Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good mate of a mate of a mate who works closely with Yamaha told me last night....

Information for next years R1 is soon to slowly start trickling out...

Yamaha have done it again (like with the R6 in 06) and the bike is likely to be radically different from previous generations.

The big news is that the engine may be a 999cc or higher like the old 1002cc Thunder Ace as Yamaha are interested in launching an intermediate bike (800cc likely) after the continual success of Suzuki's GSX-R 750.

The bike is likely to be more race orientated like the new ZX10R and may offer a true traction control.

Yamaha are often come with innovation and radical new metal so I'm very interested in what they do to the R1.

As much as people didn't want to hear it, the 07 bike was always a stop gap...Sort of like the 05 R6.

Enjoy... :)

· Booya
34,924 Posts
I'll speculate come September. Your mate should know that in the history of bikes nothing has been intentionally released before September, and the accidental releases dont' happen until about two weeks before hand. It's Jan, sit tight, enjoy the snow or sun wherever you happen to be, ride your stop gap of a 07 or in your case, enjoy your 04 and wait like the rest of us until September. Why excite the noobs and squids?

· Booya
34,924 Posts
Why? Yamaha will make the official announcement then so no need to speculate (or is that what you mean?) :)

It's just fun :saw:
Yes, that is what I mean.

· Ghostrider Squadron
9,259 Posts
to answer ur question.. yes its too early. everyone seems to have friend that works for yamaha, yamaha rep, or so on. trust me when i say even yamaha reps, that work for company..dont know anything about new bike and wont until they have meeting 2 weeks prior to dealer show. unless ur guy works for yamaha japan, iwouldnt bank on his word just yet. its 50-50..he could be right, he could be wrong. if he is up high enuff at yamaha to know..he wouldnt be telling someone info this early or risk loosing his job. could interfer with 08 sales.

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to answer ur question.. yes its too early. everyone seems to have friend that works for yamaha, yamaha rep, or so on. trust me when i say even yamaha reps, that work for company..dont know anything about new bike and wont until they have meeting 2 weeks prior to dealer show. unless ur guy works for yamaha japan, iwouldnt bank on his word just yet. its 50-50..he could be right, he could be wrong. if he is up high enuff at yamaha to know..he wouldnt be telling someone info this early or risk loosing his job. could interfer with 08 sales.
You're right ofcourse and this is a fairly tongue in cheek kind of thread...

I will say that any information that is 'leaked' is likely to be something Yamaha wants...Just like every other big company with a new product on the horizon.

It generates hype, media attention etc...Not too bad for company shares you know ;)

On another note...I rode an 07 for the first time yesterday....Hmmm...Wasn't exactly impressed.

It felt like it had less grunt than my 04 and reved slower.....This was me pining the throttle in first gear to the limiter...On my 04, the wheel wants to come up...On the 07....Nice and calm

I will say the 07 felt noticeably lighter and easier to turn side to side...The mass must be even more centralised than mine as on paper its heavier...Plus it was bone stock and mine is quite modified so that must explain why it felt slower.

· Booya
34,924 Posts
:stpd:

· Ghostrider Squadron
9,259 Posts
i agree that stuff is intentionally leaked sometimes. the flyby wire and adjustable stacks were prior to 07. rode several 07's..all stock geared and i can say same thing. funny tried to do launch on one. 7k rpms and hammered throttle.. big fell on its face and bogged down. still awesome bike.. cmon yamaha..fix bottom end power.

· Premium Member
47,477 Posts
As long as you post credible information with reasonably good sources/supporting info........sure, it's fair game. However, all of what you just posted could be surmised by anybody who's read the last 3 months worth of industry rags.

· w00t w00t
129 Posts
I would really like to see a 750-800cc YZF bike. Take a look at the market Triumph 675, GSXR 750, Duc 848. There are bikes out there in this class and if yamaha makes one they are going to be taking market share for sure. There are sales to be made and I think it would be a very good business move.
rideco

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i agree that stuff is intentionally leaked sometimes. the flyby wire and adjustable stacks were prior to 07. rode several 07's..all stock geared and i can say same thing. funny tried to do launch on one. 7k rpms and hammered throttle.. big fell on its face and bogged down. still awesome bike.. cmon yamaha..fix bottom end power.
I'm quite looking forward to buying an 07...

Especially when the 'I gotta have the latest bike' brigade sell up to buy 09s.

I'll be buying a bike with less than 3000 miles, that has 'never seen rain' for not much money :D

Then the bike will get the life it deserves ;)

· Registered
41 Posts
I just hope Yamaha sustains their sex appeal. Seems as if all the other manufacturers are competing to see who can build the ugliest bike. I think the GSXR is winning right now!

· yield
17,882 Posts
Hmmmm..... zx-10, true traction control. Not as I understand. True traction control usually is adaptable. Can someone chime in here... Dont get me wrong the zx platform sounds very cool. It is cool, and as well what is 'true traction control'

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.