine forward a bit more will mean that when you're at 12 with the R1 the oil will be closer to the oil pickup than it was before. Which is Good in regards for stunting.

And no, why would the balance point be any smaller just because they change the angle of the engine? It'd change if they decide to move the engine further back or tilt it backwards.

And the big reason for the R1's troublematic balance point is because of the cheer length of the R1. Just compare it to any other bike and you will see that it sticks out, prolly 4-5 inches longer.

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
From the 2002 R1 New Features and Benefits list from Yamaha:

"Solid-mounted engine has been raised 20mm inside new frame, centralizing rider/machine mass for quicker cornering transitions."

For 2004, the cylinder head is angled 10 degrees further forward for a total angle of 40 degrees: "Re-angled cylinder head– 40 degrees forward instead of 30– optimizes weight distribution, straightens intake tracts for improved cylinder filling, and allows frame to pass over instead of around the engine for great strength."

Angling of the head will have no impact on center of gravity. However, I see nothing with the '04 suggesting the center of gravity will be lower either. There is some mention of moving the alternator and lowering the tranny for a lower center of gravity of the engine, but no where does it specifically say the bikes center of gravity is lower, like the '02 specifically said the center of gravity was higher.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mxracer95 said:
So my guess is the '04 will still be a difficult stunt bike!
Ahhhh ok. Thanks mxracer95... So it's 10 degrees further for a total of 40 degrees. My mistake.

·
Wheelie Junkie!
7,686 Posts
mxracer95 said:
So my guess is the '04 will still be a difficult stunt bike!
Not if your trying to do rolling stoppies!:lol

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
anyone wanna volunteer to let me ride their 04 and i'll get to the bottom of the balancepoint issue hehe.

but yea, i am 99% sure the 04 will be just as much of a bitch as the 02-03 and 98-01's. oh well! hehe.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This will probably be more in-depth than you want, and still probably not answer your question because I don't wanna go out and measure an '04 vs my '99 anyway, but here'se the skinny on stunting.

Balance point is all about obtaining longitudinal and to a lesser extent lateral stability right, so we got to talk about C.G. (Center of Gravity). To explain CG I need to explain Moments and Arms. All objects rotate about their centers of gravity is called "moments." A moment is said to be equal to the product of the force applied and the distance at which the force is applied. (A moment arm is the distance from a datum [reference point or line] to the applied force.)

With that said to actually figure this out, you need to take the same rider and put him on the 2 bikes. You can probably figure out the CG of each bike and the one with the CG farther from the force applied (the rear wheel) will be easier to bring up. However ot balance the one farther away will be more difficult.

But again that's way more indepth and we could probably get into how to find CG but is it worth it? Just crank on it and see! Anyone up for a wheelie test drive?

·
ROCK OUT W/UR **** OUT
155 Posts
"bertr1" said:
No nobody has thought of the swingarm? The design of the swingarm and where the weight lies will attribute a higher balance point if thats even possible cause its pretty high as is!
:iamwithst YOU TOTALLY AMAZED ME WITH THAT !!!!! MABEY YOU DO KNOW SOMETHING AFTER ALL. YOU HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THIS SITE THAT WAS EVEN WORTH READING.:confused: WAY TO GO!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts