Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a copy of the shop manual for the '04 R1 the other day, and it has some interesting tidbits in it (although this stuff may have been around in previous generation R1s as well...)

First off the LCD display has a diagnostic mode which is accessed by holding both the select and reset buttons down while turning the bike on. This mode can display a long list of OBDII-style info right on the LCD. Amusingly, one of the fault codes for this mode is listed as "motorcycle has overturned". Don't think you'll need a computer to tell you that!

For you anal dyno tuners out there, there is also a display mode that allows you to precisely adjust the air/fuel mixture on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis. Could be useful, in conjunction with a CO detector, to attempt to set the ideal stoichiometric mixture.

Interesting how deeply computerized bikes are these days.

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
ExHondaGuy said:
I got a copy of the shop manual for the '04 R1 the other day, and it has some interesting tidbits in it (although this stuff may have been around in previous generation R1s as well...)

First off the LCD display has a diagnostic mode which is accessed by holding both the select and reset buttons down while turning the bike on. This mode can display a long list of OBDII-style info right on the LCD. Amusingly, one of the fault codes for this mode is listed as "motorcycle has overturned". Don't think you'll need a computer to tell you that!

For you anal dyno tuners out there, there is also a display mode that allows you to precisely adjust the air/fuel mixture on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis. Could be useful, in conjunction with a CO detector, to attempt to set the ideal stoichiometric mixture.

Being able to adjust FI has been done since '02. Unless you have access to an O2 analyzer, I wouldn't suggest it! Yes, you can adjust it, but it does it to the ECU and if you mess it up, your screwed! At least with a power commander, you can unplug it and go back to stock settings to get home. This is for only Knowledgeable people familiar with this system.

·
Registered
253 Posts
please dont tell me that i was just messing with it the other day can someone please tell me what the stock setting is for their bike?please!!!

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
ExHondaGuy said:
!

I think it only allows course limited adjustments?

·
Booya
34,561 Posts
Ya, same here. If anyone has a link or anything for the pdf file, let me know. That or just tell me where you buy the book.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts

·
Booya
34,561 Posts
Right...so call me a moron...but whats the difference between the YZF-R1S and the YZF-R1SC

·
Beer me
3,889 Posts
Sabian said:
Right...so call me a moron...but whats the difference between the YZF-R1S and the YZF-R1SC
As far as I know (which isn't a lot), the YZF-R1SC is the Cali model.:beer

·
Booya
34,561 Posts
Works for me...unless someone says different. Thanks Blue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts